Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] What does the future hold for Thee Albion ?

What does the future hold for Thee Albion ?

• Relegation and Yo-Yo.

Votes: 7 8.8%
  • A Constant fight for survival.

Votes: 34 42.5%
  • A Domestic cup.

Votes: 26 32.5%
  • A Top six finish.

Votes: 4 5.0%
  • A Top four finish.

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Win the Premier League.

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • European Glory.

Votes: 7 8.8%

• Total voters

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The first half of that is pretty much what's happened to Bolton who were in a very similar position to us. Bankrolled by a single very wealthy fan benefactor to reach the promise land of the Premier League, with him pumping in, and writing off, c£200m all-in before he left.

I'm not suggesting for one second we could go down the same path as Bolton, but I would imagine their fans would have long said stuff like "It's fine - Eddie's a lifelong fan so he'll make sure we're OK."

Well thats the "wet dream scenario" for them up the road. Davies was quite a bit older than Bloom though and his health failed him towards the end. Although he was a millionaire, I'm not sure he had the financial clout of TB. Plus Bloom was a 3rd generation board member, and will likely pass on the reigns to his son once he shuffles off this mortal coil.

You can never predict the future, but I think we're ok for the forseeable.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
1-5 Years: Mid-table consolidation years
6-10 Years: Pushing for top 6
11-15: Premier league domination ending in European glory
16-20: Founding member of the World Super League which has a fairly competitive start.
21-25: World Super League Domination
26-30: Voted as a member entity into the NWO
30-35: Strategic positioning within the Local Solar geographic region
26+ General global domination. The Earth renamed The Albion.

Meanwhile, Croydon burns in some sort of Mad Max gone wrong scenario.
:bowdown:

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I think those who've voted a constant fight for survival don't get Tony's ambition.

Don't think so.

We'll never match the top six, (and then at least another 6) for wages, so on average, we'll always finish below them. Bottom half means you're struggling to stay up.

Tony is ambitious and not short of a few quid clearly, but he doesn't have the resources of a state as some of our competitors do

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
25 years is a long time in football. We are kidding ourselves if we do not expect a relegation/promotion in that time. But, at the same time, it's completely possible that we could see a domestic cup/top 6 finish in that time also.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I'm going to go out on a limb here, but what is this premier league survival people speak of? Stayed well above all that nonsense since our promotion have we not? Relegation scrap – bounce me when it happens.
:thumbsup::moo::stupid:

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
The chances of spending 25 years unbroken in the top division are extremely slim.

I can see a situation in 3 - 5 years where the TV deals have collapsed and everyone is back to relying on the chairman to bankroll them again. Probably that would marginally benefit us.

Conversely I can see a situation in the next 5 years where inflation continues unchecked. Our average wage for a player is £200k per week. It wouldn't get us further up the table, because, Everton, Wolves etc would be paying £400k per week

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I voted for relegation and yo-yo because for the last 50 years that has been what I believed was achievable and was the limits of my ambition for the Albion (and my first 25 years didn't go to plan!). We are outperforming that at the moment but 25 years is a long time.

And after reading [MENTION=805]Kalimantan Gull[/MENTION] post, that is if nothing else changes (which, of course, it will).

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
I think the next 3-5 years will be progression, and enjoyable progression, too...

However, there's a glass ceiling - and clubs like ours hit it sooner or later. Without a worldwide fan base and marketing machine to extract the maximum cash from them bringing in untold millions you can't buy the best players on the world stage, or pay them what they want...

I'll be happy to see good attacking football where we steamroll the lesser clubs and make the big clubs nervous. I don't think we can ask for a great deal more than that.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I think the next 3-5 years will be progression, and enjoyable progression, too...

However, there's a glass ceiling - and clubs like ours hit it sooner or later. Without a worldwide fan base and marketing machine to extract the maximum cash from them bringing in untold millions you can't buy the best players on the world stage, or pay them what they want...

I'll be happy to see good attacking football where we steamroll the lesser clubs and make the big clubs nervous. I don't think we can ask for a great deal more than that.

Sounds good. Plus a few stars coming through the academy.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I think in the next 25 years, we will inevitably be relegated at some point, and it all depends who is in charge at that point at the top of the club. Mr Bloom at some point even if he stays at the top will also at some point come under some criticism, when time has passed the ground is 15years old and there seems to be no next step. That is when we will be vulnerable to a take over, collapse or both. The main aim of the club in the next five years will be survival with no excuse why a domestic cup given a favourable draw is not a strong possibility or target. between 5-10 years is when we would be looking to take the top half possibly six step, otherwise why bother. That is when the disenchantment may start and the potential for a fall is at it's strongest, and when possibly Bloom would bail out. If we progress it would be no higher than this, everything is stacked against us not being a big club. Could we extend the Amex, could we build a new ground, would we fill it, I very much doubt it.

I know this for nothing, back in the dark days, my dream was for us to be a top championship team, with a wining visit to wembley at some time in my lifetime, well that in part has been surpassed because better people than me, dare to dream a little more than me.

Long may that continue.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016

100% agree. I suppose if we produced a couple of super stars, and kept them for a decade at their peak then we would gain millions of worldwide fans, and perhaps build off the back of that - retaining them. That is practically impossible but I reckon still our best hope of any kind of seismic change.

More likely is that Tony gives up in a decade, after years of grief from fans for not spendings enough. Sells to a madman from Asia, who renames the club ‘Brighton Thundercats’, changes the crest to a picture of Mumra (the ever-living) and gives us a neon pink home strip. We suffer three relegations in a row but get a really cool Netflix documentary to chronicle it

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
https://www.brightonandhovealbion.com/matches/u23-league-table2/

This tells me all i need to know about what our future holds , everything has been put into place to make sure this club not only survives but flourishes and grows stronger season after season , the investment in the academy set up must not be overlooked when looking at the club as a whole , the U23s have progressed as quickly as the first team and it's looking as if we have quite a few players that are on the brink of breaking in to the first team /Loan system , so that investment may soon produce it's intended goods .

Of course we will have blips in form as most teams do , but if you could build a perfect club from scratch the RIGHT way , then i would suggest we are pretty darn close , seriously 25 years ago who could of imagined where we are now ? so where could we be in 25 years time ! the ceilings not the limit my friends .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here