Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Transport yesterday

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
Hung back, stayed on the concourse for half an hour but couldn't see what the queue was like for the Racecourse, got outside to see a massive queue. Back into the concourse for a pint and 20 minutes of the Watford match before going outside to see the queue exactly the same as it was half an hour before, over an hour after kick off I finally got on a bus back to the racecourse to be told I better be quick as they want to lock up.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
walked there and back to Woodingdean to burn off some xmas food and the pint i had post game. All in all a pleasant experience.

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
Got the shuttle bus back to Lewes, then drove back to Crawley. Indoors by 9pm.

A bit of a wait for the buses post match, but kind of expected. Though witnessed a bit of an argument with stewards as we were being queued behind coaches with their engines on, and breathing in lovely diesel fumes....

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
Bus to and from Pycombe was fantastic ( except for the moaning twats on board .......I really wonder why some go to football) would use that bus every week if it was running..

Question though...How did Arsenal fans get to know about parking in Pycombe when a fan number was needed to book?

Mr deez

Masterchef
Jan 13, 2005
Had 2 pints in dicks before getting the quietest bus I've been on after a game. No complaints here.

albiongirl

Jul 10, 2003
mileoak
We did P+R at Sainsbury's very straight forward not a problem quicker than Mill road we usually use.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
One thing I couldn't get my head around, was the number of public buses on the road, after the expected shut down time. As I went past on my NWSS coach at about 7.45 l saw two 25's in the Falmer Station bus layby loading passengers for the Old Steine.

Probably a lot less fans than normal too, as they didn't expect the service to be running so late.

Bansko Seagull

Bansko Seagull
May 6, 2009
Worthing, West Sussex
We waited for the traffic to die down and then walked to car park at end of hill. We did not leave the car park until 9pm due to poor traffic management. Ruined an otherwise completely enjoyable experience. The last time the traffic was stopped like this it was due to an ambulance dealing with a patient who had collapsed on a bus. Yesterday it just seemed to be poor management.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
We waited for the traffic to die down and then walked to car park at end of hill. We did not leave the car park until 9pm due to poor traffic management. Ruined an otherwise completely enjoyable experience. The last time the traffic was stopped like this it was due to an ambulance dealing with a patient who had collapsed on a bus. Yesterday it just seemed to be poor management.

Ruined!

In the top 10 attended events in the country on Boxing Day when there's no public transport of sorts and you have to wait "a while"..............day ruined!!!!

Sussexscots

Fed up with trains. Sick of the rain.
When your ticket price includes a 'sustainable transport levy' and the principal provider of said sustainable transport unilaterally decides to down tools, it feels a bit like someone pi55ing down your back and telling you it's raining.

I appreciate that Southern Rail's failure to arrive in the 21st Century is not the club's fault. But if you build a venue on a site where efficient public transport is an integral part of the design then games shouldn't be scheduled when that service is non existent.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
When your ticket price includes a 'sustainable transport levy' and the principal provider of said sustainable transport unilaterally decides to down tools, it feels a bit like someone pi55ing down your back and telling you it's raining.

I appreciate that Southern Rail's failure to arrive in the 21st Century is not the club's fault. But if you build a venue on a site where efficient public transport is an integral part of the design then games shouldn't be scheduled when that service is non existent.

30000 odd, well closer to 25000(imho) all got to and from the stadium in relative comfort some really need to get a grip.

So you expect others to be made to work so you, while on holiday can go to football rather selfish. As it is the railways are perhaps just attempting to get better by upgrading the lines while you're tucking into your turkey.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Got the wife's taxi to the match and yomped home...3.4 miles in a respectable 1 hour and 5 minutes. I actually enjoyed the walk home!!

Sussexscots

30000 odd, well closer to 25000(imho) all got to and from the stadium in relative comfort some really need to get a grip.

So you expect others to be made to work so you, while on holiday can go to football rather selfish. As it is the railways are perhaps just attempting to get better by upgrading the lines while you're tucking into your turkey.

I expect a first world country in the 21st Century to have an efficient and available Public Transport system, not one that shuts down almost totally for a couple of days. Plenty of people have to work on public holidays. I used to be one of them. The Railways are not unique and in any event I am sure, there would be staff who would be prepared to work if offered a suitable premium. As far as I am aware, no 'improvement' works took place on the line and in any event, yesterday was Boxing Day, not Christmas Day. So I wouldn't have been eating Turkey.

It's this country that needs to get a grip.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I expect a first world country in the 21st Century to have an efficient and available Public Transport system, not one that shuts down almost totally for a couple of days. Plenty of people have to work on public holidays. I used to be one of them. The Railways are not unique and in any event I am sure, there would be staff who would be prepared to work if offered a suitable premium. As far as I am aware, no 'improvement' works took place on the line and in any event, yesterday was Boxing Day, not Christmas Day. So I wouldn't have been eating Turkey.

It's this country that needs to get a grip.

Firstly there's been upgrade work over all of Christmas including Christmas Day which was the point I was making.

Secondly personally I think you come over as a very selfish person. You're lucky you're in this country just across the water every Sunday and Monday morning is like our Boxing day the whole place is shut!

Sussexscots

Firstly there's been upgrade work over all of Christmas including Christmas Day which was the point I was making.

Secondly personally I think you come over as a very selfish person. You're lucky you're in this country just across the water every Sunday and Monday morning is like our Boxing day the whole place is shut!

Wanting an efficient Public Transport system is selfish? Well OK. Other people that have jobs where they have to get to work on Public Holidays may consider it selfish of the main transport network to shut down when they still have to get to work. The trains are not just for the benefit of those going to football or shopping.

I don't know where 'over the water' you refer to is, but it's certainly not the case in France/Belgium/Holland where I've travelled quite easily on trains and trams over Christmas and the New Year in the past. There, people look at you with incredulity when you tell them the UK Rail Network all but shuts down over Christmas.

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
Parked in Brighton Uni lower car park. Took an hour and a half to get past the ground after the game. Going to have to take some tips from this thread if we ever have another no trains game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here