Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Humour] Doorstep parcel thieves beware....

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-46604625

A former Nasa engineer spent six months building a glitter bomb trap to trick thieves after some parcels were stolen from his doorstep.

The device, hidden in an Apple Homepod box, used four smartphones, a circuit board and 1lb (453g) of glitter.

Mark Rober, who is now a Youtuber, caught the original thieves on his home security camera.

He decided to take action after the police said they were unable to investigate the case.
He designed the elaborate bomb so that it would be activated when the package in which it was hidden was opened by thieves. The phone cameras and microphones would record the moment.

The device contained an accelerometer to detect motion.

When the parcel was jostled, the device would check the GPS signal to see if it had been moved from its spot.

If it had, then it would send a signal to activate the phones and start recording.

The glitter was in a cup that spun round on a motor when released as the box was opened.

The device was also engineered to squirt a tube of fart spray every 30 seconds. :lolol:

The video is well worth a watch. Capturing video of the culprits and their reactions...:D

https://youtu.be/xoxhDk-hwuo

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Was watching this earlier (the fun starts at around 5 minutes in). Excellent. What kind of thieving pikey filth nicks packages from someones doorstep ?
For the drivers, I'd be giving the CCTV to the police to trace the numberplates. Scum.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
It’s incredible just how many ‘normal’ people do this - thieves all of them, our justice system can’t cope with the sheer volumes involved but would find time to prosecute the homeowner for kicking five bells out of em. Depressing really. Seems everyone’s on the take, honesty really is a pastime seemingly.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
......our justice system can’t cope with the sheer volumes involved but would find time to prosecute the homeowner for kicking five bells out of em. Depressing really.

It really is. Because of the sheer frustration and anger of crimes not being investigated or prosecuted by the police many victims of crime are driven to acts of criminality out of sheer desperation to get the justice they deserve. The resources which should have been used to investigate or prosecute the original crime are then merely used to prosecute the crime committed by the original victim. It really pisses me off. Sometimes the police just don't look at the long picture.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
That was good.

A sizeable minority in society will always be light fingered, taking anything of value that doesn’t belong to them. Businesses suffer the theft of cash and other frauds by staff, their bizarre reasoning including “it’s a victimless crime”, “they’re making good profits so can afford it”, “I’m worth more than my pay, so it’s only fair”.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-46604625

A former Nasa engineer spent six months building a glitter bomb trap to trick thieves after some parcels were stolen from his doorstep.

The device, hidden in an Apple Homepod box, used four smartphones, a circuit board and 1lb (453g) of glitter.

Mark Rober, who is now a Youtuber, caught the original thieves on his home security camera.

He decided to take action after the police said they were unable to investigate the case.
He designed the elaborate bomb so that it would be activated when the package in which it was hidden was opened by thieves. The phone cameras and microphones would record the moment.

The device contained an accelerometer to detect motion.

When the parcel was jostled, the device would check the GPS signal to see if it had been moved from its spot.

If it had, then it would send a signal to activate the phones and start recording.

The glitter was in a cup that spun round on a motor when released as the box was opened.

The device was also engineered to squirt a tube of fart spray every 30 seconds. :lolol:

The video is well worth a watch. Capturing video of the culprits and their reactions...:D

https://youtu.be/xoxhDk-hwuo

Would a Omphine be ok...asking on behalf of another poster :whistle:

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
Would have been great if he had mixed the glitter with powered glue that melted with any friction heat.

I have a 4 yo daughter. Glitter is my never ending battle. Even worse at this time of year. Mix it with glue would be awesome. ****ing hate tea leaves.

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
the only improvement i could think of would be rather than a fart spray that can be chucked out of the window would be a vile of putrid stinking liquid to seep out of the package and soak into the actual fabric of the tea leafs car seat or clothes, make it last for a few days:sick::sick::sick:

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Now, all we have to do to get around this problem is teach the postie to ring the door bell.
As Bozza will testify, I went mental over Black Friday and had daily deliveries and most were just dumped outside despite us being in!!

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
It really is. Because of the sheer frustration and anger of crimes not being investigated or prosecuted by the police many victims of crime are driven to acts of criminality out of sheer desperation to get the justice they deserve. The resources which should have been used to investigate or prosecute the original crime are then merely used to prosecute the crime committed by the original victim. It really pisses me off. Sometimes the police just don't look at the long picture.

Yep, it's a shame our Police - like Health Service - isn't ring-fenced between parliaments so a long-term strategy can be achieved rather than becoming a political football. Meanwhile, crime pays...

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
I can't normally get through these Youtube videos but this was great - especially when, after 6 months of what looks like really hard work (though maybe not so much for a NASA boffin), he said his favourite part of the whole project was the Home Alone details on the delivery sticker!

I very rarely have Amazon deliveries but I'd buy one just for the fun of it all.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
That was good.

A sizeable minority in society will always be light fingered, taking anything of value that doesn’t belong to them. Businesses suffer the theft of cash and other frauds by staff, their bizarre reasoning including “it’s a victimless crime”, “they’re making good profits so can afford it”, “I’m worth more than my pay, so it’s only fair”.

*cough* Cut their goolies off. Cut off the goolies now.

:thumbsup:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Cool, but not sufficient punishment for those scumbags. Bluring out their faces is not acceptable.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here