Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Andone and Bissouma

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Tremendous to see Andone get right in the face of Sideshow David Luiz as soon as he came on. Up til then he'd been given unlimited space and time on the ball, like he was in a particularly soft training session or something.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
Funny how we see things differently. Agree re Bissouma and Andone but Propper is quality on the ball most of the time. Cannot agree that he had anything but a good game today.

He had a great game especially considering the midfield he was up against. That ball to Gross for the breakaway to the goal was a perfect example. I want to see more of him and Bissouma who is an absolute talent and a joy to watch sorry Stephens.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Have to say think we looked better in last 3 games without Stephens... much more fluid going forward. The first substitution should have been at halftime and should have been Gross. He was so far off the pace.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I don't think the stats back that up. I don't have the figures to hand but there's a chapter in Soccernomics about why short corners make sense.

Do you know whether it counts knock downs and uncleared corners? We’ve scored a few goals from corners this year, so they seem more successful for us than short corners.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Do you know whether it counts knock downs and uncleared corners? We’ve scored a few goals from corners this year, so they seem more successful for us than short corners.

To be honest I really don't remember. Read the book years ago. Recommended.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I was very pleased with our performance second half. Great subs who made an instant impact. We've come a long way and have built a fabulous team on a tight budget by Premier league standards.

We had Chelsea rattled a bit in the second half. Keeper time wasting and there players staying down. I'm not disappointment at all.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Short corners NEVER work. Seem to recall spending much of my formative years at Withdean SCREAMING at Charlie Oatway to furk right off, every time he trotted over to receive one, under the misapprehension that he was doing something clever or useful.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
I don't think the stats back that up. I don't have the figures to hand but there's a chapter in Soccernomics about why short corners make sense.

Short corners make sense to drag another defender out to cover the possibility of one. If you never take one then they can have an extra defender in the box. Perfect example of this is the recent Bruno to March short corner goal where the defence was too slow to cover March. They are very situational and if you do them too much their effectiveness is minimal. In the last couple of minutes of a game when all of your team is wanting a last decent corner and the player you play it to isnt even ready for it and just plays it straight back to you, it is not the time to do it.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Thought Stephens was awful today. Very very surprised he walked straight back into the starting 11. Personally would have started Bissouma

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Short corners NEVER work. Seem to recall spending much of my formative years at Withdean SCREAMING at Charlie Oatway to furk right off, every time he trotted over to receive one, under the misapprehension that he was doing something clever or useful.

Did we not score from a quickly taken short corner (Bruno short to Solly, who then crossed for Duffy to score) against 'Uddersfield a few weeks ago?

I agree with you in general, but never is a bit strong.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Get rid of Stephens. Slow and gives away very critical free kicks at the edge of the box constantly. And cannot create a thing.

Bissouma / kayal much more energy.

Likewise andone for Murray.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stephens had a poor game, but we know he can play better than that, so any calls to get rid are nonsense.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
That kind of forward drive is exactly what we are waiting for and the next step for this team. I think Chris knows this and is bedding them slowly, but it is very exciting.

Together with Stephens, excellent on his return, Bernardo - who looks so confident, and March who is growing game by game, thats a huge amount of energy in the squad., Plus Knocky and Jose who will always do nothing but run at them. I like it. Stick Propper on the bench - he's has just become a short-backwards and sideways passer who offers nothing when we don't have the ball, and Glenn, well, its a toughie

This.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Did we not score from a quickly taken short corner (Bruno short to Solly, who then crossed for Duffy to score) against 'Uddersfield?

I agree with you in general, but never is a bit strong.

Yes we did, but I belive Mr Hark was enjoying sunshine when that game was played.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Its alright, I just assume that no-one bothers watching what our players do when we don't have the ball.

Somewhat arrogant thinking, just maybe you are wrong and others might be right? Then again you may be right, all about opinions.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I was very pleased with our performance second half. Great subs who made an instant impact. We've come a long way and have built a fabulous team on a tight budget by Premier league standards.

We had Chelsea rattled a bit in the second half. Keeper time wasting and there players staying down. I'm not disappointment at all.

And also this. Completely agree. :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here