Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

new government on English Channel migrants !!!

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I gave gave an example of Syrian refugees in a previous post, who crossed from Turkey to Greece. Their ultimate goal was Canada, but they wanted to get there via the UK, because of our link with them.
If you have young children why would you want to hang around in camps for months waiting for clearance when there is another route.
The twist the press use a lot, is they all want to come to the UK. Well, they don't. The U.K. has taken in fewer refugees than most of Europe.

There is no preferential route to refugee status in Canada that exists by simply being in the UK. To go to Canada as a refugee from outside it you must be referred by a designated referral organisation like UNHCR or a private sponsorship group, your best bet if you have young children is indeed hanging around for months at a UN refugee camp and doing the application from there, not dragging them all over Europe and going via death trap boats from Turkey to Greece. Decisions like that ultimately can end in disaster as seen in this case as that decision killed their child.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
There is no preferential route to refugee status in Canada that exists by simply being in the UK. To go to Canada as a refugee from outside it you must be referred by a designated referral organisation like UNHCR or a private sponsorship group, your best bet if you have young children is indeed hanging around for months at a UN refugee camp and doing the application from there, not dragging them all over Europe and going via death trap boats from Turkey to Greece. Decisions like that ultimately can end in disaster as seen in this case as that decision killed their child.

Their daughter was already in Canada, so they applied to the Canadian Embassy in the UK. Canada and the UK are in the Commonwealth which makes it easier.
Trying not to be too brutal, but staying in Syria could have killed them all.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Are ITV not reporting this story? Sounds like you have an issue with the BBC just reporting the news.

It's 219 people that have been caught/ rescued since November 3rd BTW

Think you need to add another 200 or so to your 12 since November.

221 migrants have tried to get to the UK by boat since Nov 1st.

That's 221 divided by 58 days = 3.8.

On average, 3.8 people try to get to the UK each day.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I do have a big problem with the way the BBC reports news and their half truths, and paid 'invited' guests.

Quite.

One example of their strange policy of allowing people to spout off utter bollocks unchallenged was a longish interview yesterday morning with someone who blamed the armada of dinghes on the 'fact' that 'many of these people are legally entitled to be here'. Apart from the fact that if they have a legal entitlement they wouldn't be paying smugglers to get them here, there is actually nothing one can say to that other than 'why are you talking utter bollocks?'. Yet this absurdity went unchallenged.

Also, something else that went unchallenged was a comment from a government spokesman who declared that the brilliant new plan was to introduce patrolling at night time. The reason given for this was that there was a suspicion that most of this smuggling was going on at night. WTAF?

This all seems to resonate with comments posted on here in the past that May does not and never did care about immigration, legal or otherwise, because she thinks our economy would collapse without it.

I posted on here a few weeks ago about the literally hundreds of ....Albanians? Khazaks? Who knows?.....on Westminster Bridge in 15 odd teams fleecing tourists with the 'which cup is the ball under' scam in broad daylight. On separate days.

More than 15 years ago I stayed up in Tottenham and there were gangs of Eastern Europeans from outside the EU (this is before the influx of the new nations) hanging around on the street and being picked up by vans taking them off to do casual illegal work. Nobody, let alone the old bill, batted an eyelid. But I saw it, clear enough.

Whatever you feel about immigration and asylum, one thing is certain. We have had the means to deal with folk from outside the EU (where the MAJORITY come from) since forever, and yet we don't. No explanation is given. There has been no crackdown whatsoever under Cameron and May.

So, is all this, from police nowhere to be seen while flim flam merchants have a field day through to illegal migrant boat patrolls clocking off at nightfall grotesque incompetance or part of a tory plot to swamp the country with cheap labour (and to hell with its legality)?

I think we should be told. But if you are hoping the BBC might do so, don't hold your breath. I find this......odd.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Are ITV not reporting this story? Sounds like you have an issue with the BBC just reporting the news.

It's 219 people that have been caught/ rescued since November 3rd BTW

Quite.

One example of their strange policy of allowing people to spout off utter bollocks unchallenged was a longish interview yesterday morning with someone who blamed the armada of dinghes on the 'fact' that 'many of these people are legally entitled to be here'. Apart from the fact that if they have a legal entitlement they wouldn't be paying smugglers to get them here, there is actually nothing one can say to that other than 'why are you talking utter bollocks?'. Yet this absurdity went unchallenged.

Also, something else that went unchallenged was a comment from a government spokesman who declared that the brilliant new plan was to introduce patrolling at night time. The reason given for this was that there was a suspicion that most of this smuggling was going on at night. WTAF?

This all seems to resonate with comments posted on here in the past that May does not and never did care about immigration, legal or otherwise, because she thinks our economy would collapse without it.

I posted on here a few weeks ago about the literally hundreds of ....Albanians? Khazaks? Who knows?.....on Westminster Bridge in 15 odd teams fleecing tourists with the 'which cup is the ball under' scam in broad daylight. On separate days.

More than 15 years ago I stayed up in Tottenham and there were gangs of Eastern Europeans from outside the EU (this is before the influx of the new nations) hanging around on the street and being picked up by vans taking them off to do casual illegal work. Nobody, let alone the old bill, batted an eyelid. But I saw it, clear enough.

Whatever you feel about immigration and asylum, one thing is certain. We have had the means to deal with folk from outside the EU (where the MAJORITY come from) since forever, and yet we don't. No explanation is given. There has been no crackdown whatsoever under Cameron and May.

So, is all this, from police nowhere to be seen while flim flam merchants have a field day through to illegal migrant boat patrolls clocking off at nightfall grotesque incompetance or part of a tory plot to swamp the country with cheap labour (and to hell with its legality)?

