Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Today’s ref Stuart Attwell

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Anyone see the east stand lino’s performance at corners? What was that all about?

Poised over the ball, he was clicking his fingers as if he was counting in some big band jazz routine: a one, a two, a one, two, three, four. Go Solly go. Bizarre.

Yeah he was really odd at corners and was also doing some odd movement like he was milking a cow with his hand and squeezing/clenching it. He took a lot of abuse from the family stand* over Alonso's elbow to Knocky.

*me

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
In 47 years of watching football, I have never seen the free kick given for an offside taken in our own half. It is an UTTER nonsense.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Offside_(association_football)
Offside is one of the laws of association football, codified in Law 11 of the Laws of the Game. The law states that a player is in an offside position if any of their body parts, except the hands and arms, are in the opponents' half of the pitch, and closer to the opponents' goal line than both the ball and the second-last opponent (the last opponent is usually, but not necessarily, the goalkeeper).[1]

No one, including [MENTION=2743]Mellor 3 Ward 4[/MENTION] is disputing that. We all know that you can only be offside in your opponent's half of the pitch.

The point of contention is where the resulting free-kick is taken from.

Like many on here, I was also screaming that Chelsea taking the free-kick in our half was wrong and, frankly, ridiculous because "you can't be offside in your own half". Then the qualified ref who sits behind me explained that the rule had changed, in that the free-kick is taken at the point the player became active and played the ball. So, Murray was in an offside position in the Chelsea half, but only became active when he headed the ball, by which point he'd returned to our half. As such, that is where the free-kick was correctly taken from.

It's something that doesn't happen very often, which is why so many of us didn't know about it.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Get over it ... The Ref and Lino does a job where decisions are taken immediately. With hindsight and TV slow motion replays they are bound to be seen to get some wrong. We get some decisions they get some, always has and always will be the same.
And I bet Dermot Gallagher will rip them to shreds on Ref Watch this morning!

Yes, you're right, I'm dreaming!

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
He wasn't in our half own half - he was in the opposition half when the ball was played. He was in our half when he received the ball, from where the free kick can be taken.

You need to 'brush up fella'.

Oh good God, where have I said he was in our half?

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Get over it ... The Ref and Lino does a job where decisions are taken immediately. With hindsight and TV slow motion replays they are bound to be seen to get some wrong. We get some decisions they get some, always has and always will be the same.

Elbow in the face needs a replay 5 yards from the lino?

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Get over it ... The Ref and Lino does a job where decisions are taken immediately. With hindsight and TV slow motion replays they are bound to be seen to get some wrong. We get no decisions they get them all, always has and always will be the same.

Corrected for you to explain the valid complaints people have made about yesterday and about PL referees' general star-struck approach to any game involving top six opposition.

Summed up for me a few years back in our Carling Cup game against Liverpool, when it was said that Michael Oliver spent the whole game addressing our players by the numbers on their back whilst using the Liverpool players' first names and nicknames.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
In 47 years of watching football, I have never seen the free kick given for an offside taken in our own half. It is an UTTER nonsense.

Attention seeker. Once upon a time they had tape instead of a crossbar. Once upon a time you didn't have substitutes. Things move on.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP

I tend to agree, despite the above trolling... never seen it before, and to be fair neither had 28,000 Brighton fans at the time of the free kick.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

It is not it is the new offside rule brought in this year. If as happened a player moves from an offside position the offence is committed when he plays the ball so as in this case GM played it in our half after being in an offside position so it was a correct decision. A player still cannot be offside in his own half only after moving from an offside position in the opponents half. or if every Chelsea player bar the keeper had been on the edge of our box and GM in the centre circle in our half he still wouldn't be offside

Last edited:

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
It is not it is the new offside rule brought in this year. If as happened a player moves from an offside position the offence is committed when he plays the ball so as in this case GM played it in our half after being in an offside position so it was a correct decision.

That is fine BG, I think that has already been covered. But for those of us that don't read up the laws of football - all of us - then we see it differently. At the time yesterday, 28k wondered wtf was going on. Me, on my live stream was the same. So, Attwell got one decision correct, big deal. Alonso was offside for their first goal, why wasn't it flagged?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
And I bet Dermot Gallagher will rip them to shreds on Ref Watch this morning!

Yes, you're right, I'm dreaming!
Yep, I was right - Dermot 'the-ref-is-always-perfect' Gallagher cleared Attwell of everything. March didn't have the ball when he was pulled down, 'might' not have got it and 'might' not have scored, so not a red.......Knocky wasn't sufficiently in an attacking position to warrant a yellow card for pulling him down........

Sigh..............

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
Yep, I was right - Dermot 'the-ref-is-always-perfect' Gallagher cleared Attwell of everything. March didn't have the ball when he was pulled down, 'might' not have got it and 'might' not have scored, so not a red.......Knocky wasn't sufficiently in an attacking position to warrant a yellow card for pulling him down........

Sigh..............

Did they mention the offside for the first goal?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Yep, I was right - Dermot 'the-ref-is-always-perfect' Gallagher cleared Attwell of everything. March didn't have the ball when he was pulled down, 'might' not have got it and 'might' not have scored, so not a red
Are you paraphrasing, or did he really say 'might not have scored'? Obviously he might not have. It's a goal scoring opportunity, not actually a goal.

Knocky wasn't sufficiently in an attacking position to warrant a yellow card for pulling him down........
Was he just pulled a bit, and not hit at all then?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Are you paraphrasing, or did he really say 'might not have scored'? Obviously he might not have. It's a goal scoring opportunity, not actually a goal.
Paraphrasing, slightly wrongly, sorry - went back to check - 'would he (March) have gained possession of the ball, and that's the grey area....... He has to be positive........'

Mind you, unless he tripped over his own shoelaces or something, I can't see how March could not have got that ball!
Was he just pulled a bit, and not hit at all then?
The elbow in the face was not discussed, just the pull back in our penalty area.

Last edited:

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Knocky wasn't sufficiently in an attacking position to warrant a yellow card for pulling him down........

Was that when Knocky was pulled back in our box mid way through the second half??

If so is that the law? A cynical foul is only a booking when in an attacking position??

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here