NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Hop back on if you want to. But whatever you do please be kind to yourself. Falling off the wagon is not the end of the world.

Been doing that every night for the last 35 years, give or take.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
It's all gone quiet. How's everyone doing?

Day 10 for me. I'd have loved a glass of red last night after what was, by my standards, a long day. I didn't though, and this Friday evening is passing without any craving.

I'm sleeping like shit though - something I've found before when abstaining. Science knows nothing.

Weird things for me, too.... I'm now 'Day 11' and I've noted the following :

1) Head feels SO much clearer on the whole. Stupid little things which used to eat away at my thoughts and stress me now just get filed as 'unimportant : to be dealt with later' - or actually dealt with as I'm so much more productive.

2) 7pm - 7.30pm every night I have a huge (not sure what to call it, so here goes) 'wave of knackeredness' come over me. Honestly, I could just lay on the floor and go to sleep. It passes either by having a 10 minute power-nap, or powering through it (then I'm fine by about 9pm). Looked into the causes of this - and lo and behold... what did I do EVERY night when I got in from work at 7 - 7.30pm? Yep.. wine o'clock. Wallop. On it. Turns out my body was expecting alcohol, preparing for it, and not getting it.... This will pass as I get my body back in balance.

3) Sleeping badly, then waking up like I've been in a sarcophagus for 150 years and crawling out of bed like the first time a fish crawled from the sea onto dry land. Once I'm awake though, I feel quite chipper. The first 2-3 nights of AF I was wide awake until 2am-3am. Now I'm at Midnight-1am.

4) No real desire or cravings - just habit. Always used to call in at Tesco Express for tea, grab some wine or beers, then home. Now it's odd bypassing the fridges and racks of wine and going to the till - but wow.. my bills are a lot smaller! I've also noticed just what a massive section the alcohol section is in there!! Have a good look next time you're in one.

5) When I did this a few years ago I got thoroughly hacked off with Coke, Fanta, Lemonade, Dandelion & Burdock, Tizer, Pepsi Max and so on. Boring, Boring, Boring. Couldn't face soft fizzy drinks any more so fell off the wagon and back to lovely wine and beer. This time I'm into fresh fruit juices. A big glass of ice, then Orange Juice, then Cranberry - or Apple & Cranberry, or Mix 2 or 3 juices. Actually bloody lovely, and also full of vits! This sounds so feeble and evangelical to say, but tonight I actually got as much pleasure out of the first sip of Apple Juice with Cranberry than I did an ice cold glass of Chardonnay. That's really not me!

6) Friday has always been my 'It's the end of a hard week, fill your boots' day. Been on the road today, was driving home and started getting the old 'right... what's it gonna be tonight?' excited anticipation for a few seconds, then remembered. I'm going to miss that feeling, but I'll probably end up just replacing it with nice food instead.

That's about all I can think of for now. All I can reiterate is how bright I feel during the day. My mind is at least twice as sharp as it usually is, I'm not stressing about stupid stuff, and I look a bit 'brighter' in my complexion. I'll breeze this 30 day thing, then I'll decide where I want to go from there. With the 'Alcohol Experiment' you get a daily newsletter thing, plus 1-2 videos which I find really interesting and informative about the how's and why's of alcohol. Helps to understand what's happening, then you don't think you're the only silly bugger thinking this or that... The best thing is - it's all FREE !! No catches, no hard-sells, just free.

Well done to everyone who is sticking to being AF. To all those who have fallen off - just go back to Day 1 and try again. To all those who don't care, or don't want to stop - fair play, I've been like that for 20 years. I'd forgotten what a life without alcohol was like. It's actually very, very good - but I'm dreading my first 'Night Out' without drinking. That'll be strange....

Last edited:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
First drinking session today since the draw with Leicester on 24th November.

It's fair to say it'll certainly be a Wet January day for me today. Looking forward to it.

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Day 14 for me, no booze at all since 29 December when I had a few beers at the Everton game.

A combination of those plus my Christmas consumption of wine and red meat gave me my first ever attack of gout. Let me tell you it's an absolute f***er. Don't get gout. You'll hate it.

