Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Mourinho - SACKED

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I see that Blanc is favourite to be caretaker manager, with Zidane set to be permanent one at the end of the season.

Anyone know why Zidane can't take over now? He's not attached to any club, does he want some sort of break from football or something?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

If - like Mourinho - you only go for the money then you're doomed.

The contrast between Jose and the passionate trio of Klopp / Guardiola and Pochettino is stark. You've got to have a burning desire to succeed, but you also need a chairman that feels the same way and will back the manager. Poch won't get that at Man Utd.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
I see that Blanc is favourite to be caretaker manager, with Zidane set to be permanent one at the end of the season.

Anyone know why Zidane can't take over now? He's not attached to any club, does he want some sort of break from football or something?
Maybe some sort of clause from his last job. Or he's waiting to see how badly they finish up to up the price a bit :thumbsup:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
They're not even the biggest club in their city.
Depends how you measure it, and obviously you can easily argue that they are. Mind you, if I was Pochettino I think I'd stay at Spurs for the reasons you state, and anyway would Man Utd be that interested in a man who hasn't actually won anything here yet?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Depends how you measure it, and obviously you can easily argue that they are. Mind you, if I was Pochettino I think I'd stay at Spurs for the reasons you state, and anyway would Man Utd be that interested in a man who hasn't actually won anything here yet?

A 6 year contract for Moyes suggests that shouldn't be a problem.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Biggest club in the world? They're not even the biggest club in their city.

They're not the best club in their city but they're definitely the biggest. Silverware, history, support all of those outstrip City. Given the chronic lack of success since Fergie left and now a bit of time has passed I would argue it's a fantastic job to get, they're a distant 6th at the moment they will only go one way from here.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Really? You don't think they might ask "look what happened the last time we took a promising manager who hasn't actually won anything?"?

I was being flippant. I think Zidane or Deschamps will get the gig but they'll have one hell of a job on their hands to take that mediocre squad and turning it around within the normal timeframes that go with a club of that magnitude.

And in Guardiola, Klopp, Pochettino, Emery and Sarri there are 5 exceptional managers ahead of him, 4 with the lure of Champions League football to entice future signings.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I was being flippant. I think Zidane or Deschamps will get the gig but they'll have one hell of a job on their hands to take that mediocre squad and turning it around within the normal timeframes that go with a club of that magnitude.

And in Guardiola, Klopp, Pochettino, Emery and Sarri there are 5 exceptional managers ahead of him, 4 with the lure of Champions League football to entice future signings.

I wouldn't be surprised if Man Utd did the fashionable thing and went to Germany to hire someone who's had a modicum of success and "loves the game", by which I mean has an annoying smile and a propensity to get on his opponents tits with a bit of gamesmanship on the sidelines.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I wouldn't be surprised if Man Utd did the fashionable thing and went to Germany to hire someone who's had a modicum of success and "loves the game", by which I mean has an annoying smile and a propensity to get on his opponents tits with a bit of gamesmanship on the sidelines.

Christoph Von Hughton it is then.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
They're not the best club in their city but they're definitely the biggest. Silverware, history, support all of those outstrip City. Given the chronic lack of success since Fergie left and now a bit of time has passed I would argue it's a fantastic job to get, they're a distant 6th at the moment they will only go one way from here.

I'm not so naïve to think that United can't bounce back eventually, but in the short to medium term so much is stacked against Utd. City and Liverpool are light years ahead, and even Spurs have a higher points tally now than when they finished 2nd in 2016/17 and they're struggling to maintain a Champions League spot.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Agree with Pavilionaire. United are in for a Liverpool-style spell in the wilderness. The fans are hurting now, but it could get a lot worse before it gets better, that squad has weak links all over it.

Really can't see them winning league for at least another 5 years. But if I was them I would wipe today's smile off Pogba's face and bomb him out too. The bloke is toxic in that dressing room and has taken fans, manager and club for a very expensive ride.

Cozzy

Jul 26, 2018
Grimsby
Dont have any names to hand but the question is who with a current job is going to leave that job for United knowing they will be out of work again next summer .... answer no one will do that of the known top managers.

In that case they are looking for someone currently out of work and probably not a well known name who does not mind 'helping out' knowing its just temp and never going to be anything more ... who fits that scenario ? someone just in it for the money , doubt United would go for a mercenary ..

Can see maybe Giggs being offered it as part time with Welsh job , maybe a last gasp attempt from Mark Hughes to get some credit towards another job ...

Certainly going to be an interesting couple of days but I assume United already know who just need time to get everything in place

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Agree with Pavilionaire. United are in for a Liverpool-style spell in the wilderness. The fans are hurting now, but it could get a lot worse before it gets better, that squad has weak links all over it.

Really can't see them winning league for at least another 5 years. But if I was them I would wipe today's smile off Pogba's face and bomb him out too. The bloke is toxic in that dressing room and has taken fans, manager and club for a very expensive ride.

Agree with all of this, especially Pogba. That (now deleted) tweet of his was an absolute disgrace

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The Liverpool match laid it out for all to see. But for Alisson's blunder it could have been a 4 or 5-NIL hammering.

In the build-up on 5Live they were making a composite team and only De Gea made it in to the starting XI. Now I know that isn't everything - Tim Sherwood said something similar before Spurs got cuffed 4-2 by Arsenal - but at least Emery has some team spirit and momentum in that squad, they've turned the corner but even there the lack of quality in his squad is hurting him. The new Man Utd manager will experience the same problems.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Agree with all of this, especially Pogba. That (now deleted) tweet of his was an absolute disgrace

Absolutely spot on. Smug, self-important, spoilt player with a stinking attitude.... Make him play in the U23's for the rest of the season, then sell him. He clearly thinks he's way too special for the people who pay his massive wages. Tosser.

Glad we don't have anyone like him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here