Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Is it possible to view old VHS tapes withot a video player?

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
That's a good idea, I hadn't thought of a charity shop. I'll have a look in town after Christmas, I'd be happy to pay a fiver (assume it still works!!)
Can't comment on other places but at Barnardo's everything is PAT tested and if it doesn't work you get a 14 day guarantee anyway.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Many charity shops can't take electrical goods, but you could try a British Heart Foundation shop. You may not find a VCR player, but you might pick up an old 12 inch 'portable' tele (like the kids might have had in the bedroom) many of which had a slot at the bottom for playing VCRs.

Or one of these might be worth investing fifty quid on:
https://www.pinnaclesys.com/en/prod...MIyZa7n7Cx3wIVzZztCh0BcQTZEAQYAiABEgL8n_D_BwE

Betamax though, and you're almost certainly screwed!

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Ive had a bit of a clear out and come across three old VHS tapes that must be at least 25 years old, possibly more.

They look in decent physical condition but I have no idea what can be on them, there's nothing written on the box. They were blank at one time, not prerecorded.

Any idea how I can find out what's on them? Probably it's not something I'd want to keep so I don't want to pay to have them digitalised just to find out they are recordings of Monty Python or something!

But I did do a bit of extra work for TV back then and one just might be a recording of me on Nevermind the Buzzcocks or a few other shows I did.

Any suggestions?

You can buy a player for less than a fiver, boot sale, gumtree, FB etc.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I had a VHS tape I titled Brighton v Arsenal. The wife never once put it on.....

I have some CDs in a box labeled 'Reprints, ion channel blockade, 2001-2006' that attract very litte interest.

Last edited:

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
If you or another poster has any quantity of self-recorded stuff they want to digitise, there was a VERY brief period of VCR+DVDR decks which can record from one to the other direct. The JVC ones are actually very good quality DVD players for the era too. Loads on eBay for tiny money now.

The bigger ones are progressive scan, component output, firewire in for camcorder->DVD, SVHS deck etc so are quite dear still as they're still actually useful for a lot of stuff. Mine gets used about once a year but was my main DVD player pre-bluray - the few Superbit DVDs I had looked fantastic over component on them.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Many charity shops can't take electrical goods, but you could try a British Heart Foundation shop. You may not find a VCR player, but you might pick up an old 12 inch 'portable' tele (like the kids might have had in the bedroom) many of which had a slot at the bottom for playing VCRs.

Or one of these might be worth investing fifty quid on:
https://www.pinnaclesys.com/en/prod...MIyZa7n7Cx3wIVzZztCh0BcQTZEAQYAiABEgL8n_D_BwE

Betamax though, and you're almost certainly screwed!

Betamax ? - It's the future :D

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
That's a good idea, I hadn't thought of a charity shop. I'll have a look in town after Christmas, I'd be happy to pay a fiver (assume it still works!!)

You can spend all day browsing in the 78 charity shops of Bexhill lol.

One place to try is on the corner of Sackville Road and Parkhurst Road where there is a shop selling old cds DVDS, vinal records etc he might have something or know where to get it from

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
great idea. From an era when they never played them.

VHS was first sold in the UK in 1978, so there’s been nearly a dozen meetings between then and the decline of the format around the turn of the century. :)

2916C829-4986-496F-B631-1751F9C8D4C0.jpeg

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
You can spend all day browsing in the 78 charity shops of Bexhill lol.

One place to try is on the corner of Sackville Road and Parkhurst Road where there is a shop selling old cds DVDS, vinal records etc he might have something or know where to get it from

Frequent visitor then? :wink:

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
They're unlikely to work very well if they're 25 years old as the earth's magnetic field gradually wipes them. Anything you recorded yourself is likely to last longer as this type of cassette required a stronger field.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here