Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Liverpool F.C.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Whilst they have had a similar level of success, Liverpool F.C. do not seem to be disliked as Man U. At worst people seem ambivalent to them whereas Man U often engender hatred.

And demand at the AMEX shows that we want to see them more than any other team.

So, why is this?

Personally, I have always found Liverpool to be one of the friendliest places on Earth and I have a lot of time for scousers and the city itself. I hope they win the league.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
I've spent quite a bit of time in Liverpool too. I really don't think it's any more/less friendly than anywhere else (I've always found the mantra that northerners are friendlier than southerners etc a myth though tbh having lived around the country). Having said that I do quite like Liverpool as a club. Would much prefer them to win the league than City

boik

People definitely hated Liverpool back in the 70s/80s. Remember jokes about the ref missing incidents because his red scarf got in the way. People only like them now because they haven't won the league for yonks. c.f. City & Chelsea.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
There will probably be a Liverpool 'fan' sitting very nearby to most of us in the home ends when we play them in January.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Probably mostly down to the lack of league dominance they've had since the late 70s/80s. I imagine if Man U continues to drift as they have since Fergie retired, people will dislike them less.

I think perhaps attitude while winning plays a part. Man U always struck me as being favoured by officials, while claiming to be the victims of a conspiracy. Fergie created and used a them v us mentality in the team, which, in the face of all that extra time when they were trailing, all those decisions that seemed soft in their favour, made their claims of victimhood laughable and turned people against them. I don't remember Liverpool embracing such attitudes (but then, I wasn't paying that much attention to them in the 80s).

I also wonder if modern football culture also plays a part. I don't mean to paint the pre-premier league era as a bastion of sporting integrity and honour, but with the money in football, there has been a greater emphasis on winning at all costs. We pay lip service to not liking diving, but if we get an advantage from one of ours diving, we'll take it. It's not our fault the ref fell for our player cheating. Besides, if you sow the footage down you can see their guy's studs brushed the hem of our guy's shorts, so it's a clear foul. And really, when you run that fast... This idea of winning at all costs and it's all right when we do it, then feeds into this idea that every fan feels theirs is the only club playing fairly. (Zaha is a diving cheat, an embarrassment to the game of football, he needs to face more repercussions than he does - why on earth did he not get a three game ban for that shameful dive againt man city last season?! Murray? He's not treated fairly by refs, knockaert keeps getting taken out, and Izquierdo just has a clumsy running style!). There's also the idea that clubs these days just buy success, giving them bigger winnings, leading to more buying of success. It's not a level playing field. Liverpool's success in the 70s and 80s was built on playing better, Man U's was based on buying success (even the 'homegrown stars' like beckham did most of the development else where and were bought to give the illusion of developing their own stars!*) and based on getting away with more, and favourtism from authorities.

*I don't claim this to be an entirely accurate recount of their transfer policy, just the attitude toward it in some sectors of football fandom.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Mrs Jakarta's family were Merchant Navy on both sides so long time Liverpool residents, although with the demise of said Fleet they have mostly moved elsewhere.

I'm still not allowed to call them Bin Dippers, although they obviously are. :lolol:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
From a purely footballing / entertainment perspective they are a joy to watch. The front three are incredible and Van Dijk must be the best centre back in the world right now. And I love Klopp, I really do.

From a city perspective it's a bit of a mixed bag. Great place to go out in and a lot of friendly people to be sure but that reputation for thieving is well deserved Had a cabby try and rip us off and overcharged in two separate pubs in one night. Honestly met much better people in Manchester.

As for them as a club I am slowly going off them. Mostly because I have two Liverpool supporting mates. One has a share of a season ticket, goes regularly and keeps schtum in person and on social media. The other has probably never been to Anfield and yet plasters his Facebook with LFC crap 24/7.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
There will probably be a Liverpool 'fan' sitting very nearby to most of us in the home ends when we play them in January.
I'll be stood next to 2..

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
From a purely footballing / entertainment perspective they are a joy to watch. The front three are incredible and Van Dijk must be the best centre back in the world right now. And I love Klopp, I really do.

From a city perspective it's a bit of a mixed bag. Great place to go out in and a lot of friendly people to be sure but that reputation for thieving is well deserved Had a cabby try and rip us off and overcharged in two separate pubs in one night. Honestly met much better people in Manchester.

As for them as a club I am slowly going off them. Mostly because I have two Liverpool supporting mates. One has a share of a season ticket, goes regularly and keeps schtum in person and on social media. The other has probably never been to Anfield and yet plasters his Facebook with LFC crap 24/7.

I’ve never been knowingly ripped off, maybe you’re more astute :lolol: , but they’ve tried to sell all manner of knock-off goods to me and my mates from toothpaste to Ibiza Anthems CDs. My favourite was a mate who sat in Burger King minding his own business whilst someone persisted in trying to sell him jeans. He had to politely but assertively state he’d come in for a burger, not a pair of 501s.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Utd always been a bit more ‘showy’ and glamorous whilst Liverpool despite both being corporate behemoths these days seem to have a bit more ‘the people’ about them. But really there’s nothing to choose between then these days. They are both global giants whose roots were hard working class but now are rich mans business toys. Both been rocked by appalling tragedies too. And of course both great rivals and most successful clubs in English football by a country mile. If there’s one non Albion fixture a year I like to watch it’s this one. It’s got tremendous history and city rivalry that eg Spurs v Chelsea would kill for.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Whilst they have had a similar level of success, Liverpool F.C. do not seem to be disliked as Man U. At worst people seem ambivalent to them whereas Man U often engender hatred.

And demand at the AMEX shows that we want to see them more than any other team.

So, why is this?

Personally, I have always found Liverpool to be one of the friendliest places on Earth and I have a lot of time for scousers and the city itself. I hope they win the league.

Media darlings and spinners of publicity, good or bad. Been going on for 35 years or so.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
People definitely hated Liverpool back in the 70s/80s. Remember jokes about the ref missing incidents because his red scarf got in the way. People only like them now because they haven't won the league for yonks. c.f. City & Chelsea.

Yep, depends when you grew up. I was a kid in the 80s when all the schoolkids 'supported' Liverpool. I imagine if you were a 90s kid it was more Man Utd.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Can't stand them, personally.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
When I was growing up, early 90's, all the kids in my school supported United and they were terribly smug about it in the way that only children can be. Obnoxious little turds. That's what got my "Hate United" fire kindling.

Liverpool fans, when I met them, were always alright and that split has largely carried over to adult life. United fans are still smug gits. Liverpool fans are generally less so.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here