Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] BTP appealing for witnesses of Anti-Semitic chanting

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Hang on, are you saying that reporting anti-semitic behaviour is extremist?

You’ve gone off on a trail I can’t fathom. Completely wrong end of stick and I can’t be arsed to correct or explain other than to say you’re completely off track with your assertions

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Stop being so dramatic, I am totally sane in every way. I find the chants sick and derogatory, they don't disturb me, my father being rushed to hospital yesterday, after being home for 4 days after being in hospital for 5 weeks disturbs me.

Nonsense.

Yes, that was disturbing for you.

But kind, very civilised people find racist/homophobic chants from thugs sickening. There are also many Jewish people in the city, many of whom follow the Albion. Brighton have a lot of good people, I’d say a bit further in evolutionary development than some pretty vile people out there.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Stop being so dramatic, I am totally sane in every way. I find the chants sick and derogatory, they don't disturb me, my father being rushed to hospital yesterday, after being home for 4 days after being in hospital for 5 weeks disturbs me.

I sympathise having lost my father 20 years ago. I would find it distressing rather than disturbing.

I think we are thinking about different words.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Taxing your knowledge, could the defendent insist on trial by jury?

No, that applies to Either Way offences, and singing a racist chant would come under Section 5. There are other sections of the POA which would be Either Way offences.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
No, how dramatic !!!!

Because its an easy conviction. No police work needed !!!!!

I would imagine the incident would be disturbing if there was a threat of a full on brawl.

N17

Jun 21, 2011
An interesting article, but I don't agree with what he's saying.

Language is all about context, in this context the word has evolved over time and I'm pretty sure that most Chelsea fans aren't singing about hating Jews when they sing their songs, they're singing about hating Tottenham. Yid army = Tottenham. I know there are some dodgy elements in their support, but I refuse to believe that every little scrote on the train singing about hating yids truly understands the historical context. Unfortunately for someone they're going to have to be made an example of to try an stamp it out.

I think if Spurs were rally serious about helping they would stop their fans from using the word as well. It's disingenuous to try and claim that when Chelsea fans use the word it applies to all Jews but when non-Jewish Tottenham fans sing it, it only applies to Tottenham. If you want to ban a word from use in any context then it has to apply across the board and that applies to Spurs fans as well.

True but the CFC classics 'id rather be a P*** than a Jew' and Spurs are on their way to Auschwitz, Hitler's gonna do it again' don't leave much room for ambiguity.

I think it is more these types of songs rather than them merely using the word Yid which is at question here.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
An interesting article, but I don't agree with what he's saying.

Language is all about context, in this context the word has evolved over time and I'm pretty sure that most Chelsea fans aren't singing about hating Jews when they sing their songs, they're singing about hating Tottenham. Yid army = Tottenham. I know there are some dodgy elements in their support, but I refuse to believe that every little scrote on the train singing about hating yids truly understands the historical context. Unfortunately for someone they're going to have to be made an example of to try an stamp it out.

I think if Spurs were rally serious about helping they would stop their fans from using the word as well. It's disingenuous to try and claim that when Chelsea fans use the word it applies to all Jews but when non-Jewish Tottenham fans sing it, it only applies to Tottenham. If you want to ban a word from use in any context then it has to apply across the board and that applies to Spurs fans as well.

I do agree- and I think that sometimes the whole 'racist' thing is sweeping in stuff that is more inappropriate in the modern age than actually racist. The word is becoming diluted. Context is everything here.

The reports coming out refer to 'vile anti-Jewish' songs. Obviously this needs to be addressed as it cannot be normalised.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
True but the CFC classics 'id rather be a P*** than a Jew' and Spurs are on their way to Auschwitz, Hitler's gonna do it again' don't leave much room for ambiguity.

I think it is more these types of songs rather than them merely using the word Yid which is at question here.

This. Using an abbreviation of the noun Yiddish, is world’s away from laughing about a modern racial genocide.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath

If it is those songs then whoever is singing it deserves their day out to court!

Some of the negative press I've read recently though is for the Moratta song which only has the yid reference.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
This is an area greyer than John Major's wardrobe, and one there isn't really a rational answer for.

If you are 'that person' (black, Jewish etc) then it's perfectly okay to say the word N*gger or Yid. However, utter outrage when anyone else says it.

If it's an outrageous word which nobody should say - and the Police get involved if you do, then don't bloody say it yourself. Surely? :shrug:

Watch me get flamed and get called stupid / narrow minded and missing the point for this, but that's my opinion.

I agree and also think it causes further divide of races because it is basicaaly saying you can only use this word if you are a certain colour and absolutely not if you're another colour.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here