Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] Dry January [and beyond...]

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Still here - and haven't touched a drop since New Years Eve. :thumbsup:

A previous poster on here said he set 'drinking dates' or planned days. I think that's what I may aim for... We're going round to the Mrs' friends (and her husband) for Dinner in early March, so I might drink then. I'll see on the night, but I'm doing January drink-free - then February drink-free with exercise.

A few points which I'll share, for those who are interested (if you're not - no need to read on, or reply.. :))

* I've lost absolutely no weight. Not an ounce. However, that may be because I'm eating Pain au Raisins for breakfast, drinking twice as many Lattes, and eating chocolate. I'm also drinking fresh Juices in the evenings, which I know are sugar-tastic. I'm eating fairly healthy lunches and dinners though. February, I'll start cutting back on crap food and concentrate on diet and exercise as well as not drinking. One step at a time... It'll be nice to exercise again. Running hung over and chronically dehydrated never worked for me.

* I still get little unintentional 'pangs of excitement' when I pass some of the places I used to buy alcohol from. There's a little shop on the A267 just after you come out of Tunbridge Wells which does some cracking wines and beers, plus some belting cheeses - and as I drove up that road today for the first time this month I got all excited.. then kept driving... There are a few bars I drive past, too - and I get that little 'ooh, yes.. I'll have a pint please, and I'll murder the bugger' feeling. All habit, and my brain associating them with 'pleasure'.

* My first beer of the night when I got home was the most pleasurable. So, I have an ice cold Heineken 0,0 waiting in the fridge for me. As soon as dinner goes on, crack - opened and necked. No alcohol, but my stupid little brain gets what it wants - and my liver doesn't. Eventually my walnut will learn that I'm yanking its chain, and the craving will wear off. Even if it doesn't - it's still alcohol free, so no big deal.

* For some reason my eyes feel wide open ALL DAY !! I now realise I spent most of my day trying hard to keep them open. I was permanently knackered through crap sleep, clearly. My thoughts are clearer, I'm more motivated, and I do have more energy. Not shed loads more, just more.

* Finally.. the big one. Alcohol affects us in many different ways, and we all have our own reactions when we cut it out, to varying degrees. Mine? When I was drinking I was anxious. Not 'stressed', just anxious. The slightest thing would have me pissed off. A stone chip on the car windscreen, an unexpected bill, a deal not coming off, losing something, damaging something - all trivial things, but I felt like my world had sunk three levels if they happened. Totally irrational, I know. However... it's like a cloak has been lifted since I've stopped drinking. I don't feel anxious, I'm SO much calmer, and if a problem presents itself I either file it as 'unimportant' or deal with it on the spot (because I'm much more motivated and have more energy!). It's a win/win - and if I were to pin a rosette on anything that's come from going Alcohol Free for January - this is it. A bit corny, but I feel like a different person to the one I was just over three weeks ago. In such a short space of time, but hey - I'm not complaining.

If anyone is reading this who drinks, please believe me when I say that I used to look at people saying what I've just written and think 'you boring tosser.. get a life and have a drink'. Well, for the record I was up in London with the Mrs at the weekend (Brick Lane / Spitalfields area) and we went to a lovely restaurant then to some rocking bars and pubs - and I felt like a boring tosser drinking Tonic Water and OJ at the time. The next morning though I looked back, with a clear head and no hangover - and realised that the reason I knew the pubs and bars were rocking was because I could remember everything.... I actually enjoyed the moment.

Anyway.. that's me lot.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Thanks Knocky's Nose, I'm glad you gave NSC another go.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Also still going, and finding it remarkably easy.

The weekend brought another challenge: dinner with friends where drinking all evening is the done thing. I'd normally rock up with six bottles of strong cider and a bottle of red, and get through most of it. On Saturday I went with a bottle of sparkling water and a lemon.

As the evening wore on, I suddenly became aware that I was the only sober one and I found myself willing for the evening to end so I could get home. It was the first time I felt a little bit "odd" not being on the booze with everyone else, including my partner.

Weigh in day today - another 4.25lbs off, making 8.75lbs in two weeks.

Stumpy Tim

As the evening wore on, I suddenly became aware that I was the only sober one and I found myself willing for the evening to end so I could get home. It was the first time I felt a little bit "odd" not being on the booze with everyone else, including my partner.

While this is true, I have found myself thinking how annoying drunk people are when you're sober - and that's why you want to go home. It actually turns me off alcohol even more

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1

Me too, initial plan was to just do dry Jan but I am now enjoying not drinking that I may carry it on for a bit. Not going to be too harsh on myself though, if I fancy a drink in the near future then I will have one.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Still going. Not missing booze. Family Sunday lunch at the weekend, out with friends on Saturday. Not an issue.

I still think I like the taste of beer (you don't btw - you become acclimatised - but you won't believe me, so moving on) and need to get past that. But otherwise really enjoying the break.

