Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton & Hove Albion vs Chelsea *** Official Match Thread ***

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I didn’t say sack him and I realise he’s done a good job over his time here. I have no idea why you’re mentioning those names.

I’m just saying if I look at this season in isolation and think about what has let us down and what has stopped us realising our potential so far, my opinion is that it’s him.

And what is the unrealised potential of a club that was playing at Gillingham, raising cash in buckets, dishing out dross for years and now sit mid prem, turning a profit, in a state of the art stadium, training facility, Cat A academy etc with a mega rich fan owner?

Chris Hughton is defensive and frustratingly conservative, but you cant argue as a club we are doing (there of thereabouts) about as well as we can realistically hope for. We're not top 6, we're not european contenders, we're second season PL and doing just fine

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Lost by four last year.
One this year.

At this rate in a few years time we might be able to win. Baby steps.

Well, quite. No doubt we've improved from last season. Chelsea had 3 shots on target, we had 2. Hardly a battering.

The question was more a reaction to an overly-pessimistic post that, in my opinion, combined a degree of entitlement with scapegoating.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
I didn’t say sack him and I realise he’s done a good job over his time here. I have no idea why you’re mentioning those names.

I’m just saying if I look at this season in isolation and think about what has let us down and what has stopped us realising our potential so far, my opinion is that it’s him.
What a load of bullocks. We are where we are because of Hughton not despite of him. Sorry I've not lost my temper until this game and we have just lost 1 - 2 to a top team who tonked us 0-4 last year. What do fans expect we start thrashing teams like Chelsea NOW. Fans need to sober up. We need years and as much investment as the top six to compete with them. Of course we may get the occasional good result against them but with our limited resources and our excellent manager we are getting closer.

Rant over....well played lads. Bad luck we are still improving and a lot of our support are still behind the players and manager.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
And replace him with who exactly? Mark huges and Allardyce are both available...heck, I'm sure even Pardew would come down and manage us. Chris knows this league, and has footed us to within 4 points of 7th place in the premier league from 22nd in the championship in four years. He is more than adequate for where we are now.
I quite agree, but he's still not above criticism. I want him here for the long term, but that doesn't mean I have to like his selection for the starting XI today.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
And what is the unrealised potential of a club that was playing at Gillingham, raising cash in buckets, dishing out dross for years and now sit mid prem, turning a profit, in a state of the art stadium, training facility, Cat A academy etc with a mega rich fan owner?

Chris Hughton is defensive and frustratingly conservative, but you cant argue as a club we are doing (there of thereabouts) about as well as we can realistically hope for. We're not top 6, we're not european contenders, we're second season PL and doing just fine

I don’t agree with TCB

But

The Gilligham days are completely irrelevant to the point he is making.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006

What a load of bollocks. We are where we are because of Hughton not despite of him. Sorry I've not lost my temper until this game and we have just lost 1 - 2 to a top team who tonked us 0-4 last year. What do fans expect we start thrashing teams like Chelsea NOW. Fans need to sober up. We need years and as much investment as the top six to compete with them. Of course we may get the occasional good result against them but with our limited resources and our excellent manager we are getting closer.

Rant over....well played lads. Bad luck we are still improving and a lot of our support are still behind the players and manager.

Geestar

Nov 6, 2012
Shoreham Beach
the keeper or any defender should've been different?
Murray not starting up front?
March on current form and knockaert not starting on wings? (based on izzys poor form and Alrireza just returning from Injury)

So just the central midfield then?....... All of them?
Okay then.....Chris got it perfect

It was my first negative post towards Chris but I must be wrong sorry.

Sent from my TA-1020 using Tapatalk

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
I quite agree, but he's still not above criticism. I want him here for the long term, but that doesn't mean I have to like his selection for the starting XI today.

Of course, I'd certainly put the Leicester result down to him as well. I was simply disagreeing with the view that our underlying underlying problem is our manager.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
20 years ago Man City were in League One and Barnsley were in the Premier League. Would Pep get away with a mid table finish this year just because the club was once losing to Macclesfield? No. Judge the here and now.

