Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] The wind farm off Brighton

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
As opposed to the finite lifetime, endless maintenance of fuel based plants? Not sure what your point is there. Any type of power plant requires upkeep.

In 2013 15% of all UK energy was renewable. in 2015 it was 25%, surpassing coal generation. We're now up to 28% and nuclear + renewables accounts for more energy generation than the high carbon output alternatives for the first time.

We ran without coal for four days for the first time recently. If we keep moving forward with renewable energy then we might not need them at all.

Which begs the question as to why this was thrown out.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-west-wales-44589083

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
I have a foot in both camps - Obviously great for the planet but such a shame that the great emptiness of the sea, the unknown of what's beyond the horizon is taken away by them. I'd rather they had been on the downs personally.

Or maybe under the water?

We have millions of them up here in Scotland and they are great. Not the final energy solution on their own but coupled with solar and eventually tidal along with micro generation and home storage they do show how the nonsense that will be Hinkley C is really a complete folly and waste of money.

Putting them out to sea seems the sensible thing to me , keeps those bloody environmentalists quiet at least....

TNBA

TTF

ropey9

Feb 25, 2009
I think you've just conradicted yourself.

You've just claimed green energy is a myth. Then gone on to say electricity can be produced via wind farms. Plus, the issues you cite with costs of running green energy production are also there in all forms of electricity production. So what's your point? Trying to be edgy and contrary for the sake of it?

Where have I said green energy is a myth? Where have I mentioned any other forms of green energy. I'm not trying to be "edgy", "contrary", or anything. I'm not a fan of wind energy for a variety of reasons and was pointing out the flip side rarely highlighted.

ropey9

Feb 25, 2009
As opposed to the finite lifetime, endless maintenance of fuel based plants? Not sure what your point is there. Any type of power plant requires upkeep.

In 2013 15% of all UK energy was renewable. in 2015 it was 25%, surpassing coal generation. We're now up to 28% and nuclear + renewables accounts for more energy generation than the high carbon output alternatives for the first time.

We ran without coal for four days for the first time recently. If we keep moving forward with renewable energy then we might not need them at all.

I've limited my comment to Wind Farms, so not sure why you are quoting % across the renewable spectrum.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
For an example of how brilliant it can look, and how far from a 'blight', look at it now if you can... low cloud over it with orange glow behind.

It looks majestic.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Where have I said green energy is a myth? Where have I mentioned any other forms of green energy. I'm not trying to be "edgy", "contrary", or anything. I'm not a fan of wind energy for a variety of reasons and was pointing out the flip side rarely highlighted.

Starting your post with the arrogantly dismissive "Sigh!" was always going to lead to others accusing you of trying to be edgy, or contrary.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
image.jpg

Looking good.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Where have I said green energy is a myth?

Right here, by pointing out that wind energy is a 'green' myth. Insofar as its pollution and environmental record goes, you can't back up the claim it's a 'green myth', nor that green energy is a myth, mostly that it's not cost-effective which, given the latest round of bidding for off-shore wind farm contracts is concerned doesn't hold true.

Sigh!

Wind farms the green myth.

I'm not a fan of wind energy for a variety of reasons and was pointing out the flip side rarely highlighted.

The reasons you pointed out have little validity if you compare them to other forms of energy, including the spurious ones about maintenance, pollution and cost.

Your principle reasons for not liking wind energy appears to be based on the idea that they are not as efficient as some people claim - a claim not promoted by the energy firms themselves.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here