Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] Dry January [and beyond...]

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
The Adrian Chiles programme is exactly what I was talking about when I said: "part of the problem with drink, particularly amongst the middle-aged middle-class, is that it has become quite an acceptable thing to drink what could be considered heavily", ie heavy drinkers who aren't heavy drinkers, and I think ti describes many of us of a certain age for who having a few drinks, often at home and often with friends, is commonplace.

Just keeping a log over a couple of weeks did this for me, and I'm not in any way a party animal. But a beer after work a couple of times a week, literally two pints, but then a glass of wine with dinner, the odd networking meeting, business dinner and a couple of pints at footie, before you knew it, IF you measure correctly, its 45 units, yes 45!!

So when someone, who I know drinks 3-4 pints of Stella a night, outside of football and any other social occasion, says they drink about 25 units a week I call b*llsh*t. That's 2.7 units x say 3 pints x 7 = 56.7units BEFORE The Amex beers, social events etc. Many of us are kidding ourselves.

I don't drink anywhere near what I use to, but would still be considered a heavy drinker by unit guidelines. I have cut down even more this month, but I still took 4 wine bottles to recycle yesterday + had 2 pints of beer at football ..... still way over suggested guidelines. I do feel much better in the mornings, was so use to having a groggy head I thought it was normal.
I don't even like feeling drunk, just enjoy a glass or three of wine in the evening whilst preparing/eating a meal

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Whilst walking the dog this lunchtime and reflecting on all this a bit more, I've kinda decided that I won't drink before mid-March when we're going to see James at the Royal Albert Hall, but only if I've hit a weight loss target by then.

Since injuring my knee and not running for over a year and a half now, the weight has gradually slipped on and it's time to get it off. Although I stopped drinking on the 2nd (wine in the fridge I didn't want to waste on the 1st), I was still being a bit of a pig up until January 7th finishing the last of the Christmas cheese mountain. So, Tuesday 8th January was my starting point and, weighing in today, I've lost 4.5 lbs in the first week.

I usually walk 5 or 6 miles a day with the dog so being AF for a while combined with not being such a pig should give me a reasonable chance. We'll see...

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Whilst walking the dog this lunchtime and reflecting on all this a bit more, I've kinda decided that I won't drink before mid-March when we're going to see James at the Royal Albert Hall, but only if I've hit a weight loss target by then.

Since injuring my knee and not running for over a year and a half now, the weight has gradually slipped on and it's time to get it off. Although I stopped drinking on the 2nd (wine in the fridge I didn't want to waste on the 1st), I was still being a bit of a pig up until January 7th finishing the last of the Christmas cheese mountain. So, Tuesday 8th January was my starting point and, weighing in today, I've lost 4.5 lbs in the first week.

I usually walk 5 or 6 miles a day with the dog so being AF for a while combined with not being such a pig should give me a reasonable chance. We'll see...

I had an ankle Op that went seriously wrong (six weeks in hospital with infection) in 2012, since then I used every excuse possible not to exercise having convinced myself that my ankle was far too weak. Summer last year got to your stage, had enough and needed to shift some weight, the ankle is far better for it and life is good (along with not hitting the booze!!) Good luck!

zefarelly

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Has anyone else doing DJ got a cold ? I don't recall having had one for a few years, but have picked one up and its been lingering about 10 days now . . .

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis

Good luck Boz, which James you going to see??

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Keep it up one and all. Alcohol free trip to Old Trafford tomorrow. I will fancy a beer on the train up when everyone else is BUT I will not miss that headache that kicks in during the second half and post match once you've stopped the beers.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Has anyone else doing DJ got a cold ? I don't recall having had one for a few years, but have picked one up and its been lingering about 10 days now . . .

Yes started 10 days ago, keep sneezing. Normally by now it would have gone to my chest but it hasn’t I guess that’s to do with giving up the fags as well

Stumpy Tim

Keep it up one and all. Alcohol free trip to Old Trafford tomorrow. I will fancy a beer on the train up when everyone else is BUT I will not miss that headache that kicks in during the second half and post match once you've stopped the beers.

Same. I'm taking my 7 year old. We did Man City away last year and I didn't drink at all on the way up or at the game... but couldn't resist wine on the way back! Should be ok tomorrow, but well aware the temptation will be coming

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

That's brought back a horrible recollection of last season's league visit to Old Trafford.

