Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] Dry January [and beyond...]

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
First big challenge this weekend.

Historically it's a beer or two before the game in WSL. Just a (topless) diet coke this time. Fancied a beer but I'm sure that was just habit.

Then a big Sunday roast at ours for friends yesterday. Two occasions I thought about a drink: when I was preparing the veg and as people arrived. Seemed odd not to be offering them a drink (they know I'm doing dry Jan and they offered to go 'dry for the sabbath' - supportive in a piss-taking kind of a way).

Didn't miss it at all.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Had a stressful weekend thanks to some mortgage woes. Really wanted a pint yesterday but resisted and feel better for it today.

I'm not sure if I'll continue this past January but it's certainly a change up for me.
[MENTION=35524]Knocky's Nose[/MENTION] - I'm also getting some weird sleeping habits developing. Despite getting to bed early enough (10pm or so) and waking up around 7.30am I feel utterly shattered for a good hour.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Conversely, I'd respectfully disagree with nearly all of that.. !!

I think you mean 40 cigarettes a day (or at least I hope you do!) and people who smoke 40 a day may indeed be judged as 'fag ash' or 'old chimney bollocks' - but nowhere near as someone who gets drunk in their own home every night, behind closed doors, almost secretively. That's way 'darker' when judged against a heavy smoker, or persistent over-eater.

As for being acceptable to be a heavy drinker, it depends. If you're the one in the pub or bar who's laughing loud and playing the arse every single night you're a 'funny bloke / hilarious bird'. If you're chugging a bottle of wine or two, plus beer, plus spirits (or whatever you drink, heavily) on your own, in your home, every single night until you pass out on the sofa - that's something you'd want to hide. It's embarrassing, and you wouldn't even want to admit that to yourself, never mind others. If you drink heavily, regularly, you know you have an issue. 100%. Wether you choose to admit it or not, it's there - like a sodding great African Elephant in the corner of the room, perched next to the lampshade, staring at you....

Some people choose not to face it, and they are the people who rail against the people who don't drink - or appear on threads like this. Fair play to them, I don't judge. I've been the same in the past. :)

The Adrian Chiles programme is exactly what I was talking about when I said: "part of the problem with drink, particularly amongst the middle-aged middle-class, is that it has become quite an acceptable thing to drink what could be considered heavily", ie heavy drinkers who aren't heavy drinkers, and I think ti describes many of us of a certain age for who having a few drinks, often at home and often with friends, is commonplace.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Good to hear the stories on this thread. I'm on Day 166 now . Never thought i'd stop drinking for such a long period of time but you can... and even trigger points (for me that was early evening at home after work, football matches, evening train journeys, restaurants ) no longer mean beer/wine/cider purchases once the habit is broken.
PS: a really useful documentary that was discussed on here at the time - Adrian Chiles looking at his own alcohol consumption is still on iPlayer.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0bhkc8b/drinkers-like-me-adrian-chiles

I'm not being critical, but what made you decide to stop drinking completely? I personally don't think drinking socially or on special occasions, as long as it's not to excess, is a bad thing at all.

Tim Over Whelmed

Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
The Adrian Chiles programme is exactly what I was talking about when I said: "part of the problem with drink, particularly amongst the middle-aged middle-class, is that it has become quite an acceptable thing to drink what could be considered heavily", ie heavy drinkers who aren't heavy drinkers, and I think ti describes many of us of a certain age for who having a few drinks, often at home and often with friends, is commonplace.

Just keeping a log over a couple of weeks did this for me, and I'm not in any way a party animal. But a beer after work a couple of times a week, literally two pints, but then a glass of wine with dinner, the odd networking meeting, business dinner and a couple of pints at footie, before you knew it, IF you measure correctly, its 45 units, yes 45!!

So when someone, who I know drinks 3-4 pints of Stella a night, outside of football and any other social occasion, says they drink about 25 units a week I call b*llsh*t. That's 2.7 units x say 3 pints x 7 = 56.7units BEFORE The Amex beers, social events etc. Many of us are kidding ourselves.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
Jun 27, 2012
I'm not being critical, but what made you decide to stop drinking completely? I personally don't think drinking socially or on special occasions, as long as it's not to excess, is a bad thing at all.

I was asked by the GP to lay off alcohol and caffeine for a week or so back in the summer whilst he did some blood tests . As it turned out i was actually fine and given the all clear. By then i'd managed about a fortnight AF and got over that initial hump of killing off hard habits and some other crunch points (I went to the Albion, A Friday night, a night out in the pub) . Also i'm over 50, i'd got into a habit of drinking regularly and just felt like, if not now, then when... I think i was also prompted by various docs and articles where people say they'd given up for a year or forever.
See https://betterhumans.coach.me/what-happened-to-me-after-giving-up-booze-for-a-year-526e6236b2f2 or https://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/...alk-about-it-but-britain-still-doesnt-want-to
So i just carried on...and as of now don't feel like going back.

