Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] I'll have whatever Stephens and Propper are having

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
Anyway, on the bright side, the Albion just won a key PL match with a quality performance.

Yep. Well happy. Especially seeing as my boss is a Toffees fan. :thumbsup:

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Stephens played well in parts but also made several Howlers..Passed to opposition more than a few times and as for the back pass for a corner !!!

However four points from the last two games...only the most optimistic would have us down for four against Everton and Arsenal !!

SeagullDubai

May 13, 2016
Prefer Bissouma to Stephens. He wasn't great today. You have Stephens tinted glasses because you've copped some stick for defending him on here recently. Weakest link IMO.
Fully agree. When Burnley go down to the championship they very still need him. Get rid.

Sent from my MI 6 using Tapatalk

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
The formation change has been vital. When we played 4-4-1-1 Stephens and Propper's main job was destructive/protective. Now we're playing with three in the centre they all have the opportunity to get forward knowing that they have cover. Propper in particular is really showing what he can do now he's been let off the leash.

Dale still has that role to a degree, but yes, get your point. Maybe its the pace of Locadia and March playing more centrally, and (today) Andone that has encouraged DS to start playing so many balls over the top to them. And they've been very good balls

maglers

Apr 26, 2011
Could be that they are very good footballers who are at the top of their game? Tony Grealish used to get the same sort of stick back in the day. It’s usually from people who don’t know what makes a good football team. And would fill it with Ronaldos and Messis if it was up to them. You need players like Stephens and Pröpper to do the hard yards.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
I find your posts on the subject overly declarative. I think you will find he will have lower player ratings from the NSC faithful when compared to the rest of the team.

Over-declarative... I like that phrase. probably spot on. I just loved his performance in the opening half an hour, yes, a few mistakes second half but he was under a lot of pressure by their gazillion attacking players they threw on second half, and he held up very well. of course the NSC faithful will give Propper 9's because a couple of pieces of sublime skill, but won't give anything like that to DS because they don't appreciate the destructive side of the game as much, but will remember a couple of errors, but we've all come to expect that from the NSC masses.

They were both great and won that midfield battle so early that Everton struggled and eventually tore their formation to pieces. That was the game winner there.

Along with England International Lewis Dunk, the harrying of Andone, the wonderful play in both halves of the pitch by Montoya and Bernardo, the simple strength and elegance of Locadia, yeah I enjoyed that today.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Prefer Bissouma to Stephens. He wasn't great today. You have Stephens tinted glasses because you've copped some stick for defending him on here recently. Weakest link IMO.

Fishing? Almost entirely the opposite mate, ball watchers lining up to have a go who literally have no concept of the other side of the game.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The formation change has been vital. When we played 4-4-1-1 Stephens and Propper's main job was destructive/protective. Now we're playing with three in the centre they all have the opportunity to get forward knowing that they have cover. Propper in particular is really showing what he can do now he's been let off the leash.

Pretty much this to my unqualified eye. The 433 set up with Solly and Jurgs narrower at times than our traditional setup, is perhaps partly due to having Montoya and particularly Bernardo operating more forward when they can. I think it’s possible that Gross isn’t appearing to have quite the same influence now too because he’s more in the midfield three than the no 10 role (allowing Propper and Stephens to move higher up the pitch, with more in front of them to aim at)

March,Locadia and Andone were all brilliant defensively when needed today too.

Looks like Hughton and team are getting it right again. Who knew eh ?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Fishing? Almost entirely the opposite mate, ball watchers lining up to have a go who literally have no concept of the other side of the game.

As opposed to metaphorically?

“you numpty” :smile:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Pretty much this to my unqualified eye. The 433 set up with Solly and Jurgs narrower at times than our traditional setup, is perhaps partly due to having Montoya and particularly Barnardo operating more forward when they can. I think it’s possible that Gross isn’t appearing to have quite the same influence now too because he’s more in the midfield three than the no 10 role (allowing Propper and Stephens to move higher up the pitch, with more in front of them to aim at)

I’d agree with this observation on Gross. As a number 10 he was out on his own a lot more; he’s now part of a cohesive midfield engine.

