Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Christmas gluttony competition

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
Ok. Today's weight is exactly 15st . A gain of 8lbs. Not sure that i can be bothered to hit the diet on the first day back at work as it's already too depressing, maybe next Monday...

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
17st 3lb. A 2lb weight gain. I have absolutely no idea why so little, but I'll take it.

Now to cut back on the booze, and eat sensibly. Once I'm back down to 16st 7lb or thereabouts (should take 3-5 weeks) I'll start running again.

I'm sick of food, and i'm sick of alcohol - which is my feeling every year in the first week of January.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Ok. Today's weight is exactly 15st . A gain of 8lbs. Not sure that i can be bothered to hit the diet on the first day back at work as it's already too depressing, maybe next Monday...

Same gain for me but not as a percentage. Now 11st. Just need to put on a few more pounds tighten the belly and I'll be fighting fit.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Was heading for the 87kg mark again when I got a tummy bug on New Year’s Eve.
As a result I ended up on 84kg, plus 2kg, feeling better now and am going to lay into those left over mince pies with vanilla custard all hot from the microwave.
Still time till I go back to work Monday.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
About 15 stone just now, but I’m tall. Still eating too much, as away on holiday.

Target to get to 13,8 once back in blightly.

I drink little booze ... my problem is a sweet tooth and I hate feeling peckish so eat ‘well’.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
I am now 18st 4lbs a gain of 3lbs which has surprised me as I expected to put more on although I did give Mrs Crodo a good pounding on NYE which might have helped.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I plan on putting on 1 lb between now and 1st Jan.
I've put on 1.3 lb. Ate/drank a lot on Christmas day and new years eve, and had to cut back on other days to keep it under control. I've only been to the gym once since Christmas, which is a bit crap, so I'll be trying to get back on track.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
For those who want to keep the weight under control, or lose a little, I'd like to help if possible, without coming across as an arse (well, one can dream right?).

Diet has a couple of meanings (copied from online):
1) the kinds of food that a person, animal, or community habitually eats.
2) a special course of food to which a person restricts themselves, either to lose weight or for medical reasons.

Trying to diet (ie, the second one) is generally bound to fail (because our mood changes, motivation comes and goes, etc). Instead, just try and change a few habits, so you can be happy with what you eat (the first definition of diet) all the time.

I'm saying this because of Rob's comment that hitting the diet on the first day back at work is too depressing, so maybe he'll start next Monday. It doesn't need to be depressing, because it doesn't need to be an unpleasant diet that means missing out on all the foods you like. Instead it's best just to be in the habit of eating a diet of foods that keeps you at the weight you want to be. Please note, that although it was Rob's comment that made me think of this, my post isn't aimed specifically at Rob, as I don't know anything about him.

Putting off a diet (second definition) until next week might lead to binging between now and then, making you feel guilty and making the task harder.

One method that works is to write down everything you eat and drink, and how many calories are in it. That's it. You don't need to try and reduce the calories to hit a target, you just write them down. What that does is make you more conscious of what you're eating, and you automatically begin to make choices that are better for you. You learn that some treats are just not very satisfying for the amount of calories you're consuming, and you'd rather eat something filling instead. Also, drink lots of water if you can.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
For those who want to keep the weight under control, or lose a little, I'd like to help if possible, without coming across as an arse (well, one can dream right?).

2) a special course of food to which a person restricts themselves, either to lose weight or for medical reasons.

Trying to diet (ie, the second one) is generally bound to fail (because our mood changes, motivation comes and goes, etc). Instead, just try and change a few habits, so you can be happy with what you eat (the first definition of diet) all the time.

I'm saying this because of Rob's comment that hitting the diet on the first day back at work is too depressing, so maybe he'll start next Monday. It doesn't need to be depressing, because it doesn't need to be an unpleasant diet that means missing out on all the foods you like. Instead it's best just to be in the habit of eating a diet of foods that keeps you at the weight you want to be. Please note, that although it was Rob's comment that made me think of this, my post isn't aimed specifically at Rob, as I don't know anything about him.