Have yet to decide how long I'll go for, but sharing the idea with friends that it won;t just be January. I suspect their support and encouragement will be key.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes

The weekend brought another challenge: dinner with friends where drinking all evening is the done thing. I'd normally rock up with six bottles of strong cider and a bottle of red, and get through most of it. On Saturday I went with a bottle of sparkling water and a lemon.

Weigh in day today - another 4.25lbs off, making 8.75lbs in two weeks.

Well done .... I could never do that!

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Yes, still there, this is despite:

Dinner Party
Two Business Dinners
Four Pub Visits and
Black Tie Awards Dinner

Lost 7.5lbs and saved a bleedin' fortune!

Have to say it has, as at today, changed my attitude to drinking, especially midweek. So looking forward to the 1st Feb but not in a craving way, will have a drink a couple of times a week but aim to be well with a TRUE 21 units!

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
I’m still going strong- seeing lots of the benefits others are - overall mood is much better and am much more stable across the day, thinking and decision making is much clearer / easier. My quality of work has improved. I sleep better and feel more refreshed in the morning. I have lost weight, I am less inclined to eat crap and my digestion is much better.

Haven’t been out very often so don’t have much to report on that front- I can imagine it’s going to be a bit of a revolution being out with others who are on a bender.

Have no intention to start drinking again at this point as it seems too good on this side of the fence..

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Still going here too, got through my stressed ECG today, which was harder than I was expecting exertion wise. F**k knows how your average cabbie/truck driver copes with running up a proper incline at. 5mph for. 5 minutes!

I don't want to completely stop drinking, but am still deliberating how best to enjoy a few on occaision, without getting back into old habits of enjoying more than a few every day!

Knocky's Nose

May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
I don't want to completely stop drinking, but am still deliberating how best to enjoy a few on occasion, without getting back into old habits of enjoying more than a few every day!

Well done mate!

You're exactly where I am. I think 'planned' dates for drinking, plus no drinking in the house might work for me... It's the 'home drinking' which is/was my biggest issue.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Night out bowling with my work colleagues. Many beers, the saki with dinner. Not tempted at all and don't feel I missed out. Frankly I'm staggered by the effect the alcohol experiment ha has on me. Don't feel like I'm being tempted. In fact some interesting chat with the team about sugar in your diet and how much damage it can do. Keep at it chums.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Funnily enough this Friday is seemingly the hardest, not sure if it's too close to month end or just the result of a tough week, I won't drink, but really fancy a beer. Treated myself to some Becks Blue to watch the footie tonight and then I'll be over it. Not sure what I'll do next Friday, a drinking session it won't be but I'll have a couple and enjoy it but then nothing at least four days a week and, as many have said, no booze in the house.

Stumpy Tim

Funnily enough this Friday is seemingly the hardest, not sure if it's too close to month end or just the result of a tough week, I won't drink, but really fancy a beer. Treated myself to some Becks Blue to watch the footie tonight and then I'll be over it. Not sure what I'll do next Friday, a drinking session it won't be but I'll have a couple and enjoy it but then nothing at least four days a week and, as many have said, no booze in the house.

Was thinking the exact same thing. Really fancied a beer earlier this evening, though the temptation is waning. Next Friday it’s date night with the wife. May have a glass of wine, but will drive

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Was thinking the exact same thing. Really fancied a beer earlier this evening, though the temptation is waning. Next Friday it’s date night with the wife. May have a glass of wine, but will drive

Had a very long Sunday lunch yesterday, 1.30 - 8.30, water all the way and still a great laugh, would have been better with a beer and wine at the time but I do know I'm definitely feeling better than everyone else this morning! 28 days in and feeling good and 9 1/2 lbs lighter! Next month intend to drink 2 days a week, although not to excess; also planning to start more fitness and then try to lose 5 lb a month.

Stumpy Tim

Had a very long Sunday lunch yesterday, 1.30 - 8.30, water all the way and still a great laugh, would have been better with a beer and wine at the time but I do know I'm definitely feeling better than everyone else this morning! 28 days in and feeling good and 9 1/2 lbs lighter! Next month intend to drink 2 days a week, although not to excess; also planning to start more fitness and then try to lose 5 lb a month.

I've not drunk and not eaten meat (still eating fish) for the whole of January. I started the month at 80kgs, and weighed myself this morning - still 80kgs. Annoying!

Knocky's Nose

May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
I've not drunk and not eaten meat (still eating fish) for the whole of January. I started the month at 80kgs, and weighed myself this morning - still 80kgs. Annoying!

I've still not lost an ounce either...

February is no drinking AND excercising AND watching what I eat... I'll have that Matthew Kelly gone by Summer if it's the last thing I do. :glare:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Easy weekend to get through - drove to the game and got there only just before kick-off. It didn't even cross my mind to have a drink on either evening at home, whereas I normally would have a fair few.

I'll weigh myself tomorrow as I started being better with my diet on Tuesday 8th. Can't imagine it's been another 4lb+ weight loss this week though, as it will slow down after the easy start.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here