Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] buses for arsenal game

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Now, I don't want to put the club down because they are doing a great service at a time when our main transport system has shut down (also same to Southern, not there fault we have to play this game).
But 1000's use the train to get back to Brighton. A bus takes 100 people. I guess they will utilise the bendy buses and every bus they can get, but where will they stack them up? Quick calculation is let's say they get 15 buses that take 2 minutes to load but only three buses at the stop at a time. Every 10 minutes they can clear 300 people. Going to be a lot of angry people.

They have done this before. Several times - it worked fine. There wasn’t a lot of “angry people”

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Because, as far as I can work out, the train drivers’ union look for any excuse to strike these days. Being made to work on Boxing Day would be all out war

Some drivers are working on Boxing Day as there are limited Gatwick services.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I have gone through various options for this game from watching on sky to P & R then settled on the bus from Lewes but reading this thread about the probable delays getting home have decided against that and am now being dropped off and picked up within easy walking distance of the ground. I wonder how it would be if PB and TB had the same problem getting to a game as some supporters encounter. I would guarantee it wouldn't happen many times.

?? This (buses replacing trains ) has only happened several times in nearly 150+ Amex games and then it was completely out of the clubs control and they spent a fortune rectifying it. And TB often travels to ,away games at least, by train alongside “supporters”
And last time (from Lewes to falmer and back at least) - it worked fine.

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
Does anyone have any advice /suggestions on getting back to Eastbourne after the game, without driving? Public transport looks like it grinds to a halt at 5pm

Jello Biafra

Aug 8, 2011
The transport situation today is an abject farce. I've lived in London since 1994 as a fully paid up member of the liberal metropolitan elite (SW20) so Sussex is more of an alien environment for me than SW London. Anybody accustomed to the London transport system is going to think they've gone back in time to the 1930s if they're trying to get to the Amex today.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
They have done this before. Several times - it worked fine. There wasn’t a lot of “angry people”
Yes there was, I was one of them.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
The transport situation today is an abject farce. I've lived in London since 1994 as a fully paid up member of the liberal metropolitan elite (SW20) so Sussex is more of an alien environment for me than SW London. Anybody accustomed to the London transport system is going to think they've gone back in time to the 1930s if they're trying to get to the Amex today.

Though Southern (or BR previously) don't run local services in London on Boxing Day either so not that different to the situation on the Falmer line.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Though Southern (or BR previously) don't run local services in London on Boxing Day either so not that different to the situation on the Falmer line.

Personally, in this day-and-age, I cannot see any excuse for not running services on Boxing Day, or Christmas Day. As long as staff are adequately compensated and not forced to work there’s really no reason why they can’t run. It’s baffling why we have this discussion every year.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
That may be your opinion re kick off but not the majority. I think it is the worst possible time on Boxing Day either a lunch time or 3pm kick off would have enabled people to use the normal buses and thus caused less problems.

I'm sure thar is the opinion of the club too. They have had to fork out tens of thousands, (maybe more), in paying for the shuttle busses to ferry fans from and to Brighton and Lewes to get to the game.

However, what sky or BT want, sky or BT get.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

In the 1930's the transport system was better than it is now!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Personally, in this day-and-age, I cannot see any excuse for not running services on Boxing Day, or Christmas Day. As long as staff are adequately compensated and not forced to work there’s really no reason why they can’t run. It’s baffling why we have this discussion every year.

This. 3 out of 10 Brits go shopping today according to this morning's news. Doubtless would be higher except for the shutdown of public transport. For somewhere like the Amex whose whole premise is built on sustainable transport, it's just crap. For sure public transport staff fully deserve to spend quality time with their families over the xmas period, but there must be many who would welcome the extra cash to run a limited service on a purely voluntary basis.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
This. 3 out of 10 Brits go shopping today according to this morning's news. Doubtless would be higher except for the shutdown of public transport. For somewhere like the Amex whose whole premise is built on sustainable transport, it's just crap. For sure public transport staff fully deserve to spend quality time with their families over the xmas period, but there must be many who would welcome the extra cash to run a limited service on a purely voluntary basis.

It's difficult to argue with this really.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010

It’s 3rd world stuff

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here