I think we should be told. But if you are hoping the BBC might do so, don't hold your breath. I find this......odd.

I agree, but when the BBC reports on Brits abroad, they're called expats. This is what I have been talking about in their choice of language.

I always believed the BBC was unbiased in their news reports until I was in Calais in 2015. Three hours later I was at home watching the news, and just not believing how it was broadcast. I emailed to complain but was just ignored apart from the statutory acknowledgement.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Their daughter was already in Canada, so they applied to the Canadian Embassy in the UK. Canada and the UK are in the Commonwealth which makes it easier.

It was an Aunt in Canada who referred their application for refugee status as a designated sponsor to the Canadien authorities in Canada(not UK) whilst the asylum seekers were still in Turkey. The asylum seekers cannot apply directly to the Canadian authorities for a refugee status,they must have a private sponsor do it or the UNHCR refers them . It makes not an ounce of difference that Canada is in the commonwealth..
Staying in a refugee camp with all the charities and medical groups assisting is a far better option if you are awaiting a decision on refugee status than getting in a death trap boast, as can be seen by the dreadful decision they made which killed their own child

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex

says a lot about you that you worked out the daily figure
thats 221 too many.
Its only a matter of time before one sinks and dozens of bodies will be washing up on kent beaches. It needs to be quashed not supported.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I gave gave an example of Syrian refugees in a previous post, who crossed from Turkey to Greece. Their ultimate goal was Canada, but they wanted to get there via the UK, because of our link with them.
If you have young children why would you want to hang around in camps for months waiting for clearance when there is another route.
The twist the press use a lot, is they all want to come to the UK. Well, they don't. The U.K. has taken in fewer refugees than most of Europe.

Genuine refugees would be grateful just to get out of the hell hole that they have come from, to then start choosing which country they wish to relocate to and via which route seems a bit like having your cake and eating it.

D

Deleted member 22389

Genuine refugees would be grateful just to get out of the hell hole that they have come from, to then start choosing which country they wish to relocate to and via which route seems a bit like having your cake and eating it.

:thumbsup:

D

Deleted member 22389

Exactly, they are paying up to £12k for the inflatable boat travel from France. They are being completely scammed by these unscrupulous smuggling gangs. We need to target the gangs and ensure they are stopped.

Definitely. Ridiculous this is even happening off the coast of France now.

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London

But they didn't have to stay in Syria and could have moved to a neighbouring safe country and then applied to go to Canada by making an application at a Canadian Embassy there. Probably thought they had more of a chance of being accepted in Canada if travelling from the UK, which is a false hope.

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London

Think you may have missed all the other UK ports, and means, of entry. The figures you quote are a tiny percentage of the real situation.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Officials on both sides of the Channel have warned of the dangers of crossing what is the world's busiest shipping lane in a small boat. Police have likened the journey to trying to "cross the M25 at rush-hour on foot".

Pfffffft.
No one bloody moves in M25 rush hour, no comparison!!

Having sailed from Dover on numerous occasions it really isn't anything like the M25. Yes, plenty of shipping but they really aren't that bunched up and moving that fast, if it was genuinely that bad the ships laid up at anchor wouldn't anchor in the channel as they do. A pal has a SIB not dissimilar to the ones being used by the migrants and they are reasonably ok at sea unless you run it in to swells at speed.
If it was a good forecast I would say its a pretty easy trip if a, you don't overload the boat, b, your outboard is no bigger than 5 horse and you have enough fuel.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Having sailed from Dover on numerous occasions it really isn't anything like the M25. Yes, plenty of shipping but they really aren't that bunched up and moving that fast, if it was genuinely that bad the ships laid up at anchor wouldn't anchor in the channel as they do. A pal has a SIB not dissimilar to the ones being used by the migrants and they are reasonably ok at sea unless you run it in to swells at speed.
If it was a good forecast I would say its a pretty easy trip if a, you don't overload the boat, b, your outboard is no bigger than 5 horse and you have enough fuel.

Perhaps they could make more use of the speed cameras at sea, or even those ridiculous speed signs.
Yeh that'll confuse the illegal entrants:)

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
That's the total for the UK.

Nope the 221 figure only refers to attempted channel crossings...

It comes after at least 221 migrants have attempted to cross the Channel to England since the start of November.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-46705128

The UK Government estimate 1,832 clandestine entrants from South coast ports in 2017-18

https://assets.publishing.service.g.../ICIBI_An_inspection_of_South_Coast_Ports.pdf

As you may know, there are numerous other ports around our coastline.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Nope the 221 figure only refers to attempted channel crossings...

It comes after at least 221 migrants have attempted to cross the Channel to England since the start of November.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-46705128

The UK Government estimate 1,832 clandestine entrants from South coast ports in 2017-18

https://assets.publishing.service.g.../ICIBI_An_inspection_of_South_Coast_Ports.pdf

As you may know, there are numerous other ports around our coastline.

Indeed, so find the figures for all the other ports. You can list them alphabetically if you like.

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
That's the total for the UK.

Oh no it's not. You need to look at the asylum stats on .gov.uk - extract for year ending March 2018:

"Of the 14,166 people granted asylum, protection and resettlement, 5,953 (42%) were children (under 18 years old).

Additionally, 5,874 Family reunion visas were issued to partners and children of those granted asylum or humanitarian protection in the UK"

Of those who claim asylum here only around 50% are granted so the number of applicants for asylum is therefore around 28,332 or more annually. The latest influx in migrants crossing the channel in small boats is new and has gone from a few to hundreds.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here