Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Best recipe bolognese sauce?

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
It’s not right. Carrots, celery, mushrooms, tomatoes but no sweet corn.
I also avoid wine in food too. Most people don’t know how to use alcohol properly in food so best to leave it.

Surely you just pour some in?

:)

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
imo this is total bollocks, it's one of those awful rules that make no sense other than for italians to fell smug. Onion and garlic bring different flavours which are complimentary
This, onions helps break down other ingredients and intensify the flavour, and if you’re cooking bolognese without garlic it’ll be shit.
Also, if you’re using dried herbs add them to pan when frying onions etc, if using fresh add them at the end.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Milk is essential - the acidity makes the meat tender and the overall dish becomes more creamy. I would ignore the other ingredients on anyone's recipe if it doesn't have milk!

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Fry some onions and garlic
Add minced beef and brown

Well that doesn't work. You cannot brown beef if you've already put the onions and garlic, I assume you're just "greying" it?

Annoys the hell out of me when TV chefs tell you to brown the meat then go and do the above.

Last edited:

Bean

Feb 13, 2010
Hove
Mushrooms, Worcestershire Sauce and red wine are key in a bolognese.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
I've always chucked in a teaspoon of marmite. Am I the only one that does this?

Only done a quick search through the thread and immediately worried I am a bit weird

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
It MUST have anchovies in the sauce.

Oh and as a seasoned visitor to Bologna (well I love the place and have been there twice) it is Ragout Sauce and not Bolognese Sauce....

Love the stuff me, especially with fresh egg tagliatelle , all washed down with a good Barolo!

TNBA

TTF

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
It MUST have anchovies in the sauce.

Oh and as a seasoned visitor to Bologna (well I love the place and have been there twice) it is Ragout Sauce and not Bolognese Sauce....

Love the stuff me, especially with fresh egg tagliatelle , all washed down with a good Barolo!

TNBA

TTF

If you want to get technical it's ragu alla bolognese

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here