Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] The man from uncle

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I collected those cards as well - think I had the full set.

And yes, everyone at primary school watched it, our must-see programme.

<sigh> I wonder if this anomalie was the start of my long road to being different and slightly out of kilter with all the other massively popular things:

Topo Gigio
David Cassidy
Gilligan's Island
Manchester United
Pogle's Wood
Paul McCartney and Wings
The Radio 1 Road Show

Sorry but I don't care how popular that shower was, you can shove them all where the sun don't shine :lolol:

And I'm afraid that TMFU can go with them. In my book.

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I've been to Geneva several times - I can assure you that it's far from glamorous

Same here. Concrete jungle, traffic jams and fumes.

I’m talking about a change in perceptions of the world from the age before cheap flights where many places had a glamorous aura from afar, to all of us being able to visit these places in the last 40 years.

(I knew some unpleasant wealthy snobs, who hated the arrival of newly monied oiks in their vacation haunts. I loved it.)

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I bloody loved that programme - top lads in the fight against THRUSH

My other top fave of that time was Thunderbirds ....

Exactly.

I'm a Stingray man, all the way.

marina.jpg

Diana Rigg (Avengers) was one of my customers! Absolutely lovely lady full of incredible stories about the 60's and 70's and I used to get hacked off when I had to leave. Full of life, still mischievous - and I'd love to have met her when she was young as she was a proper hottie!

She makes a cracking cuppa, too. :thumbsup:

What's not to like about someone of whom Wikipedia says

".............Michael Parkinson, who first interviewed Rigg in 1972, described her as the most desirable woman he ever met, who "radiated a lustrous beauty". A smoker from the age of 18, Rigg was still smoking 20 cigarettes a day in 2009. By December 2017, she had stopped smoking after serious illness led to heart surgery, a cardiac ablation, two months earlier. A devout Christian, she commented that: "My heart had stopped ticking during the procedure, so I was up there and the good Lord must have said, 'Send the old bag down again, I'm not having her yet!'"

Courtesy also of the same source of all accurate facts I was fascinated to learn that Guy Garvey from Elbow is her son in law.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Unfair

PS You should have listed Z Cars and Dixon of Dock Green

I literally watched one episode each of these. They are too dull to list, and have yet to meet a single person who liked eaither. Apart from my mum who had a crush on some Irish bloke from Z cars. In contrast it seemed like TMFO was being rammed down my throat, and that admitting to not likeing it would be a bit like admitting to not like football.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea

".............Michael Parkinson, who first interviewed Rigg in 1972, described her as the most desirable woman he ever met, who "radiated a lustrous beauty". A smoker from the age of 18, Rigg was still smoking 20 cigarettes a day in 2009. By December 2017, she had stopped smoking after serious illness led to heart surgery, a cardiac ablation, two months earlier. A devout Christian, she commented that: "My heart had stopped ticking during the procedure, so I was up there and the good Lord must have said, 'Send the old bag down again, I'm not having her yet!'"

Courtesy also of the same source of all accurate facts I was fascinated to learn that Guy Garvey from Elbow is her son in law.

Her daughter has inherited quite a bit lookswise

56f85b02-1e4c-11e7-b7d3-163f5a7f229c.jpg

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
<sigh> I wonder if this anomalie was the start of my long road to being different and slightly out of kilter with all the other massively popular things:

Topo Gigio
David Cassidy
Manchester United
Pogle's Wood
Paul McCartney and Wings
The Radio 1 Road Show

Sorry but I don't care how popular that shower was, you can shove them all where the sun don't shine :lolol:

And I'm afraid that TMFU can go with them. In my book.

At infant/junior school, and on a one off visit to the local youth club disco, I hated Mud, Slade, The Osmonds and The Sweet when all my peers seemed to love them. The same with Brotherhood of Man etc.

At age 9 a school friend introduced me to the obscure Autobahn album, plus I recall liking tracks by Sparks, early synth type theme tunes to TV progs, Jarre albums were also enjoyed.

Early signs of being an argumentive awkward sod.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I literally watched one episode each of these. They are too dull to list, and have yet to meet a single person who liked eaither.

Z Cars was very good - although it lost its way towards the end. I think you and I are slightly too young to appreciate the impact that Z Cars had on television. It may look soft and cosy now but it was revolutionary in the early 60s, seen as very hard-hitting with a more realistic view of police officers.

Dixon of Dock Green, on the other hand, was turgid rubbish, with the oldest copper in western Europe patrolling the streets.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Does it also mention an uncharatable review of one stage performance that required her to get her kit off?

"Built like a brick mausoleum with insufficient flying buttresses". Very funny and she mentioned it herself on Parky, so I vaguely recall.

I suspect the theatre reviewer was Brian Sewell or an acolyte.

She had a lovely laugh, and her daughter Rachel inherited it.

rachel.jpg

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I literally watched one episode each of these. They are too dull to list, and have yet to meet a single person who liked eaither. Apart from my mum who had a crush on some Irish bloke from Z cars. In contrast it seemed like TMFO was being rammed down my throat, and that admitting to not likeing it would be a bit like admitting to not like football.

:facepalm: Harry oh Harry shame on you!

I might have to put you on the banned list :whistle:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Few others to mention
Kojak
Cannon
Harry O
Rockford files
Charlies Angels
Hawaii Five O
That one that used to be on Friday Night lived in a caravan (Palace supporter?) with the foundations of a house next to it that he was supposed to be building but it never changed

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Z Cars was very good - although it lost its way towards the end. I think you and I are slightly too young to appreciate the impact that Z Cars had on television. It may look soft and cosy now but it was revolutionary in the early 60s, seen as very hard-hitting with a more realistic view of police officers.

Dixon of Dock Green, on the other hand, was turgid rubbish, with the oldest copper in western Europe patrolling the streets.

Fair enough. What we actually watched in the early 60s that captured my imagination (aside from actual kids telly) was the more glamorous American fare: Bonanza being standout. And later, Star Trek. The British 'drama' by contrast was rheumatic. I may be being very hard on Z cars though. But anyway, Everton have deprived me of any chance of a Z cars reconciliation, going forward. :lolol:

Oh and of course I should mention Land of the Giants. I had a massive crush... :love:

lotg.jpg

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Few others to mention
Kojak
Cannon
Harry O
Rockford files
Charlies Angels
Hawaii Five O
That one that used to be on Friday Night lived in a caravan (Palace supporter?) with the foundations of a house next to it that he was supposed to be building but it never changed

Petrocelli

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It'll be rude not too, what with it being the joint 2nd best TV theme tune EVER.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here