Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Post 2011 fans or those who have returned since we arrived at the Amex.

wigman

Oct 10, 2006
East Preston
It is great to see the Amex sold out for every game, it helps bring the necessary revenue in to the club.
Many fans since 2011 are either new or those who have returned.
From personal experience, I have had many friends who have returned since we relocated back to Sussex and then into the Amex.

My questions are,

For the returning fans is,
that if we were to hit bad times I.e relegated and went down the leagues, would you stick with us ?

Post 2011 fans, are you now hooked ? and would you stick with us ?

Life long fans, what do you think ? and what are your views ?

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Those who returned simply wanted the club to have some kind of scope for ambition again presumably. So most of those would stick around as the stadium isn't going anywhere (this time).

New fans, who knows. Probably half would stick around based on how many other clubs lose during declines.

We would have 20k+ for a one off season in L1 comfortably.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
What else you gonna do on a Saturday?

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
If we stay in the PL for a while, crowds will hold up well. There will be some churn of relative newcomers giving up, but they’ll easily be replaced (Susses is a huge catchment area and the s/t waiting list is long).

Should we drop and stay there, crowds will depend on the football style and quality of players in the squad. I don’t think TB will allow the poor squad (under Hyppia) to happen again. If we’re say in the top 8 mix and play winning football (especially at home), crowds should always be well into the 20,000’s.

Falmerfourtickets

Dec 14, 2010
3) At the moment we are sort of 1980/1 era. Holding our own in the top flight. League position around the same.
Investing in the squad, looking almost comfortable. Manchester United ,Arsenal West Ham or Palace have beaten us at home in the Premier League.
This time around attendances have increased in the top flight, they began to dwindle in Div 1.
The Administration is much stronger this timethough with less reliance on gate receipts.
I don’t expect us to be propping up League 2 in 2034. But then again in 1981 I didn’t expect us to be 92nd in 1997!!

Last edited:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
3. Particularly good to see the number of new fans taking gaggles of kids to the games. Also to see the number of kids going to saturday training sessions in the park with Albion kits on. The new fans may or may not drift away in the event of any downturn, but they've indoctinated a whole new generation of kids into supporting the
Albion in the meantime. It's all good.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Stuck with it through Gillingham and the first 4 seasons at Withdrawn then drifted for a couple of seasons then returned towards the end. Don't envisage a time when disinterest would sink in again. I'm enjoying the premier League but would be equally happy with football at a lower level.

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
4. Started going at Withdean, continued at the Amex but, as a Bronze member, I am actually going less often in the Premier League and would probably go more often if we were to be relegated to the Championship.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
If we dropped into L2 again, the football was shocking and there was no investment / bad owner then I expect crowds wouldn’t be much bigger than they once were at Goldstone in similar circumstances. Let’s not pretend people wouldn’t desert in their droves, Jesus the number of Brighton fans during the late 80s and 90s who said they wouldn’t come back until xyz happened. So we know what will happen because it DID! Just as always said we’d get 30k again (oh how I was mocked!) in circumstances like today because...we always DID! Honestly, it’s not rocket science, just look at the history books. And excuse my smugness because ‘king hell the rats and shit we sometimes had to put up with for best part of 2 decades from many of those other ‘fans’...well, who’s laughing now?! It’ll always be sweeter for those of us who stuck with the Albion and did the entire rollercoaster ride from 1983 to 2017 and especially the war years onwards. :salute:

Thankfully I can never see that happening again. We hit the jackpot in Knight and Bloom, the Banks & Hurst of footballing chairmen. :albion2:

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Post 2011 fans, are you now hooked ? and would you stick with us ?

JCL here... :wave:

Yes. I am hooked. Was hooked in the Championship and would still be hooked if we were still there. PL is a bonus.

Beautifully run club and I feel genuinely privileged to be a STH.

Even better to have the honour of being amongst you nut-jobs on here, too! You even tolerate me... Life is good. :drink:

BHAFC is special. From the bottom (us) to the top (TB). We are lucky. :love:

Yes. I am hooked. Was hooked in the Championship and would still be hooked if we were still there. PL is a bonus.

Even better to have the honour of being amongst you nut-jobs on here, too! You even tolerate me... Life is good. :drink:

Knocky sums it up nicely. Feel as proud to be a supporter of an institution like BHAFC, of course for the football but as much for projects like AITC, anti homophobic approach ,etc. I enjoy talking to fans of other clubs about all the good things that make me support the club, not just where we currently are in whichever division.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

That [emoji122][emoji106]

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Not much tbh........broadly neutral but a keen watcher of football. Not Sussex B&B (Devon - so not a lot in the way of decent football) but pretty much integrated now. Kids are Sussex through and through.

Same here. I'm not local and moved to Sussex as a young man. My son is mad keen on football and so I started taking him to the Amex (after he declared he was going to be a Chelsea fan) and whilst getting him to support the Albion I got myself hooked too.

Pretty sure I've mentioned this before but I know a fair few STH in the same situation as mine in that they're aren't Sussex born and bred but moved here and whose kids support the Albion. Presumably 15 years ago those kids would have just supported whichever clubs were the top 6 but as the Albion was doing well they supported their local team instead.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Got taken to my first match by my Dad during our initial stint in the top flight and that's been pretty much it for life. Oddly, the war years only made the bond stronger. I went to more matches during the 1995-2000 period than any other time before or since. Mainly because I felt the club needed me.

Now I'm a Bronze member and probably only make it to three or four matches a season. I'm working most weekends and my match day buddy, my daughter, has recently left for university. The good thing is now I know that the club doesn't need me. It can sell out matches without me and is in very, very good hands.

I will always keep coming back. Always. I've a vague notion about getting a season ticket once I retire but that's a long way off yet.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here