Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Sports Personality Of The Year 2018

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Bradley Wiggins, lance Armstrong.. Sorry I am a bit suspicious who does well in this sport, and seriously who goes out of their way to watch a few hours of a stage at the tour de France?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Bradley Wiggins, lance Armstrong.. Sorry I am a bit suspicious who does well in this sport, and seriously who goes out of their way to watch a few hours of a stage at the tour de France?

Just a guess but cycling fans?

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Memories of the evening:

1. George Ezra channeling Gareth Southgate in a waistcoat / tie combo. His singing was unforgettable...in one sense at least.
2. An all male top 3 despite the BBC's best efforts to change the 9th-12th places of the 4 women in 2017 by selecting 2 women out of 6.
3 The grating overuse of the acronym 'SPOTY' by Lineker and Balding. Seeing as they ran over yet again, this time saving didn't work.
4. 'It's Coming Home' has little to do with bhangra dancing, steel drums or gospel choirs. It's a football song, not an paean to diversity.
5. Billie and Billy, namely Jean-King and Monger. They've both probably ended up with a lot more mates now.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Memories of the evening:

1. George Ezra channeling Gareth Southgate in a waistcoat / tie combo. His singing was unforgettable...in one sense at least.
2. An all male top 3 despite the BBC's best efforts to change the 9th-12th places of the 4 women in 2017 by selecting 2 women out of 6.
3 The grating overuse of the acronym 'SPOTY' by Lineker and Balding. Seeing as they ran over yet again, this time saving didn't work.
4. 'It's Coming Home' has little to do with bhangra dancing, steel drums or gospel choirs. It's a football song, not an paean to diversity.
5. Billie and Billy, namely Jean-King and Monger. They've both probably ended up with a lot more mates now.
Not sure BBC have ever picked the finalists. It used to be journalists, now it's an independent panel.

Sent from my BTV-DL09 using Tapatalk

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Eh, who gives a shit, not bothered to even see who won, but I’m guessing by the top post on this page a fecking cyclists, hence...

Who gives a shit...

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
"The Greatest Sporting Moment of the Year"

- England winning gold in...........Netball.

tenor.gif

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Apart from that.....

I thought it was a bit rubbish
I've haven't watched it seriously since the 80s. Triggered by this I flicked over and noted that it has morphed into a post brexit pound shop Olympic ceremony with a touch of Eurovision.

Sent from my BTV-DL09 using Tapatalk

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Winning a Tour de France deserves this accolade, very worthy winner

Ironic then that ALL of the main cyclists - Cavendish, Wiggins, Thomas - have won SPOTY but NOT the bloke Froome who has won the TdF an incredible 4 times.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Not sure BBC have ever picked the finalists. It used to be journalists, now it's an independent panel.

Yes, you're right. One wonders why the shortlist was halved from 12 to 6 though.

In a year of Winter Olympics, Commonwealth Games , FIFA World Cup and Ryder Cup as well as the usual events, it seems strange.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
There's point getting worked up about this show. The starting point is Andy Murray - if he has a good year he wins. If he doesn't a cyclist wins. Unless that cyclist was born in Kenya. In which case Lewis Hamilton wins.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
SPOTY was dull even when the Beeb had lots of sports on the tellybox. Now they are are down to the bare bones, its just painful to watch - worse than World of Sport on ITV desperately pretending the wrestling wasn't fixed in the day.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Ironic then that ALL of the main cyclists - Cavendish, Wiggins, Thomas - have won SPOTY but NOT the bloke Froome who has won the TdF an incredible 4 times.

There's point getting worked up about this show. The starting point is Andy Murray - if he has a good year he wins. If he doesn't a cyclist wins. Unless that cyclist was born in Kenya. In which case Lewis Hamilton wins.

:lolol: Funny, but also true.

How has Froome, let us not just take the TdF an incredible 4 times, he's also held La Vuelta, Giro and Tdf at the same time! It is truely breathtaking he hasn't won it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here