Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] Dry January [and beyond...]

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Is anyone giving it a go? If so what are your motives? What are you going to find hardest?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Is anyone giving it a go? If so what are your motives? What are you going to find hardest?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have a few bits of alcohol left over from the holiday season and will finish it off in order not to be tempted! Won't be the full 31 days but as soon as it's gone it'll be dry time until the end of the month. Liver could do with a rest and a bit of repair I think! Won't find it hard, as a rule I don't drink from Sunday night to Friday evening anyway.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I was still drinkinking at 2am today so it’s next jan for me.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Was toying with the idea, but then my office decided to send me on a week long training course in Prague on 14th, so absolutely no hope at all of doing it :lolol:

WildWood

Sep 6, 2011
Chichester
Had my last drink on 2nd March 2013 (after beating Huddersfield 4-1 at home!)

If you can conquer these 2 things, youll be laughing:

The thought of going out & not drinking is always 10 times worse than the night itself. Once you’re out - the night is always as good as if you had had a drink, honest!

Find yourself a non alcoholic drink that you actually enjoy! It’s harder than it sounds as the non alcoholic beers (in this country anyway) are god awful. It really adds to the challenge if you’re stood at the bar, not wanting anything on the menu - so find a lime & lemonade or whatever that you will actually enjoy, it makes the night out so much easier!

The money I’ve saved as a result of not drinking is significant & I get to spend more time with my son, rather than suffering in bed all weekend with a hangover, so I wouldn’t go back but the feeling of wanting a beer doesn’t go away (especially at the football!)

Best of luck with it.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Am going to attempt a dry 2019. Just want to feel healthier and save money.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Imagine waking up in the morning sober and thinking that’s the best you’re going to feel all day.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
West ham tomorrow has already ruined it

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I try this every year. The one year I (mostly) succeeded I was mainly dry from Jan to April, took up running, lost quite a bit of weight and did my first ever 10k.

Since then I have lasted 10 - 20 days. Typically football or a meal out will scupper it.

This year I am going to go from Jan to April again if I can. I've been given a head start in that I couldn't drink last night and I want to be at minimum possible weight for Brighton Marathon in April.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
I gave up drinking at end of July because the GP wanted to check something wasn't to do with alcohol. So i did what i was told.
As it turns out a week or so later i was given clean bill of health (i was being a bit of hypochondriac) but decided not to go back to drinking (was happy with soft drinks, tea, and non alcoholic beer instead).
Managed to survive all social tests so far (christmas, football, meals out, birthdays) and there's been a bunch of sleeping, health, ££ benefits. It was (really) hard at first but now don't even think about it.
155 days so far. I use an app called "Drink Less" which helps as a motivator, logging units drunk per day. This is good as a motivator - there are others.
https://drinklessalcohol.com/

And you'd be surprised at the range and quality of non alcoholic beers if you like that sort of thing even Harvey's. (i've got used to tea, lime/soda, Coke Zero but also sometimes 0.5% beer). There's even one of those craft beer type online shops . I've enjoyed sampling lots of different types and the odd one (Brewdog's Nanny State, Adnams Ghost Ship are really good).
https://drydrinker.com/shop/

At the Albion/awaydays i just drink tea now or sometimes Bovril. (the soft drinks/cola is normally not cold enough), or coffee from the place outside.
I play football and now have started running (badly) - i think exercise also helps. Its useful to have a target as [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] says (a 10K, losing weight).

Good luck. i never thought i'd ever stop drinking completely. Even for a month... Give it a go.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Do they sell any bottles of non alcoholic beer - presumably Heineken 0 - in the concourses at the Amex ?

If not, Barber needs to sort it, as I suspect there is too much 'borderline limit driving' away from the Amex currently.

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free
Just failed with a bottle of London Pride at lunch. With West Ham tomorrow night too it was only a matter of time.

To be honest it wasn’t on the cards for me right now, but I have done 3 month stretches before without conscious effort and the health benefits are well worth it (more energy, weight loss, etc...), so I wish everyone doing this well with their mission.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Do they sell any bottles of non alcoholic beer - presumably Heineken 0 - in the concourses at the Amex ?

If not, Barber needs to sort it, as I suspect there is too much 'borderline limit driving' away from the Amex currently.

Good point.

I need to drink less, so that's my goal for 2019. I enjoy a wine or an ice cold beer of an evening so much I can't quite contemplate cutting it out yet. It's part of my routine, and breaking a routine (for me) can be a drawn out process.

Would I like to stop drinking completely? I'm not sure. I think yes, and I gave up booze for 3 months last year - but by crikey I missed it.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I’ve never been one for Dry January etc as normally not a big drinker during the week, but the last year or so I’ve definitely been drinking more in the week, at weekends at home etc.

Going to try and cut right back again and not really drink at home, not during the week etc. Not been able to do any real exercise since October either due to an injury so the two combined are definitely having a negative effect

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Good luck to all doing it. I went most of November dry in a bit too shift a bit of timber. On hols at the moment, so won't be repeating the experience this month!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea
Last January, due to crazy liver function tests, a need to get rid of the anxiety that lives in me, and further investigations I followed my GPs advice and heavily cut back on booze. I used an online resource, www.alcoholexperiment.com; which is very engaging, teaches you about alcohol, and tracks your progress.

I now only drink when I’ve planned to. Next beer will be end of March for Mrs Rover’s Birthday.

Anyone looking for a drink to replace your usual tipple should ask for a ‘gunners’ at the bar.

1 bottle of ginger beer in a pint glass
Ice
Lemonade
Splash of lime cordial
Angostura bitters

Delicious!!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports