Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dick Knight interview now on YouTube

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick
For the last few weeks I have been doing a very low key Albion related interview series for Latest TV: they get broadcast as and when with no publicity really, fine with that, learning curve, I've needed to learn to shut up and listen! :)
But I've done five now, if you're interested: latest with Dick Knight up now at
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHjD0RZotVA&t=790s
(second half coming soon, of course we had to do two!)
and before that there is Paul Camillin, Dan Tester, Paul Samrah and Ade & Al from Albion Roar, all easily searchable..
just a heads up, always good to try something new at the age of 61....

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Cheers Mr B, I shall take a view!

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
For the last few weeks I have been doing a very low key Albion related interview series for Latest TV: they get broadcast as and when with no publicity really, fine with that, learning curve, I've needed to learn to shut up and listen! :)
But I've done five now, if you're interested: latest with Dick Knight up now at
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHjD0RZotVA&t=790s
(second half coming soon, of course we had to do two!)
and before that there is Paul Camillin, Dan Tester, Paul Samrah and Ade & Al from Albion Roar, all easily searchable..
just a heads up, always good to try something new at the age of 61....

Cheers [MENTION=528]attila[/MENTION]

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Dick Knight is the greatest legend we have bar none. Including Ward, Bobby, Tony, etc.

What he did was truly unbelievable - of course he invested a little bit of money, but the way he ran the club to success, against all odds, is legendary. Trophy wise, under his helm we enjoyed the most successul period in the club's history, despite being perpetual underdogs. From literally nothing, we rose like a phoenix from the ashes, to where we are today, thanks to him... then of course, are his efforts in getting us the stadium, paving the way for us being the Premier League team that we are now.

Without DK, we would probably not exist today. Yet now we are a Premier League team with a lot more trophies in our cabinet. The man deserves a statue.

Thanks for the interview AtS.

This.

The Knight knockers need to give their head a wobble. Or even a smart slap.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I wish I knew what it is between DK and TB, but there certainly seems to be something. Without DK I don't think we'd have had a club to support. Obviously he didn't have the financial clout to take it further, and TB stepped in, and thanks to him as well we are where we are today - but if DK hadn't been there first, there would have been nothing for TB to put his money into.

They are both Albion heroes through and through. Full respect to both, not just to one or the other. Both of them!

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Dick almost got a word in there John!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
God love him. About 7 minutes in. DK legend.

Attila 'the atmospherehas gone out of the game ' 'The North Stand Collective' (who??) :facepalm: FFS John....grow up.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I wish John you would accept that old school isn't the way forward.

No evidence here at all that DK has any beef with Tony or the club. The opposite in fact.

Gosh....I miss Withdean. The open sky above the terrace, the fresh air....

:facepalm:

John is the same age as me. I have a horrible feeling I sound just like him. Slightly over insistent, won't shut the **** up :lolol::facepalm:

Edit: top interview. great work.

Last edited:

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick
It was like an old person's rap battle. Dick is probably the only person I have ever met who talks more than I do :)
Seriously, though, he is enjoying the feeling of achievement (as we all are) and whatever beefs there have been are superseded by the fact that he wants the best for the Albion and is absolutely loving the football. He is a genuinely lovely bloke.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I wish John you would accept that old school isn't the way forward.

No evidence here at all that DK has any beef with Tony or the club. The opposite in fact.

Gosh....I miss Withdean. The open sky above the terrace, the fresh air....

:facepalm:

John is the same age as me. I have a horrible feeling I sound just like him. Slightly over insistent, won't shut the **** up :lolol::facepalm:

Edit: top interview. great work.

John is the same age as me too. As good as football seemed in the 'good' old days of the Goldstone and Withdean, the game, and life in general for that matter, has moved on.

As much as l loved my seat at the back of the old wind swept, rain soaked, south stand at the Withdean, there is no way l would swap my nice roomy padded seat in the West Stand of the Amex for it now.

Some times memories can be rose tinted, and there is no way I would like to go back now.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
It was like an old person's rap battle. Dick is probably the only person I have ever met who talks more than I do :)
Seriously, though, he is enjoying the feeling of achievement (as we all are) and whatever beefs there have been are superseded by the fact that he wants the best for the Albion and is absolutely loving the football. He is a genuinely lovely bloke.

I'm not really surprised as to what DK mentioned about 17 clubs voting to kick the Albion out of the league.
It just goes to show that football is a business, and there is no loyalty amongst one and all.
Anyway look where we are now, and who's laughing now :albion2:

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick
Don't get me wrong. I LOVE Falmer. I'd love it more if all of us who stand in the NS could have safe standing....and, Mr Wilson's meat and two veg, I am a big fan of the NSK and the banners and witty chants they come up with, and I'd love to see more displays etc, the opportunity to drink a pint while watching a game, a cauldron of noise, all the stuff you see in mainland Europe...cheaper tickets, more home grown players, games not moved at Murdoch's whim....Yes, I'm old school :)
But that doesn't mean I don't LOVE Falmer as it is and where we are now!

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Don't get me wrong. I LOVE Falmer. I'd love it more if all of us who stand in the NS could have safe standing....and, Mr Wilson's meat and two veg, I am a big fan of the NSK and the banners and witty chants they come up with, and I'd love to see more displays etc, the opportunity to drink a pint while watching a game, a cauldron of noise, all the stuff you see in mainland Europe...cheaper tickets, more home grown players, games not moved at Murdoch's whim....Yes, I'm old school :)
But that doesn't mean I don't LOVE Falmer as it is and where we are now!

You need to do a guest slot at a Seagulls Over London meeting, sometime :)

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
This.

The Knight knockers need to give their head a wobble. Or even a smart slap.

Quite. In the past (maybe less so now), there has been there battle of attrition between Knight acolytes v Bloom acolytes.

I cannot think of a more ludicrous argument. They are clearly very different gentlemen, with their own ambitions, desires and aspirations. The fact is, the former achieved one goal (two, I suppose - saving the club AND getting the stadium), and the other achieved his. At so many times over the past 22 years, the fans called out for a hero; a leader to help us, to save the club, to take us on. And what did get? We got two.

I mean, how cool is that?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

That wasn't evident in the interview!!!

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Quite. In the past (maybe less so now), there has been there battle of attrition between Knight acolytes v Bloom acolytes.

I cannot think of a more ludicrous argument. They are clearly very different gentlemen, with their own ambitions, desires and aspirations. The fact is, the former achieved one goal (two, I suppose - saving the club AND getting the stadium), and the other achieved his. At so many times over the past 22 years, the fans called out for a hero; a leader to help us, to save the club, to take us on. And what did get? We got two.

Well done. I entirely agree. There was always the potential for a bit of scratchiness when two high-octane individuals, both successful in their different ways and fields, come together in the situation they did. With great self-assurance the old fan from Hangleton built a successful international advertising company up from scratch, retired, took it easy for about a week and then launched into task of keeping the Albion alive. It is difficult to imagine him doing it without the huge support of Martin Perry, the financial backers he brought in and the fans orchestrated by Paul Samrah but it was DK's never-say-die spirit, the same spirit that built his agency, that provided the focal point for all of us. Inevitably an Albion hero didn't find it easy to hand over to another Albion hero when he could do no more but that's in the past. Tony Bloom quite properly has Dick's support and there was nothing in Attila's piece to suggest otherwise.

There's another angle to your point Al. You're right to say we were lucky to have two people coming to the rescue when we were in trouble but we were also lucky that they came to prominence in the right order.

Dick was the perfect man to take over the club at the time, not only to handle the removal of Archer but just as important to get Falmer. His sales and marketing skills, as well as his ability tp persuade the powers that be, to motivate the fans and to run the club on a shoestring were essential. Without him I dread to think where we would be now.

And Tony was the perfect man to take over and develop Dick's groundwork.

Had they come in a different order I'm not sure Tony would have been the right man to get us to Falmer, and Dick didn't have the funds necessary both to complete Falmer or to fund the rise to where we are now.

I would love to have seen Dick hand over the keys to Tony on the pitch before the first game.

I hope that whatever differences they did have are now behind them; we wouldn't be where we are now without both of them

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here