PS: of course for some , complete abstention seems to much and i absolutely respect that and age, health, ££, are all factors.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
I was asked by the GP to lay off alcohol and caffeine for a week or so back in the summer whilst he did some blood tests . As it turned out i was actually fine and given the all clear. By then i'd managed about a fortnight AF and got over that initial hump of killing off hard habits and some other crunch points (I went to the Albion, A Friday night, a night out in the pub) . Also i'm over 50, i'd got into a habit of drinking regularly and just felt like, if not now, then when... I think i was also prompted by various docs and articles where people say they'd given up for a year or forever.
See https://betterhumans.coach.me/what-happened-to-me-after-giving-up-booze-for-a-year-526e6236b2f2 or https://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/...alk-about-it-but-britain-still-doesnt-want-to
So i just carried on...and as of now don't feel like going back.

PS: of course for some , complete abstention seems to much and i absolutely respect that and age, health, ££, are all factors.

Fair play to you!

Jovis

Mar 30, 2012
Giving up for the rest of the month. Had no I intention of doing so, but having been a very mild gout sufferer (one or two episodes a year) I’ve had it twice since Boxing Day. Don’t know if booze is my trigger, but it can’t be helping.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset

I'd strongly recommend signing up to the alcohol experiment. You may or may not want to try going alcohol free for 30 days, but just reading the articles and watching the videos for a few minutes each day will be an eye opener.

Really gets to the bottom of the science and psychology of:

Does it really taste good?
Why aren't friends more supportive?
Does it make you happy?
The effects of alcohol on sleep
Alcohol and mental health
Why the term alcoholic is so revealing about society
How is it possible to be sociable without booze?
Is your drinking just a habit?
How does it whole society normalize alcohol abuse?
What actually is alcohol?

And a great deal more. If your going to drink, be an informed drinker would be my advice. That's what I suspect many people on this thread are doing. Most are probably not what society would call "people with a drink problem".

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Had a stressful weekend thanks to some mortgage woes. Really wanted a pint yesterday but resisted and feel better for it today.

I'm not sure if I'll continue this past January but it's certainly a change up for me.
[MENTION=35524]Knocky's Nose[/MENTION] - I'm also getting some weird sleeping habits developing. Despite getting to bed early enough (10pm or so) and waking up around 7.30am I feel utterly shattered for a good hour.

It could be the lack of daylight (why you feel shattered that is)

zefarelly

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
The dark grey days hardly help, it's hard enough to find a nice time to walk the dog! dry June would probably be easier in some respects. Maybe this of us who start again at the end of the month should do June too and see what we think?

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
The dark grey days hardly help, it's hard enough to find a nice time to walk the dog! dry June would probably be easier in some respects. Maybe this of us who start again at the end of the month should do June too and see what we think?

Sand Dune June? Playing on the 'dry' theme.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
I'd strongly recommend signing up to the alcohol experiment. You may or may not want to try going alcohol free for 30 days, but just reading the articles and watching the videos for a few minutes each day will be an eye opener.

Really gets to the bottom of the science and psychology of:

Does it really taste good?
Why aren't friends more supportive?
Does it make you happy?
The effects of alcohol on sleep
Alcohol and mental health
Why the term alcoholic is so revealing about society
How is it possible to be sociable without booze?
Is your drinking just a habit?
How does it whole society normalize alcohol abuse?
What actually is alcohol?

And a great deal more. If your going to drink, be an informed drinker would be my advice. That's what I suspect many people on this thread are doing. Most are probably not what society would call "people with a drink problem".

I have done so before (gone without Alcohol for a month) I just find I do indeed like the taste and enjoy a drink whilst socializing or on special occasions, as I say I just don't think there is compelling evidence that moderate drinking on occasion is any less healthy than abstaining completely, if evidence did come to light I may reconsider my position.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I have done so before (gone without Alcohol for a month) I just find I do indeed like the taste and enjoy a drink whilst socializing or on special occasions, as I say I just don't think there is compelling evidence that moderate drinking on occasion is any less healthy than abstaining completely, if evidence did come to light I may reconsider my position.

Like I said - try the experiment then. It will give you that evidence. I was skeptical, but the evidence (real, demonstrable facts) are compelling. Others I think would agree - it's an eye opener and it's not info coming from an organisation with an agenda.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here