Putting off a diet (second definition) until next week might lead to binging between now and then, making you feel guilty and making the task harder.

One method that works is to write down everything you eat and drink, and how many calories are in it. That's it. You don't need to try and reduce the calories to hit a target, you just write them down. What that does is make you more conscious of what you're eating, and you automatically begin to make choices that are better for you. You learn that some treats are just not very satisfying for the amount of calories you're consuming, and you'd rather eat something filling instead. Also, drink lots of water if you can.

Yep. Pretty much as simple as managing calories in vs calories out for the vast majority. If ‘in’ is less than ‘out’ weight will fall. Move more and eat less..........

Apps/trackers such as MyFitnessPal can really help with this if you want to monitor intake accurately

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
13st 3lbs this morning need to try and lose 6lbs

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Yep. Pretty much as simple as managing calories in vs calories out for the vast majority. If ‘in’ is less than ‘out’ weight will fall.
Calories in vs out is the case for everyone, not the vast majority. That's just science. Obviously the difficulty (for many) is in managing that, and I fully appreciate it's not an easy thing for everyone. But I do believe that the right approach can make it work for a lot of people.

Move more and eat less..........
While sort of true, it's a phrase that doesn't help many people. I say sort of true, because you can eat more food (in weight) while eating fewer calories - or you can eat different calories, as not all calories are equal. And while moving more does make you burn more calories, you have to move a lot to burn just a little snack, so our diet has the biggest affect on our weight.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset

Cheers Trigg - actually i'm not that depressed (i was perhaps being a little dramatic). The healthier Rob push can wait until next week once the the wine box is finished etc. Clear the decks and replace with healthier options. All good advice that you posted.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I had a rotten cold / flu like symptoms over Christmas and had a vastly reduced food and alcohol intake, started the holiday at 14st 3lbs and ended on 14 st 1 lb, got to be happy with that as I try to get down to 11st 7 lbs during the first six months of this year!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Cheers Trigg - actually i'm not that depressed
Oh crikey, I hadn't thought you were. Many people struggle with their weight (not including you in this, as I said, I know nothing about you) and they go from diet to diet, and then they feel bad when they haven't stuck to what was an unrealistic diet in the first place. And when people eat more than they wanted to, they often then think 'oh well, I've blown it anyway so I might as well write-off today/this week' and then they end up eating more and more. I was just reminded of this when you said you'd start next Monday.

There are obviously £billions made by the dieting industry, and it's not in their interest to see people be at the weight they want to be, so it's not in their interest to let people know how achievable it is, without spending money on any particular plan.

The healthier Rob push can wait until next week once the the wine box is finished etc. Clear the decks
:D
All good advice that you posted.
Thanks. Do you have to live without wine hanging around, as it's too tempting? You have my sympathies if so. Fortunately my body isn't that great with getting drunk, so although I enjoy drink, it's never been a vice for me.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
Thanks. Do you have to live without wine hanging around, as it's too tempting? You have my sympathies if so. Fortunately my body isn't that great with getting drunk, so although I enjoy drink, it's never been a vice for me.

it's the combination of enjoying a glass or 2, and being too miserly to see it go to waste. (the box was opened prior to christmas and then we went away for a week between xmas/new year)

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
it's the combination of enjoying a glass or 2, and being too miserly to see it go to waste
That's me.
(the box was opened prior to christmas and then we went away for a week between xmas/new year)
Sorry, are you talking about a box - as in 6 or 12 bottles, or are you talking about wine that comes out of a box? If it's the latter I'm far too stuck up to talk to you :D

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I am now 18st 4lbs a gain of 3lbs which has surprised me as I expected to put more on although I did give Mrs Crodo a good pounding on NYE which might have helped.

*This thread is just fine as it is without pics*

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
13 st 5 this morn, aim to get to 12 5 in 3 months 12 by the end of the year, eating pizza and drinking beer at the crate brewery right now isn't helping..

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Think I''ve won this one and looking forward to putting the Trophy alongside the 2017 NSC Cheltenham Tipping Trophy.
Beware the competitive skinny runts.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here