Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] You can't get much more northern than this ...

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Just to ice the cake the winner plays Horsham next.
Ramsbottom won't be looking forward to that grim northern outpost.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
My wife always takes the piss out of the streets I grew up on (Throxenby Way and Thirkleby Royd are the ones she titters at, even after 25 years..) - and the surnames of the kids I went to school with.. Stopforth, Longthorpe and Armitage being a few... :glare:

It's grim up North... :hilton:

Jahooli

Feb 12, 2008
My wife always takes the piss out of the streets I grew up on (Throxenby Way and Thirkleby Royd are the ones she titters at, even after 25 years..) - and the surnames of the kids I went to school with.. Stopforth, Longthorpe and Armitage being a few... :glare:

Royd? Sounds like someone trying to talk posh, I thought Road was pronounced Rhurd ....I always chuckled when I saw Nibthwaite Road in Wealdstone.

Knocky's Nose

May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
I think 'Royd' is old-Yorkshire for Road.

I left there (clinging to to the underside of a lorry bound for the M1 South) thirty years ago though..

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home

I left there (clinging to to the underside of a lorry bound for the M1 South) thirty years ago though..

My nan had two sisters and one of them married a Boothroyd.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
Royd? Sounds like someone trying to talk posh, I thought Road was pronounced Rhurd ....I always chuckled when I saw Nibthwaite Road in Wealdstone.

Royd is an Anglian word meaning "cleared area of ground".

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
THE LION AND ALBERT
There’s a famous seaside place called Blackpool,
That’s noted for fresh air and fun,
And Mr and Mrs Ramsbottom
Went there with young Albert, their son.
A grand little lad was young Albert,
All dressed in his best; quite a swell
With a stick with an ‘orse’s ‘ead ‘andle,
The finest that Woolworth’s could sell.

If you've not heard of it before, google it. Very amusing!

Knocky's Nose

May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Royd is an Anglian word meaning "cleared area of ground".

Well, Thirkleby Royd is still a densely packed street full of poorly maintained council houses, so that's not quite the ticket.... It's as 'clear' as a lip readers work schedule at the moment.

My dear Nan used to say "Reet, I'm off down't throyd tu't shops" (translated into Southern as 'Alright Geezers, I'm off daahn the shops if yer wan' ennyfin'..." :lolol:

*hence my thinking Royd meant Road.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Just to ice the cake the winner plays Horsham next.
Ramsbottom won't be looking forward to that grim northern outpost.

Lucky for Ramsbottom they didn't get an away tie in Wales, otherwise they'd be returning home rather sore...

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....

Did you ever "cut through snicket"

It is and it isn't, having spent some of my early teens in Wigan then later Manchester. I did think in some aspects it drove me nuts, the backward neanderthal blokes in white shirts and socks and black pants on a Friday and a Saturday night wanting a fight with anyone especially if you were dressed differently or from outside the village or town.

The Pies, and chip shops were awesome, and the sayings were fantastic, people once you got to know them were nearly always friendly and welcoming.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Well, Thirkleby Royd is still a densely packed street full of poorly maintained council houses, so that's not quite the ticket.... It's as 'clear' as a lip readers work schedule at the moment.

My dear Nan used to say "Reet, I'm off down't throyd tu't shops" (translated into Southern as 'Alright Geezers, I'm off daahn the shops if yer wan' ennyfin'..." :lolol:

*hence my thinking Royd meant Road.

An understandable mistake, it looks and sounds a bit like road. But in the same way as towns that have/end in 'ham' they are no longer hamlets or villages

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Did you ever "cut through snicket"

It is and it isn't, having spent some of my early teens in Wigan then later Manchester. I did think in some aspects it drove me nuts, the backward neanderthal blokes in white shirts and socks and black pants on a Friday and a Saturday night wanting a fight with anyone especially if you were dressed differently or from outside the village or town.

The Pies, and chip shops were awesome, and the sayings were fantastic, people once you got to know them were nearly always friendly and welcoming.

Snickets are called ginnels (soft g as in begin) around West Yorkshire. My mum from Kent referred to them as twittens as did I.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
My nan had two sisters and one of them married a Boothroyd.

I knew some Boothroyds in that neck of the woods.

Heckmondwike and Cleckheaton. When working at the electricity board, we referred to that area as CleckHuddersFax.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Snickets are called ginnels (soft g as in begin) around West Yorkshire. My mum from Kent referred to them as twittens as did I.
(Hard g in West Yorkshire (begin is a hard g), soft g in South Yorkshire sounds like jennel.

THE LION AND ALBERT
There’s a famous seaside place called Blackpool,
That’s noted for fresh air and fun,
And Mr and Mrs Ramsbottom
Went there with young Albert, their son.
A grand little lad was young Albert,
All dressed in his best; quite a swell
With a stick with an ‘orse’s ‘ead ‘andle,
The finest that Woolworth’s could sell.

If you've not heard of it before, google it. Very amusing!

Admit your age by recalling the Lion's name :)

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here