Sea salt
Black pepper

Simmer on low heat for as long as possible

That feels like overkill to me!

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
It’s not right. Carrots, celery, mushrooms, tomatoes but no sweet corn.
I also avoid wine in food too. Most people don’t know how to use alcohol properly in food so best to leave it.

Whether I know how to use it properly or not I shall do so if I wish.

There are no rules to what you can and can't put in food, only personal preferences.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Fry smoked pancetta cubes and celery and bay leaves in olive oil for a few minutes to render the fat on the pancetta, lower the heat and add 4 cloves garlic and some finely diced onion for about 10 minutes until they're soft and caramelised. I then add a pinch of nutmeg, the beef and a couple of tablespoons of Italian herb seasoning and cook until the meat is browned. Add tomato puree and cook for a minute, then add red wine reduce by 1/3. Next add a tin of chopped tomatoes, a dash of sherry vinegar and some mushrooms and allow it all to stew. People might find it weird not frying the mushrooms but I find if you add it at this point they release a lot of water which is mushroom flavoured rather than adding water from a tap.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Whether I know how to use it properly or not I shall do so if I wish.

There are no rules to what you can and can't put in food, only personal preferences.

The bitterness that results when alcohol is not used properly in cooking is very unpleasant but as you say, it’s personal preference and some people might like a plate of bitter tasting food. I can’t think who though.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Fry some onions and garlic
Add minced beef and brown
Throw in some mushrooms
Add some beef stock and reduce
Add 2 tins of tomatoes + tomato puree + mixed herbs + salt + pepper + paprika + pinch of sugar
Simmer for a while
Add a bit of red wine

:thumbsup:

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
The bitterness that results when alcohol is not used properly in cooking is very unpleasant but as you say, it’s personal preference and some people might like a plate of bitter tasting food. I can’t think who though.

Food that I cook using alcohol is never bitter. I guess I must be doing it right then, although I'm not sure why alcohol would make it bitter.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Food that I cook using alcohol is never bitter. I guess I must be doing it right then, although I'm not sure why alcohol would make it bitter.

Sounds like you are doing it right.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Tinned tomatoes
Garlic
Herbs
Red wine
Mince
Mushrooms
Done.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Yep. Add it once the meat has been browned and veg cooked through, then reduce. Then add the wine. Once the excess liquid has evaporated, add the tomatoes.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Secret ingredient? A couple of glugs of worcestershire sauce.
I don't wish to upset you young man, but I don't think worcestershire sauce is a secret in this country.

Southcoast Corsair

Sep 12, 2012
lost at sea
Onions
Garlic
Beef mince
Lardons
Beef stock
Carrot
Celery
Chopped tomatoes
Chopped sun-dried tomatoes
Chopped red and green peppers
Chopped chestnut mushrooms and few porcini
Bit of chilli (powdered)
Dash of red wine
Oregano
Basil
Smoked paprika
Sea salt
Black pepper

Simmer on low heat for as long as possible

This is pretty much the standard recipe i put on the table for the old sea wife. With a dash of wine increased to a healthy glass then reduced. Just to be pointlessly chefy the mince is cooked separately with tones of olive oil, left to rest then added last when everything is bubbling slow and easy. Cook for ever.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Olive Oil
Grated Carrots and Corgettes
NO onions. You don't have onions and garlic. It's one or the other.
Garlic
Tomato
Tomato puree or Ketchup. As long as it's sweet
Red wine
Pesto
Good stock
Blitz it all up whilst the mince cooks separately with some milk.
Add it all together.
Stuff your face.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Spag Bol serves 6/8 written down for daughter at Uni.

3 packs of mince 400gm
2 tins of chopped tomatoes
I large carton of Passata (Sieved tomatoes)
3 onions
3/4 cloves of garlic
One carrot
One/ two Romano red pepper
Dried herbs (mixed)
3 Bay leaves
Lea & Perrins Worcester sauce
One beef stock cube/pod (Oxo or Knorr)
Oil

Can be cooked on top of the oven but it's easier if cooked in the oven 170c for 1hour and fifteen minutes.
If cooking on top of the oven bring to boil then simmer on a low heat. Stir every now and then to stop it sticking ( not needed if cooked in oven).

Process
Dice vegetables including garlic into small pieces or put in a food processor and blitz.
In large pot heat oil and and vegetables and stir for a few minutes to cook.

In a separate frying pan brown the mince then add to pot.

Then add the tomatoes, passata, herbs, 6/7 shakes of Lea & Perrins, beef stock) then to the pot. Stir together bring to boil and simmer.

Cook for 1hr 15 minutes in oven at 170c

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Good thread though, I reckon most people have their own version of this. Bolognese is the first thing I really learned how to cook and I've been tweaking my mum's recipe for the last 20 years, what I make now is nothing like the original.

I also don't see anything wrong with adding different ingredients like chili or peppers. At the end of the day it's a mince stew, you could probably throw in half the kitchen and it'll taste ok as long as the basics are right

Last edited:

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Start with onions, mince, garlic, tomatoes, oregano, salt & pepper then just enjoy yourself, add whatever makes it great :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here