PREMIER LEAGUE

Venue: The American Express Community Stadium
Date: Sunday 16th December 2018
Kick-off: 13:30 GMT
Referee: Stuart Attwell
Assistants: Constantine Hatzidakis, Andrew Garratt
Fourth official: Kevin Friend

TEAM NEWS

Brighton striker Glenn Murray has fully recovered from the shoulder injury which restricted him to a substitute appearance last weekend.

Alireza Jahanbakhsh is back in contention and Jose Izquierdo's knee problem will be assessed, but Shane Duffy is still suspended.

Eden Hazard, Cesar Azpilicueta and N'Golo Kante were rested in the Europa League and should return for Chelsea.

Alvaro Morata is a doubt with a knee injury and Mateo Kovacic remains out.

MOTD COMMENTATOR'S NOTES

Jonathan Pearce: If Chelsea are to convince the doubters, they need to win this as comfortably as they did last season: a 4-0 cruise. Willian and Hazard were brilliant that day. Their recent inconsistency has personified the team's patchy form.

Will it be the Chelsea who were dreadful at Spurs? Or the team so good against Manchester City? The capable first-half side at Wolves or the shambolic second-half outfit there?

On the back of six points from their last nine, Brighton have a free hit. There's no pressure.

If they start on the front foot they can expose the visitors, especially in the air. That's why Maurizio Sarri must start Olivier Giroud. His aerial power in both boxes could be key.

WHAT THE MANAGERS SAY

Chris Hughton: "Our level of performance at the moment is good - I thought we were unfortunate not to get anything from last weekend.

"That's important because we have some tough matches coming up - you have to be in those games.

"You have to be part of a good defensive unit as well as standing up to the challenge individually on Sunday."

Chelsea manager Maurizio Sarri: "For us it is a very important match. We need to confirm our motivation and determination like we showed in the last match.

"We need these qualities with continuity because every match is three points. We need to improve, improve a lot.

"I agree this match for us is really very important. Maybe it is the most important in this season at this moment."

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head

• [*=left]Chelsea have won all six of their league games against Brighton by an aggregate score of 12-1.
    [*=left]Brighton are looking for their first victory over Chelsea in any competition since 1933, when they won 2-1 in the FA Cup third round.
    [*=left]The Seagulls have lost the last eight meetings, conceding 18 goals and scoring just once.
Brighton

• [*=left]Brighton have lost just one of their last 10 Premier League home games (W5, D4), and failed to score in only one of the last 14.
    [*=left]However, four of their five home defeats in the division have come against last season's top six.
    [*=left]Brighton manager Chris Hughton is winless in his last eight meetings with Chelsea.
    [*=left]Glenn Murray's goals have been worth nine points this season, a joint league-high with Arsenal's Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang and Everton's Richarlison.
    [*=left]Brighton's only shot on target last weekend against Burnley came in the 93rd minute.
    [*=left]Thirteen of Brighton's 19 league goals have come via a set-piece.
Chelsea

• [*=left]Chelsea have lost their last two Premier League away games, having sustained just one defeat in the previous nine (W7, D1).
    [*=left]They began the season with five straight league victories but have only won five of the last 11, drawing four and losing two.
    [*=left]The Blues have used just 20 players in the Premier League in 2018-19 - only Wolves, with 18, have selected fewer.
    [*=left]Eden Hazard has made a league-high eight assists, double the tally he managed in 34 appearances last season.
    [*=left]The Belgian could assist Premier League goals in four consecutive games for the first time.
    [*=left]Kepa Arrizabalaga has not kept consecutive league clean sheets since August 2017 for Athletic Club in La Liga.
    [*=left]However, Chelsea have kept a clean sheet in all five Premier League matches this season following a Europa League fixture.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
I really hope we don't show too much respect and get in their faces from the off. Don't fancy a pointless afternoon awaiting the inevitable and being surrounded by people purring at the quality of the Chelsea goals. I'm not expecting a win against such a quality side but if we are on our game like we were against Palace, we can give any team a fright a least.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
So excited

Cozzy

Jul 26, 2018
Grimsby
Have a feeling it will either be a big 1-0 home win or a drubbing .... hoping for the home win but kinda expect a defensive sit back hope for a goal and trying to hang on to their coat tails display which could go horribly wrong.

Dont see the shackles being off just a case of how long we hold before conceding the first then maybe we will try to have a go in the last 15 mins

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I have moaned more than most about how we have been setting up like the away team at home this season, but today I would completely get why we might do that. Not sure that being adventurous will result in anything but a tonking.

PTC Gull

Micky Mouse country.
NSC Patreon
Apr 17, 2017
Florida
About to head out to the Amex for the 2nd game for me this year. I was here in Jan and got to the Amex to see us play.....Chelsea :down:
Hoping for a better result this time.
Usually get a seat down near the dugout, but this time I will be in the WSU, area W3G. Happy to meet anyone for a chat. I will be wearing a yellow jacket. Cheers.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Hope we don't start like last season's game and out of it in the first 10 minutes

Hope the ref isn’t as biased too. Remember the Schelotto penalty that wasn’t?

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
Watch Hazard back into/wait for our players to get close before falling over. As good as he is, he cons so many fouls. Hope none of them count.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Watch Hazard back into/wait for our players to get close before falling over. As good as he is, he cons so many fouls. Hope none of them count.

Bit harsh. One of the best in the world. Such a clever player he draws defenders into fouling him.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Please don’t bring sideways Stephens in

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sidwell literally mocked YOU in the end of season video last year :lol:

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
Brighton & Hove Albion vs Chelsea *** Official Match Thread ***

Sidwell literally mocked YOU in the end of season video last year :lol:

Remind me how many goals he gets in 1 and a half season propper and Stephens to negative . Are u saying drop Bissouma?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Pretty limited service between Brighton and falmer today. Just noticed that no train from brighton to falmer between 12.17 and 12.47 for example. Such a joke on match day, I know it's Sunday but you'd think the club and southern between them could ensure there were extra trains

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here