I drank on the way up, as I've done to so many away games before, but developed a pounding headache during the game. I remember sitting with my head in my hands at half-time just trying to wish it away. [MENTION=236]Papa Lazarou[/MENTION] suffered the same fate so, once we'd got the tram back to the city centre, we raided Boots, buying up every type of painkiller we could. I gulped down the heady cocktail of drugs and managed to get to sleep on the train back to London.

It didn't last long, because our mutual friend [MENTION=2422]Tony Meolas Loan Spell[/MENTION], who I guess you're going with tomorrow, walked down the train and shouted at me to wake me up. I really didn't enjoy most of that day.

Back on topic - still dry here, and it's easy peasy, although March 9th does feel a long time away right now!

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

I'm taking a break from my Dryurary tomorrow. Beyond the first three hours of the year, I've held out so far, but I always said that I'd break this fast for the Manchester trip. I think I might try and make this a permanent fixture in January, and then will revert to just drinking weekend nights (which I mostly adhere to).

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Beyond giving up booze, what have you done to lose 4.5 lbs?

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
That's brought back a horrible recollection of last season's league visit to Old Trafford. I drank on the way up, as I've done to so many away games before, but developed a pounding headache during the game. I remember sitting with my head in my hands at half-time just trying to wish it away. [MENTION=236]Papa Lazarou[/MENTION] suffered the same fate so, once we'd got the tram back to the city centre, we raided Boots, buying up every type of painkiller we could. I gulped down the heady cocktail of drugs and managed to get to sleep on the train back to London. It didn't last long, because our mutual friend [MENTION=2422]Tony Meolas Loan Spell[/MENTION], who I guess you're going with tomorrow, walked down the train and shouted at me to wake me up. I really didn't enjoy most of that day.

Back on topic - still dry here, and it's easy peasy, although March 9th does feel a long time away right now!

It has happened a few times to me at the football, the problem is you drink all morning up till about 2.15 then stop, if feels like an early hangover kicking in! Yuck.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Still going strong here. Headaches that I had each morning until around 10th have gone (think that was sugar withdrawal).

Pub quiz last night (oh yes, I live the highlife) and two diet cokes. Interesting to see how friends have reacted. Most were versions of "you'll be fun again in Feb". Reflecting on that today.

Don't worry about making it to 31st - but wondering if I'll give up for good or not.

Keep it up folks - not long now.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Beyond giving up booze, what have you done to lose 4.5 lbs?

Just eating a bit better. I can be a massive pig, so I'm just trying to be a little less of a pig. As I said above - given zero booze intake and the walking I do with the dog, much of which is at a pretty rapid pace, I'd expect the weight to fall off quite easily at first.

zefarelly

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
If it's any consolation Bozza, I walk the dog, at 4mph, run twice a week and just did a punishing hour+ of Pilates today as well, I have only lost a few pounds, the cold weather and my work don't help, the workshops cold and I'm craving energy via food!

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Just eating a bit better. I can be a massive pig, so I'm just trying to be a little less of a pig. As I said above - given zero booze intake and the walking I do with the dog, much of which is at a pretty rapid pace, I'd expect the weight to fall off quite easily at first.

I also can be a massive pig, and I've tried too to be less of one. Eating better too. No pounds falling off though :tantrum:

SUA Seagull

Jul 23, 2016
Stratford-upon-Avon
Don't worry about making it to 31st - but wondering if I'll give up for good or not.

I've been dry since NY Eve as has my wife so that's definitely helped as I haven't been tempted by her having a drink. Fizzy water with lime cordial has become my tipple of choice!

I have lost about 4lb so far and have been making an effort to eat [a bit] more healthily and exercise more (3-4 hours a week in the gym and a lot of walking).

I definitely feel a lot better for it and am sure that I will scale back my drinking once Feb arrives. I have been pleasantly surprised by how little I have missed alcohol. When I started dry January (for the first time ever) I thought it would be a problem to adhere to the challenge but it has actually been a lot easier than I thought.

Now I'm "in the zone" and am definitely seeing health advantages I am confident that I will reduce my alcohol consumption once Feb arrives, which I fully intend to do as part of a long term diet regime. I prefer moderation to total abstention - I tried that once on a mega-diet years ago and found the whole experience rather miserable.

albiongirl

Jul 10, 2003
mileoak
I have had a stupid viral thing on and off for weeks so haven't felt like drinking. Today is the first day I'm really craving a lovely large glass of wine. So instead I shall be having this evening sugar free 7up. I am also eating healthier which is hard work so tomorrow is treat day at Old Trafford otherwise I'll go mad!! So far lost 7lbs.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here