Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Today’s ref Stuart Attwell

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
You cant be off side in your own half he was offside in THEIR half and that is where the free kick should have taken place.

Being in an offside position when the ball is played isn't an offence. Interferring with the game or your opponents is the offence (when coming from an offside position when the ball is played). The offence occurs when he plays the ball (having come from an illegal position) (which he did in our half).

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The linesman should have spoken up about that elbow. It happened right in front of him.
Chelsea got double the number of free kicks we did.
And how do you get a free kick taken for offside in your own half? Atteell watched Chelsea pick up the ball and throw it 10 yards over the halfway line.

Letting that go was pitiful.

Should have been a red late on for the tug on (Andone?) who was free to run on goal. He probably thought it wasn't a 'scoring opportunity' having watched Murray, earlier, treading on the ball when given a run on goal :facepalm:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
You cant be off side in your own half he was offside in THEIR half and that is where the free kick should have taken place.

This.

What ARE people on about here???

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Acker79;8702849[B said:
]I think we should be clear that we lost this game because Chelsea were better than us. [/B]The ref could have been completely impartial, made the correct decision on all of his calls we would still have lost.

Having said that, I, someone who often defends the ref in threads like this, thought he was one-sided. Every throw, every free kick he made us take it from the exact position that the offence occurred. Not once did he do that with Chelsea. There was a moment when Bruno was warming up at pitchside and caught the ball at the exact place it went out, they then took the throw from four or five yards further upfield, offsides were never taken anywhere near inline with where the linesman is pointing (yes free kicks are taken from where the offence is, and Murray collected the ball in our half, but not as deep as where it was taken). It seemed to get worse the more we pointed it out to him. Fouls let go against us followed by lesser fouls given against us moments later. He didn't have a great game, and Chelsea seemed to benefit from it.

Not sure that's in dispure. OP point was the ref was a bit shit. Which he was.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Not sure that's in dispure. OP point was the ref was a bit shit. Which he was.

Not in dispute, but not openly stated, either, so it would only be a matter of time before someone comes along with 'oh, of course, we lost so the ref must have been bad. Football fans are so predictable...' sort of comment. I felt someone needed to put it out there.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Not in dispute, but not openly stated, either, so it would only be a matter of time before someone comes along with 'oh, of course, we lost so the ref must have been bad. Football fans are so predictable...' sort of comment. I felt someone needed to put it out there.

And thank you for not mocking my typo :bowdown:

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
This.

What ARE people on about here???

The law changed a couple of years ago. It used to be that the free kick was given where the offside player was when his teammate played the ball and so as it was impossible to be in an offside position in your own half then the FK was always in the opponents' half. The law changed so that the FK is now given where the offense happens so, for example, when a player in offside position comes back into his own half to challenge for the ball the offence happens when he challenges and so the FK is given at that point which can be in his own half.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
tumblr_n6t84oWdrE1s9rrcgo2_250.gif

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
The law changed a couple of years ago. It used to be that the free kick was given where the offside player was when his teammate played the ball and so as it was impossible to be in an offside position in your own half then the FK was always in the opponents' half. The law changed so that the FK is now given where the offense happens so, for example, when a player in offside position comes back into his own half to challenge for the ball the offence happens when he challenges and so the FK is given at that point which can be in his own half.

So you can now be offside in your own half now that has to be the most retarded rule and counter to the reasoning behind offside in the first place. We had a chelsea player standing in front of Ryan in an offside position right in front of him right in front of the six yard box and he wasnt considered active for the first goal.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

The free-kick is taken from where the offence takes place. The offence took place when Murray headed the ball, which was well inside our half, having come from an offside position.

As such, the position of the taking of the free-kick was perfectly correct.

(Credit to my learned friend [MENTION=13022]Brighton4Cambridge3[/MENTION], a qualified ref who sits behind me, for pointing it out at the time)

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
The free-kick is taken from where the offence takes place. The offence took place when Murray headed the ball, which was well inside our half, having come from an offside position.

(Credit to my learned friend [MENTION=13022]Brighton4Cambridge3[/MENTION], a qualified ref who sits behind me, for pointing it out at the time)

but the lino was flagging in their half ?

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton

Yes I stand corrected as above but you can be on side standing in front of our goalkeeper on the edge of the six yard box. Its a bullshit rule and effectively makes it so you are offside in your own half which is only something an idiot can dream up and qualified referees should be questioning the reason why this is now the case.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Many thanks. I never knew that :thumbsup:

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
There used to be a sense that the home team got the decisions because the referee was influenced / intimidated by the crowd.

Now in the days of celebrity managers and untold millions for every league place, let alone champions league qualification, the referees seem to be more influenced by the stardom of the players and intimidated by the prospect of very public post match criticism by club officials

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
There used to be a sense that the home team got the decisions because the referee was influenced / intimidated by the crowd.

Now in the days of celebrity managers and untold millions for every league place, let alone champions league qualification, the referees seem to be more influenced by the stardom of the players and intimidated by the prospect of very public post match criticism by club officials

Some refs more than others, happily chatting and smiling with world stars of the game.

Because The Complete And Utter Shyster doesn’t do happy personality, that’s the one thing he can’t be accused of.

Last edited:

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent

New one for me too. Cheers

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent

He was in awe of Hazard, Luiz etc. If Fabregas had come he would have pissed himself with excitement !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here