Agree with your second paragraph. We are doing just about OK in points and are below par in performances and team evolution.

Would you actually replace CH with who.?
Think who he has managed before and where they are now? Newcastle Birmingham Norwich are they better off without Hughton.....no. just be thankful he is with us. Not beyond criticism but surely not deserving the calls for him holding us back.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Shame we have them too much space in the first half, but when we pressed in the second half we looked very good. Draw would have been a reasonable result overall, we were thrashed first half but very much had them on the ropes at the end. Need to not stand off teams. Also we need to always have at least one pace option on in attack.

SeagullCrow

May 9, 2008
20 years ago Man City were in League One and Barnsley were in the Premier League. Would Pep get away with a mid table finish this year just because the club was once losing to Macclesfield? No. Judge the here and now.

Agree with your second paragraph. We are doing just about OK in points and are below par in performances and team evolution.

But the analogy isn't the same. We're not a Man City, nor are we likely to be so at any point in the decades to come. A better comparison with where we are now would be a Portsmouth of about 10 years ago. Nobody would want the Board or the manager to be as reckless as they were in either spending or tactics. I understand fans getting frustrated with Hughton's conservative tactics, but his ultimate agenda is to keep us a Premier League outfit in the short and medium term. As such, he's not only doing a brilliant job, but is building incrementally to put us in a position to have a more attacking threat. Our summer additions are proof of that, but Hughton (sensibly) doesn't want us to run before we can walk.

So let's judge the here-and-now: from my perspective, we are an evolving club, and trying to go faster than we're able is likely to backfire considerably. Yes, it means watching painfully defensive football at times, but that is a price well worth paying for our long-term development.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Ok...couple of observations:

Decent game of football overall.
Chelsea are better than us man for man
We gave it a go in the second half
Defence played ok apart from 1 or two moments, one that cost us a goal.
Ref was inconsistent, but there was a lot of theatrics out there
Andone and bassouma are getting better and better ad need to start.

Negatives
Bringing back Stevens was a mistake against a team with so much pace
Bringing back Murray to start was a mistake against a team with so much pace.
Knocky needs to convert his undoubted skill into a better passer and take players on!
We are too slow to attack only doing so when andone came on.
First time I have openly criticised hughton for his team selection. He got it wrong IMHO
Complete ****whit in the bus queue " vaping" with some disgusting smelling shite and then telling everyone to **** off....and there we are few of us...when we said blow somewhere else as some kid in the queue was coughing his little lungs up and this wanker said tough.

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
Another game when u look back with as much frustration than anything else the first 15 were ok without worrying them . The rest of the half was embarrassing little flicks that didn’t work , work rate below par . Two words second half Bissouma and andone made all the difference. Said it before you cannot at propper and Stephens in the same team too alike negative sideways and backwards football . They offer nothing as a pairing and no goals . 7 points when Stephens was absent says it all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
CH I am afraid picked the wrong team and tactics , only in the last 25 mins did we look like a team , when the subs came on

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
When you reflect on where this club has come from - not so long ago - you’ve got to laugh at the negative comments following a narrow defeat against one of the best teams in Europe!

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Similar feel to the Tottenham match. Afforded them far too much respect, belatedly worked our way back into the match but left ourselves with just too much to do.

Not going to fret about it. Bissouma and Andone really beginning to look the part. I just read the Guardian match report and buried away in the comments section was a Chelsea supporter saying that he liked Andone. Hopefully he'll do big things for us in 2019 (Andone, not the Chelsea fan).

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
When you reflect on where this club has come from - not so long ago - you’ve got to laugh at the negative comments following a narrow defeat against one of the best teams in Europe!

Unrealistic whingers. Small club Chelsea have bought a ‘shed’ load of of internationals, which unfortunately gives the Chavs the advantage 19 times out of 29 against clubs of Brighton’s size.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here