Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Button..............well what do you think?

• Thread starter Deleted member 2719
  • Start date

D

Deleted member 2719

Wouldn’t say that.......just that I can’t see Maty not having the shirt when he returns given he’s barely made a mistake in 1.5 seasons.

Ok, I get that and as much as I like Maty as a keeper, I really think Chris needs to give Button some chance of snatching his shirt.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It would seem silly to play Steele in the cup, Button needs as much game time as possible

Sorry, but why should Steele not have a chance in the cup? Doesn't he deserve game time too?
What happens if Ryan or Button get an injury & he needs to play with no experience?

bhafcjack

Nov 3, 2018
Brighton
Sorry, but why should Steele not have a chance in the cup? Doesn't he deserve game time too?
What happens if Ryan or Button get an injury & he needs to play with no experience?

This, Button was great today but it is only fair to give Steele a chance. Plenty of other chances for both of them to play but it just depends on how they’re doing in training and what CH thinks.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard

The same thing that would have happened if Ryan had to go off to the Asian cup and Button needed to play with no experience.....

I'd rather take a chance on Button not getting injured and give him more time with the first team defenders in a match situation

People are saying how well he played today but he only had a fraction of the work that Matty had to do against Arsenal, for example. The spillage was telling though, and I feel the crucial low save he made that went for a corner would probably have been held by Matty. I think it was too dangerous when he came out of his penalty area late on, and I'm pretty sure that Matty wouldn't have risked it.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

Agreed.

In addition to that, it’s Steele’s actual job to put pressure on Button and try and take his place. That is what is happening across the squad, why should the goal keeping position be different?

Steele simply must be given the chance in a cup game to keep Button honest.

And what’s more; Ryan must come back to us knowing that only his current top form is good enough for him to keep his place.

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
Unless Button pulls out multiple saves that he has no right saving, like Maty Ryan has done for well over a year now, then I would say it would be more unfair on Ryan not taking his position back when he returns.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The same thing that would have happened if Ryan had to go off to the Asian cup and Button needed to play with no experience.....

I'd rather take a chance on Button not getting injured and give him more time with the first team defenders in a match situation

Chris Hughton has always played the reserve keeper in cups, so it's a moot point.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
There's no arguing with a clean sheet. Apart from one spill in the first half looked a fairly safe pair of hands. Will be happier when Ryan's back though.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Not spectacular, but didn't need to be. I think the spill is something that happens occasionally with all keepers and he would have pounced on it and collected it safely had Duffy (?) not tried to clear it. I think that was down to unfamiliarity, and safety first attitude from Duffy (?). Very early when we were playing it around in our half I wanted them to play it to Button to give him a touch without pressure, then when it was eventually played to him it was an awkward ball to deal with and all he could do is boot it up field, which he did.

He got nice distance on his kicks, which could open up some tricky goalkicks if we want to go that way.

Really good save at 1-0 pushing the shot on the post, but also thankful for the woodwork on a couple of occasions. Seemed a bit hesitant to come for crosses, but I think that might be a tactic of ours, since we have Duffy and Dunk to handle crosses.

I'd like to think he will improve as he gets used to playing, and our defence get used to playing in front of him. On today's performance, Ryan is straight back in. But there are a few games to go and that could change (I don't like the idea of Ryan losing his place because he has been playing well enough to qualify for Europe, but I do like the idea of giving him a chance to recover from travelling around the world before getting back into the team).

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
When we signed him, Fulham fans mostly reckoned that he's a very good keeper but always has one calamitous error per game. Got away with one today and was solid the rest of the time. Bigger than Ryan, not as agile as Maty and probably endowed with more of a a howitzer right foot but nowhere near as two-footed as Ryan.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here