Two days (New Year's Eve and Day) completely off my feet in bed wincing when my right toe even came near a sheet. Non stop ibuprofen. Then a dodgy calf as I was recovering because I'd taken all my weight on my calf as I was climbing the stairs during recovery. Cherry juice did naff all.

All that as I'm supposed to be marathon training to do Brighton Marathon in April for REMF. I still am. The toe is fully recovered now and I'm about to go out for about seven or so miles this morning and will be back on the Sunday longer run tomorrow, But I nearly ruined my training for the sake of a couple of bottles of St Emillion Grand Cru and a surfeit of gammon.

I am feeling so much healthier today it is untrue. Unlike Bozza I am sleeping like a boss. I got a new running watch for Xmas that integrates to Garmin Connect on your phone via bluetooth and measures sleep, heartrate etc as well as runs. My sleep stats for last week, when I was away for work in a stressful set of meetings, were better than my stats for Boxing Day night when I was shitfaced.

I've been out once, for a curry with a colleague and customer last week while away. Had a J2O and called it a night after the meal. No big deal. It's January and we were very busy so they were taking it easy too, In fact, the only thing I've found odd is that I have a huge craving for sugar. I'm eating chocolates again. I barely touch sweets or deserts normally.

Have a blood test booked for the end of the month to confirm the diagnosis but my current plan is to not drink at all until after the marathon. I can't risk disrupting another two weeks training. Today I am going with a mate who is also doing Dry January and we're leaving a little bit later than normal. Planning a hot chocolate after in the WSL bar so I can still say hello to a few friends.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
I’m still going. Third year on the spin. Planning on keeping going until mid to late Feb.

In terms of reasons, last year I lost about half a stone in January through a combination of better diet, exercise and going alcohol free. This year diet is the biggest issue. I am CONSTANTLY hungry! Replacing all those calories I guess.

I normally feel much sharper and energised but I can’t say that’s hit yet.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
I’m still going, no booze or cigarettes since 2am on 1st January. Am finding it easier than I thought I would. No cravings at all. Feel much better in myself, more money left in the bank as well !

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
2 good tests for me in the last couple of days. On Thursday night I went on a date, she had 4 gin and tonics, I stuck to the soft drinks including a Heineken 0.0 which I thought was pretty good as the no alcohol beers go.

Last night, 11 of us went for a curry in Hove, apart from the designated driver everyone was on the beers. I had a bottle of nanny state (did not really like it) and then I was on the water.

Have to say that on both nights I did not really want to drink, I do need to think of some other options though as when people ask me what I want I am stuck for ideas, pints of water is is a little dull after a while. Fruit juices are often packed with sugar too. Any tips on nice, healthy soft drinks to have in pubs?

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
I always find January the perfect month to be a bit boring, less nights out, save money, improve fitness levels and when studying i’d always do an exam in Feb so dry jan fits nicely in.

Day 12 and only had one real obstacle in the pub but the pub had 7 non-alcoholic beers including a lovely IPA so had one of those and felt fine. I’ve spent next to nothing which is a great motivator and have nearly lost the small Christmas beer belly I had.

I’m keen not to ruin this in Feb so will aim to be more disciplined this year. Have 3 events marked in the diary and outside of these i’m going to try limit myself to one beer/wine on a Friday eve.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
2 good tests for me in the last couple of days. On Thursday night I went on a date, she had 4 gin and tonics, I stuck to the soft drinks including a Heineken 0.0 which I thought was pretty good as the no alcohol beers go.

Last night, 11 of us went for a curry in Hove, apart from the designated driver everyone was on the beers. I had a bottle of nanny state (did not really like it) and then I was on the water.

Have to say that on both nights I did not really want to drink, I do need to think of some other options though as when people ask me what I want I am stuck for ideas, pints of water is is a little dull after a while. Fruit juices are often packed with sugar too. Any tips on nice, healthy soft drinks to have in pubs?

Lime and soda is my go to.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Friday...............2 pints of Harveys for lunch, two pints of Bishops Finger with evening meal so it's going well here

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
I’m still going- the Alcohol Experiment emails and videos are helpful as is the book ‘This Naked Mind’ by the same person- may have to give that a second read.

