Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] 4-1-4-1

wealdgull

NSC Patron
Dec 7, 2017
The Arsenal game seemed to me to show us a different central midfield to the one we are used to. Previously we've tended to keep two midfielders defensive (commonly Stephens and Pröpper) with one more attacking (Groß/Bissouma) in a 4-4-1-1 formation but against Arsenal it looked to me like we played a single defensive midfielder in Stephens with Pröpper attacking left and Groß attacking right and so 4-1-4-1.

This gave us more options in and around the box, most notably Pröpper found a lot more chances than he had in the past. It also allowed our wings far more space which opened up our cross-field passes as there were more forward players for Arsenal to mark. The only negative from this was that Groß looked a little lost compared to when he sits directly behind the front man.

Overall I thought that it was a positive formation but one that kept our defensive strengths, especially with the wings doing good work tracking back. If Hughton sticks with this style we could be in for an exciting second half of the season.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
I was also excited by this prospect, particularly if we have Propper and Bissouma in front of Stephens.

That would mean dropping Gross though and I'm sure quite a few people would have something to say about that.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The Arsenal game seemed to me to show us a different central midfield to the one we are used to. Previously we've tended to keep two midfielders defensive (commonly Stephens and Pröpper) with one more attacking (Groß/Bissouma) in a 4-4-1-1 formation but against Arsenal it looked to me like we played a single defensive midfielder in Stephens with Pröpper attacking left and Groß attacking right

No 'seemed to' about it. Was definitely the set up, by design. Pröpper said as much in his post-match interview.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I noticed that too, and we also saw it for the Bournemouth game (although the personnel was different, with Propper sitting deep). The advantage of this formation is that we have three strong contenders for the more advanced CM roles (Propper, Gross and Bissouma), while Stephens has the most apt skill set for the DCM role. Kayal could arguably play either role, and is good to have in reserve. This does mean that although both Kayal and Propper could fill in in the DCM role, our squad is one light in that position. It'll be interesting to see what style of CM our next signing is, as this may have some bearing on whether CH/the club are keen to persevere with the 4-1-4-1 rather than the 4-4-1-1 formation for the majority of games. If we go for the former, Thomas Delaney would be an excellent current candidate to push Stephens' position, but we could also look at someone younger with potential to ease into that position.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
I noticed that too, and we also saw it for the Bournemouth game (although the personnel was different, with Propper sitting deep). The advantage of this formation is that we have three strong contenders for the more advanced CM roles (Propper, Gross and Bissouma), while Stephens has the most apt skill set for the DCM role. Kayal could arguably play either role, and is good to have in reserve. This does mean that although both Kayal and Propper could fill in in the DCM role, our squad is one light in that position. It'll be interesting to see what style of CM our next signing is, as this may have some bearing on whether CH/the club are keen to persevere with the 4-1-4-1 rather than the 4-4-1-1 formation for the majority of games. If we go for the former, Thomas Delaney would be an excellent current candidate to push Stephens' position, but we could also look at someone younger with potential to ease into that position.

He'd already be our player if Dortmund hadn't come calling, which is where he now plays.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
The first half it was noticeable that Gross was sitting deepest and Propper was pushing further forward than ever before.
After 25 minutes this seemed to work superbly and in the second half Stephens produced his best performance of the season, getting forward more also
and spraying passes around.
No coincidence that Dale and Davy had their best games to date IMHO
Its a big yes from me.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
We've played it a few times recently, I think. At least in parts of games.

I'm a fan of it. It gives us a much needed boost in central midfield and frees up the two central midfielders(as opposed to the defensive midfielder) to be more attacking. It's also corresponded with us playing some of our better football so far this season.

Langley

Mar 10, 2008
Waltham Chase, Hants

I would go for Pritchard at Huddersfield, I know, I know, but he can be forgiven. Remember Caldy virtually signed for Saints, and look how he turned out for us.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I would go for Pritchard at Huddersfield, I know, I know, but he can be forgiven. Remember Caldy virtually signed for Saints, and look how he turned out for us.
Unless I remember incorrectly, wasn't he already a Brighton favorite and decided to stay? Rather different in that case. Pritchard is a .....

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

Pritchard's '' Brighton Goose was well and truly cooked'' a couple of years ago. And to be honest, I don't even think he would get into the current side. He would have been a great signing when we were in the Championship but we are a far better side than the one which wanted to sign him back then.

Cozzy

Jul 26, 2018
Grimsby
Gross called it a 'V' formation which is basically 4-5-1 when defending but becomes 4-1-2(CM's)-2(wingers)-1 in the shape of a V with DM at base and then increasing in width with each pair in front

Looks workable and Gross said to be used to and happy playing one of the 2 in front of the DM as he has played that role alot in Germany that uses that formation quite a bit.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
It looked effective against Arsenal, but I'd rather see Gross higher up against lesser opposition. He has the ability to unlock defences in a way that none of our other signings do

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here