Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] The man from uncle

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Big fan of 60s TV. Danger man. The Saint. The Avengers. But even as a small child, I thought that TMFU stank to absolute high heaven. Is that fair, or am I being uncharatable to the charms of Ilya Kuryakin and that dreary other bloke???

Poll to follow (in your dreams).

Twats.jpg

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Diana Rigg (Avengers) was one of my customers! Absolutely lovely lady full of incredible stories about the 60's and 70's and I used to get hacked off when I had to leave. Full of life, still mischievous - and I'd love to have met her when she was young as she was a proper hottie!

She makes a cracking cuppa, too. :thumbsup:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Big fan of 60s TV. Danger man. The Saint. The Avengers. But even as a small child, I thought that TMFU stank to absolute high heaven. Is that fair, or am I being uncharatable to the charms of Ilya Kuryakin and that dreary other bloke???

Unfair. PS You should have listed Z Cars and Dixon of Dock Green
Loved them all, at the time - and Adam Adamant. Realise they'd all look pretty naff these days, and would of course be sneered at by PC youngsters (imagine the reactions on Gogglebox). To be fair, they would mostly be a long way from meeting today's ethical standards! The Saint's still regularly available on cable though...........

Let's just bring back Love thy Neighbour and enjoy all the paroxysms of apoplexy!

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
My era was the bloke on the right in something called 'Sapphire and Steel' if I remember correctly...

He was as dull as dishwater then, too.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
TMFU was the program to watch when I was in primary school.

It was on at 8pm on a Thursday, if memory serves me well. It was the main discussion point at school the next day.

I even bought the cards from the newsagent, which had a jigsaw on the back.

Illya Kuryakin was the man.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
I liked the lower budget British produced tv shows of that genre. My favourite is Man in a Suitcase. I was too young to see it at the time as it was on quite late but the title always intrigued me. I bought the box set a few years ago and binge watched them with my wife who quite fancies McGill (Richard Bradford). I must admit to a slight man crush myself. One of our favourite games while watching was prop spotting. The budget was so low that they used the same props in a lot of the episodes. So a table lamp or painting that appeared in a flat in London in one episode would appear in a flat in Paris or a villa in Portugal in other episodes. His stand in for fight scenes also looked nothing like him, the only concession to making any attempt to resemble him was to plonk a grey wig on the stand in's head, but he was often a good four inches taller and wearing slightly different clothes. The continuity was also quite questionable as car number plates would often change mid chase. They also often used to use the same actors to play different roles in different episodes. All these just added to the fun of watching it. Apart from those little anomolies the storylines weren't too bad.

Man in a Suitcase Set 2 DVD.jpg

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

It was on at 8pm on a Thursday, if memory serves me well. It was the main discussion point at school the next day.

I collected those cards as well - think I had the full set.

And yes, everyone at primary school watched it, our must-see programme.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Poll to follow (in your dreams).

View attachment 103072
" Open channel D "

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
The Persuaders for the theme music and The Champions for

View attachment 103077

Ran an Animal Sanctuary in West Chiltington until her death in 2014, would often see her wandering around Storrington in Barbour and Wellies, still a looker in her sixties. I never had the nerve to go over and tell her she was the first lady I got, ahem, excited about back in the early 1970's...:blush:

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Not Randall or Hopkirk.

1590b64f4d2ccb1e2d5971feb2140a79.jpg

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Ran an Animal Sanctuary in West Chiltington until her death in 2014, would often see her wandering around Storrington in Barbour and Wellies, still a looker in her sixties. I never had the nerve to go over and tell her she was the first lady I got, ahem, excited about back in the early 1970's...:blush:

Yep - she was married to Patrick Garland who ran the Festival Theatre.

Ahh - Sunday lunchtimes watching Sharon McCready...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Yes to all that. But deep down I just thought it was a mess. Lazy plots. Less convincing than Batman, and with shitter jokes. And Ilya Kuryakin lost all his coolness when Jill Ireland left him for Charles bloody Bronson. It took VR5 to bring it back.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
A bit younger, I loved the later repeated series in the 70’s:

The Man from Uncle
Man in a Suitcase
The Avengers (Rigg or Lumley)

Personal favourites were:
The Saint (Roger Moore and his stunning Volvo sports car)
Randall & Hopkirk
The Champions

I think of these as being on Sunday afternoons.

The Champions HQ was glamorous Geneva, which seemed a world away in the 70’s. These days it’s just an hour away for a few quid by Easyjet for the hoi polloi.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here