Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dominic Solanke

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
Think we will be seeing a lot of English players coming into the club once Ashworth gets fully involved. Especially those in the youth set ups not getting adequate chances at the top 6. Would be a clever system

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I don't understand those that aren't exited by this. He's a 6'2, quick, young English striker that has scored goals across all the England age groups, and Southgate thought highly enough of him to give him a full cap a while back. He also has been thought well enough of to be retained by Liverpool up until now.
Yep, would welcome him here with open arms. I think we may be slowly working our way to more like a 4-3-3 set-up anyway. Our wingers, although good defensively, haven't often put in match-winning performances, and our midfield has sometimes got over-run - so in a way it must make sense to play Stephens, Propper and Bissouma in midfield, with the width coming from the likes of Locadia, March, Knocky, Andone in a front three - and Solanke would certainly fit the bill in that set-up.

Our youngsters... Connolly has great promise but doesn't have 50 senior appearances behind him like Solanke and is not a longer term Murray replacement. Gyokeres, unsure if he is a left winger or striker? Plus he isn't home grown.
By the time he has to be named in the 25 man squad, won't Gyokeres have qualified as an HGP anyway?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I don't understand those that aren't exited by this. He's a 6'2, quick, young English striker that has scored goals across all the England age groups, and Southgate thought highly enough of him to give him a full cap a while back. He also has been thought well enough of to be retained by Liverpool up until now. Brighton and other smaller Prem teams only get the chance to sign players like this before they show their full promise.

Our current options are.... Murray, he's incredible but how much longer he will keep going at his level? Locadia, is he a winger, is he a striker? He certainly isn't the quick target man and long term replacement for Murray we were expecting. Leaving us with Andone who has made a great start.

Our youngsters... Connolly has great promise but doesn't have 50 senior appearances behind him like Solanke and is not a longer term Murray replacement. Gyokeres, unsure if he is a left winger or striker? Plus he isn't home grown.

Due to our current options it wouldn't make sense to bring Solanke in on a 6 month loan. But, a loan with a view to a permanent or permanent in January would be a big statement and very exciting. He could well have already been a target before Ashworth was due to come in, but if we stay up this year it could well be a long term (Ashworth) plan to target home grown players that haven't quite broken through at bigger clubs.

Every word of THIS.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I don't understand those that aren't exited by this. He's a 6'2, quick, young English striker that has scored goals across all the England age groups, and Southgate thought highly enough of him to give him a full cap a while back. He also has been thought well enough of to be retained by Liverpool up until now. Brighton and other smaller Prem teams only get the chance to sign players like this before they show their full promise.

Our current options are.... Murray, he's incredible but how much longer he will keep going at his level? Locadia, is he a winger, is he a striker? He certainly isn't the quick target man and long term replacement for Murray we were expecting. Leaving us with Andone who has made a great start.

Due to our current options it wouldn't make sense to bring Solanke in on a 6 month loan. But, a loan with a view to a permanent or permanent in January would be a big statement and very exciting. He could well have already been a target before Ashworth was due to come in, but if we stay up this year it could well be a long term (Ashworth) plan to target home grown players that haven't quite broken through at bigger clubs.
Sense at last. This is the only post everyone needs to read

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
The article’s headline introduces a narrative of ‘Palace beats Brighton’.

Palace are desperate for a striker where as Solanke would do well to oust Connolly or Gyökeres in our U23s.

CH has pretty much ruled out any incomings yesterday so we clearly don’t need or want him on loan. We are not being beaten by Palace on anything this season! The ‘permanent deal’ aspect of the story has been inserted by the author to create the headline he needs and desires.

On what basis do you rate Connolly and Gyokeres so highly?
Note that despite what some on here think, CH has blooded young strikers -- Andy Carroll and Nathan Redmond -- and the fact that our two u23 players haven't really featured in the first team squad ought to say something. I rate Connolly above Gyokeres, and he's much younger, but what he needs is some time playing towards the top of L1 (Luton?) or in the Championship (if the loaning club could guarantee playing time). Solanke has done a lot more in his career than either of our two and is clearly the better player currently, although (possibly with Connolly, unlikely with Gyokeres) this might change in the longer term.

Shins

Aug 13, 2015
By the time he has to be named in the 25 man squad, won't Gyokeres have qualified as an HGP anyway?

I don't think so, pretty sure its 3 years at a club before their 21st birthday. He joined 1st Jan 2018 and he turns 21 in June meaning he's only have been here 18 months. Happy to be corrected on this if someone has looked into it?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I don't think so, pretty sure its 3 years at a club before their 21st birthday. He joined 1st Jan 2018 and he turns 21 in June meaning he's only have been here 18 months. Happy to be corrected on this if someone has looked into it?

He certainly joined us before Jan 18, but note we loaned him back to the club that we bought him from before he actually started playing for us (which may well have been Jan 18).

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Fair enough, you may well be right. I'm certainly no expert on the rules! I'm sure one of the more kowledgable on here can clear it up.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
The article’s headline introduces a narrative of ‘Palace beats Brighton’.

Palace are desperate for a striker where as Solanke would do well to oust Connolly or Gyökeres in our U23s.

CH has pretty much ruled out any incomings yesterday so we clearly don’t need or want him on loan. We are not being beaten by Palace on anything this season! The ‘permanent deal’ aspect of the story has been inserted by the author to create the headline he needs and desires.

That doesn’t make any sense.

CH clearly hasn’t ruled out incoming permanent transfers otherwise we wouldn’t be being linked with him. And the story was also in the Times so it wasn’t just fabricated by a Palace fan as you are suggesting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Shins

Aug 13, 2015
He certainly joined us before Jan 18, but note we loaned him back to the club that we bought him from before he actually started playing for us (which may well have been Jan 18).

I thought we had just agreed a future transfer rather than signed and loaned back. Even if he joined officially in the summer of 2017 he'll still be short of the 3 years at a club before his 21st birthday to qualify as home grown. Again, that's only how I understand it.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
I know he is young but I don't think he has what it takes to be a top striker. Can see him in League One in a few years time.

If this is being bounced in four years time when he has just won us the World Cup and scored 40 PL goals in the last season, I admit I was wrong.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
A very odd and confused report.

We want him permanently but Palace is the best loan option?.

I presume he wants to put himself in the shop window for 5 months and gain wider options in the summer?

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
I know he is young but I don't think he has what it takes to be a top striker. Can see him in League One in a few years time.

If this is being bounced in four years time when he has just won us the World Cup and scored 40 PL goals in the last season, I admit I was wrong.

His youth record is impressive though

Top scorer at the 2014 UEFA European Under-17 Championship (Which England also won)
Golden Ball Award for the most promising player at the 2017 FIFA U-20 World Cup (Past winners include Paul Pogba, Sergio Aguero and Lionel Messi)

Plus he can play either as a winger or an attacking midfielder, so could act as back up to Gross in the position behind the main striker, and has a high workrate.

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
Solanke is a really decent forward, not sure if he fits in with the Reds pacy forward line and not really that top, top plan B up front.
However, would have been a really great option for us.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
He is probably already earning more than the likes of Murray & Locadia having started with Chelsea.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patreon
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Woy said there “is some truth in it” so assume he will be going to Palace who we know will not have a problem with his wages.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here