Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Best recipe bolognese sauce?

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
A little cubed pancetta. ( Bacon is for sandwiches ) gently fried with the onions,

must have garlic, oregano, paprika, black pepper, good lean beef mince and stock, some red wine. . . . . good quality Italian chopped tomatoes . . .added late on to keep the flavour of them fresh within a rich meaty sauce.

and top it all with the finest parmesan in the world from here . . . . https://www.hombre.it/en

its a very simple dish but really requires good quality ingredients, like most Italian food, to make it special.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Contents

400-500g low fat mince
250 g field mushrooms - sliced
dried porcini mushrooms, soaked in boiling water for 20 minutes
1 large onion - finely chopped
2-3 large garlic cloves, crushed
1 400 g tin of tinned tomatoes
4 medium sized tomatoes - sliced
tomato concentrate or passata, not too much
olive oil
butter - 30g
dried oregano, thyme, basil and rosemary - according to taste
300 g good quality beef stock
1 glass red wine
salt and black pepper according to taste

Cook the chopped onions in butter on a medium heat until translucent - set aside
Cook the mushrooms, also in butter - add good pince of dried tarragon - until they have shrunk and soaked up all the juice/butter - add the porcini mushrooms but retain the juice seperately for adding top the dish later on - set aside with the onions
Cook the tomatoes, also in butter - add good pince of dried basil and oregeno - set aside when almost a paste
Add the crushed garlic, 1 tablespoon of olive oil and a good pinch of thyme and rosemary to the mince and fry on a medium to high heat for apx 5 minutes turning constantly to prevent browning/burning
When the meat is cooked return the onions, mushrooms and tomatoes to the pan and mix well with the meat
Add the tomatoe paste/passata, the red wine, the residual juice from the porcini mushrooms and the beef stock to the meat mix and cook on a medium to high heat until about half the juice as been absorbed
Keep on a lower heat simmering while you cook the pasta
Either add the pasta to the pan when cooking a stir thoroughly with the meat mixture or keep seperate and serve the meat on top of the pasta
Serve with lashings of grated parmesan cheese, olive oil and salt and ppepper to taste.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Can't be arsed to read the whole thread ..... but I am team chicken livers (I assume that this has been flagged up).

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Masterchefs of NSC, What would you say is the best Recipe to make a homemade Bolognese sauce?

Much Arguing going on in the office, if a sauce should contain bacon in some instances and chilli in another.

What is your personal favourite?

Well I start with bacon and cinammon sauteed in olive oil, then brown the beef and onions, add garlic, then two tins of tomatoes, half tin or so of water, carrots, celery (if I have any), dried thyme, dried oregano, dried sage (very important, the sage), bay leaf, tomato puree, and salt and pepper to taste.

Bring to boil, simmer for an hour and a half. Add mushrooms half an hour before the end if you feel like them.

Done. And bloody good it is too. Try it :thumbsup:

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
...evidently not...

Handful of 1) fatty lardons, 2) celery, 3) onions, 4) random tired veg trimmings....20 mins,
slosh of white port, dollop of butter, chicken livers, chicken hearts, half a kilo of cheap fatty mince and some herbs.
Few garlic cloves, prepared in some way, if you can be arsed.
Have a beer and a cigarette.
Stir,
Have another cigarette.
Stir.
Half a bottle of shit wine red wine.
Stir , turn the heat down.

**** off to the pub for a pint.

Return, stir, **** off back to the pub

When there's not enough shit red wine to keep it loose, put a pint of good quality meat stock in and give it a stir ... and **** off to the pub for a pint and some cigarettes.

Finally, a tea cup of milk. Give it a stir.

Order a pizza in

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
.....there's some tomatoes in there somewhere, probably a tin early doors, maybe some fresh ones later.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
imo this is total bollocks, it's one of those awful rules that make no sense other than for italians to fell smug. Onion and garlic bring different flavours which are complimentary

Im sorry its bollocks.

They cancel each other out so you end up with neither being as punchy as it would be.

I genuinely dont mind if you want to break "the rules".

:lolol:

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
Im sorry its bollocks.

They cancel each other out so you end up with neither being as punchy as it would be.

I genuinely dont mind if you want to break "the rules".

:lolol:

More bollocks.

Read ‘Garlic and other Alliums: the lore and the Science’ by Eric Block.

Im all up for stuffing the rules, but only where science back that view up.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Can't be arsed to read the whole thread ..... but I am team chicken livers (I assume that this has been flagged up).

I made a very nice chicken liver ragu last week.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Ingredients
2 tbsp olive oil or sun-dried tomato oil from the jar
6 rashers of smoked streaky bacon, chopped
2 large onions, chopped
3 garlic cloves, crushed
1kg/2¼lb lean minced beef
2 large glasses of red wine
2x400g cans chopped tomatoes