Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Climate change.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
That’s not strictly true though is it.

there was a trace of sarcasm. im aware that there is more to climate than CO2, however environmentalists have spent 25 years selling CO2 reductions and any time someone questions the data, details or predictions they get derided. start telling about methane people they are going to be skeptical about another change of tack. should have left the science open, so it could be reviewed and retold, like good science which is never settled.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Conveniently you only quote one half of my sentence. I said corporations and people are greedy.
We in the first world are greedy. We have an obesity problem, throw away food every day, whilst millions are starving.
War is greed through power, and causes starvation, such as in Yemen.

You are simply confirming that you said people are greedy.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
You honestly think Waitrose is the only place to get a range of fruit and vegetables? You poor soul. Did I say the whole world should go veggie? Or vegan? I said society should collectively reduce their meat intake, something which is perfectly doable in a lot of countries. In the UK alone, an estimated 86 million chickens are thrown away every year. Are you honestly suggesting more couldn’t be done?

less people is the answer, there are too many people :thumbsup:

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
I honestly think the human race will wipe itself out eventually. Far too successful and dominant on this planet. Right I’m being far too serious. Back on the wine. :D

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
That’s not strictly true though is it. Methane, the gas produced extensively by the livestock industry worldwide, traps up to 100 times more heat in the atmosphere than carbon dioxide within a 5 year period.

Maybe we should cut our meat consumption and eat more rice?

Except worldwide, paddy fields produce more methane than livestock.

It’s something that needs independent scientific research, not Facebook campaigns.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Do be quiet.

It is not your bedtime yet?

All I read there was ‘Be quiet. I don’t like the fact I might have to examine my choices and the impact they have so I’m going to insinuate you’re a child’.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Maybe we should cut our meat consumption and eat more rice?

Except worldwide, paddy fields produce more methane than livestock.

It’s something that needs independent scientific research, not Facebook campaigns.

Scientists have already declared that avoiding meat and dairy products is the single biggest way to reduce an individual’s environmental impact on the planet so... :shrug:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
You are simply confirming that you said people are greedy.

They are, but it's quite clear to anyone understanding the subtext of her point that she meant corporations and people in the first world from a consumption point of view, and by extension, people by their very nature. She's not referring to self-sustaining tribes on islands in the Indian ocean or sub saharan goat herders.

Your point about the number of people on the planet is well made, but the fact is that the world's resources are consumed out of all proportion by people in the first world.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Well, I am starting my diet on Jan1st and so shall be doing my bit for humanity by reducing my gluttony and general consumption of 'bad things'.
By the way, do pork scratchings still figure as part of the staple diet of many in the Black Country, MR?
Just interested and haven't been up that way for years!

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
Scientists have already declared that avoiding meat and dairy products is the single biggest way to reduce an individual’s environmental impact on the planet so... :shrug:

Scientists have also stated “However, internationally the dominant sources of methane are rice paddies and wetlands, not farm animals.”

:shrug:

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Scientists have also stated “However, internationally the dominant sources of methane are rice paddies and wetlands, not farm animals.”

:shrug:

I’m not trying to minimise the impact of rice paddies. But rice being a contributor to rising methane levels doesn’t mean that we shouldn’t seek to reduce said levels where we can. I am merely putting forward the idea that lesser consumption of animal products may well be necessary to reduce the worst impacts of climate change, as have the UN.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Hungary's €1billion greenhouse city.

Hungary has revealed plans to build a new carbon-neutral greenhouse-filled farming city that will be powered by renewable energy sources.

The €1 billion (£877 million) agricultural centre is proposed for the border between Hungary, Austria and Slovakia. It will cover 330 hectares – equivalent to 500 football pitches.

Hungary's minister of agriculture István Nagy said the development would herald an "epoch change for agriculture". German developers FAKT and energy providers EON are collaborating with the Hungarian government on the project.

https://www.dezeen.com/2019/05/31/hungary-greenhouse-city-renewable-energy/amp/

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Hungary has revealed plans to build a new carbon-neutral greenhouse-filled farming city that will be powered by renewable energy sources.

The €1 billion (£877 million) agricultural centre is proposed for the border between Hungary, Austria and Slovakia. It will cover 330 hectares – equivalent to 500 football pitches.

Hungary's minister of agriculture István Nagy said the development would herald an "epoch change for agriculture". German developers FAKT and energy providers EON are collaborating with the Hungarian government on the project.

https://www.dezeen.com/2019/05/31/hungary-greenhouse-city-renewable-energy/amp/
We are so far behind

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here