Trelford Mills Guide Dog

Jun 14, 2008
Both played well today.
Pröpper was excellent and a real challenger for MoM.
I agree with the OP that Stephens played some great forward passes, and released the ball a lot more quickly today ... more of this please ! (but, he still gives too many silly free-kicks away in dangerous positions - NB:- Not talking about the necessary / ‘take-one for the team’ fouls).

bhaseeer

Aug 29, 2017
Great performances. Stephens always seems to give away free kicks on the edge of the area for being late.....when there is no real danger.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Can someone talk.me through Propper's second half pass on the edge of their box.
I saw it.
I was perfectly positioned to see it.

I just don't know what I saw. :lol:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Over-declarative... I like that phrase. probably spot on. I just loved his performance in the opening half an hour, yes, a few mistakes second half but he was under a lot of pressure by their gazillion attacking players they threw on second half, and he held up very well. of course the NSC faithful will give Propper 9's because a couple of pieces of sublime skill, but won't give anything like that to DS because they don't appreciate the destructive side of the game as much, but will remember a couple of errors, but we've all come to expect that from the NSC masses.

They were both great and won that midfield battle so early that Everton struggled and eventually tore their formation to pieces. That was the game winner there.

Along with England International Lewis Dunk, the harrying of Andone, the wonderful play in both halves of the pitch by Montoya and Bernardo, the simple strength and elegance of Locadia, yeah I enjoyed that today.

You've let yourself down there. You've made a number of salient points on this thread, but why because Stephens does/did something well does it follow that Propper isn't good at that particular skill? Yes, I do appreciate the destructive/protective side that Stephens brings, but the number of interceptions and tackles that Propper achieved today didn't warrant that.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
You've let yourself down there. You've made a number of salient points on this thread, but why because Stephens does/did something well does it follow that Propper isn't good at that particular skill? Yes, I do appreciate the destructive/protective side that Stephens brings, but the number of interceptions and tackles that Propper achieved today didn't warrant that.

Oh no, I thought Propper was great today, and if you look back at my opening post it was inspired by Propper getting stuck in today and boxing day, something that he hasn't done all season but was absolutely spot on today.

So yes, maybe it wasn't the best comparison today, but my point really is that someone watching the ball will remember 2 or 3 of Propper's skills and 2 or 3 of Stephen's errors, and mark accordingly, when there was so much more going on over the 90 minutes.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Oh no, I thought Propper was great today, and if you look back at my opening post it was inspired by Propper getting stuck in today and boxing day, something that he hasn't done all season but was absolutely spot on today.

So yes, maybe it wasn't the best comparison today, but my point really is that someone watching the ball will remember 2 or 3 of Propper's skills and 2 or 3 of Stephen's errors, and mark accordingly, when there was so much more going on over the 90 minutes.

Fair play. I gave Stephens an 8 and Propper a 9 (as with Bernardo and Dunk).

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Pretty much this to my unqualified eye. The 433 set up with Solly and Jurgs narrower at times than our traditional setup, is perhaps partly due to having Montoya and particularly Bernardo operating more forward when they can. I think it’s possible that Gross isn’t appearing to have quite the same influence now too because he’s more in the midfield three than the no 10 role (allowing Propper and Stephens to move higher up the pitch, with more in front of them to aim at)

Think you two have it spot on. Stephens' job is slightly different, though he's still the furthest back of the three, but there is a real licence for Propper to push in to space. It's taken the leash off the midfield. However, with our work rate, we drop in to a 4-5-1 without the ball. Looks good to me. Not sure how this will work when Izquierdo and Ali J are fit and Knocky sorts himself out but, luckily, that's not my problem.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here