Confident of keeping going through Jan and at the moment not sure I want to go back to drinking as things seem better on this side of the fence..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zefarelly

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I'm still going. . . Have tried loads of alcohol free beers, and a few ciders/wines. Some bad, some pretty good, infinite session is quite nice! Can't say I'm missing the too pissed bit after a bad day, or the groggy bit. . . Although I need something to drink of an evening, that's habitual I guess, although consumption of liquids has more than halved!

The real challenge will be when to re start and how to sensibly manage it . . . After 30 years a very regular habitual evening drinker. . . Am thinking beer only in the pub and wine at home only with dinner. . . I never used to drink at home, but then before children I used to go out whenever I was thirsty!

Dumseagull

Jun 13, 2012
Lancing
I’m still hanging in there! Was really tempted today but resisted! [emoji56] good to know other people on here are with me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
Day 5 of a diet which allows me two to three drinks a day, wee ones. Saturday evening TV really is sh!t isn't it? No amount of alcohol , apart from a total coma inducing volume, would make me think Michael McIntyre was remotely funny...he is certainly up there with Alexandr Armstrong as BFOT! That's Biggest Fud On Television.....
Just got to sit and look at Tipping Point..the book by Malcolm Caldwell and not the TV show which I find OK.

Ho hum....and we lost to the Hubcapstealers Collective.........

pour me a whiskey Fred......

TNBA

TTF

FloatLeft

Jun 12, 2012
Today was a Dry January revelation...

I didn’t have to leave my seat at 40 mins to get a beer in quick.

I saved around £18 in beers.

And as my attitude towards my weight hadn’t been relaxed by said beer consumption I didn’t buy a burger and pie.

So Dry January saved me around £25 and 2000 calories.

I spent £1.80 on a Bovril.

Winning!

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patreon
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I'm still going. . . Have tried loads of alcohol free beers, and a few ciders/wines. Some bad, some pretty good, infinite session is quite nice! Can't say I'm missing the too pissed bit after a bad day, or the groggy bit. . . Although I need something to drink of an evening, that's habitual I guess, although consumption of liquids has more than halved!

The real challenge will be when to re start and how to sensibly manage it . . . After 30 years a very regular habitual evening drinker. . . Am thinking beer only in the pub and wine at home only with dinner. . . I never used to drink at home, but then before children I used to go out whenever I was thirsty!

I think a lot of us are with you on the restarting date. I'm not sure I want to restart - but also unsure about announcing that "I'll never drink again". Maybe I just won't drink and that's just what it is until it isn't?

I'm also unsure about alcohol free booze. It seems too close to home in some way. A gateway back to real beer perhaps? So far, I've avoided that. Another thing to reflect on I suppose.

I do appreciate you folks sharing your experiences though - it helps.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
I'm also unsure about alcohol free booze. It seems too close to home in some way. A gateway back to real beer perhaps?

Strange you should say that - as that's what Mrs Nose said when I rocked up with a six pack of 'Heineken 0,0' the other day (which, hilariously says on the bottom of the packaging 'enjoy Heineken 0,0 responsibly' :facepalm:)

Anyway... I actually really liked the taste of different (alcohol filled) beers, wines and spirits. Such variety! I like lager, so I'm happy enough drinking the Alcohol Free stuff alongside my fruit juices and coffee. It doesn't taste too bad once you get used to it, and the Heineken stuff is palatable enough. I bought some of the Budweiser alcohol free stuff on the way home from the game and it's okay. Not great, just okay.

The thing with this AF month (or more) is the fact I'm bringing in a variety of substitutes for alcoholic drinks (and versions of) which keeps it interesting. I do not miss the groggy, foggy morning head - and feeling detached during the day. A few hours of feeling a bit pleasantly spaced in the evening isn't a fair swap for a full day of feeling like my brain is floating in a jar of used engine oil....

Day 12 now, and I'm starting to enjoy it. I used to hate people typing crap like this when I was drinking - but only because I wished I had the nuts to walk a mile in their shoes and do it. If you're on the fence, just try this for shits and giggles. You can go back to drinking after 30 days if you want - but at least you'll be able to say with some authority "I know what it's like, and I know how it feels to not drink".

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here