Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Netflix show - “Sunderland ‘til I Die”

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
Anyone else started to watch this?

Jason Steele appears quite a lot at the start of it. Also interesting to see that Sunderland had identified Beram Kayal as a potential loan signing at the start of last season.

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
This is brilliant, the makers being sunderland fans expexted it to be a phoenix from the flames story, now its a shit hitting fan moment it great.

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
Heard this being discussed with the makers (who are Sunderland fans) earlier on the week on 5 Live. Looking forward to it and expecting it to be quite a contrast to the Man City tale of glory!

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
Wasn’t goin* to bother but have now spent the entire night watching several episodes, liberal use of Wikipedia and the BBC. I know lots about those SAFC players now. I still think Rodwell is a bit of a #£&*, but I suppose it’s not his fault he was massively over-paid with a sensible relegation clause.

I might even go to their forum and read a few posts to get the full meltdown experience.

My god I hope we never go through that again in my lifetime.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Its everything that polished, airbrushed promotional Man City BOREFEST isn't.

It taps into the club, the players, the employees, the fans, the community, the city, perfectly. What you DON'T get is the fly-on-the-wall dressing room scenes which were (initially) fascinating at City but rapidly became rather "samey" - false drama, they always bloody won anyway. This doc doesn't suffer for it though, because it still has enough access for some enlighteningly nuanced views from the players, the managers (particularly Chris Coleman) and the CEO Martin Bain, who comes across as a real class act throughout IMO.

Jonny Williams was the one who elicited huge sympathy from me. Softly spoken, massively lacking in confidence, battling demons from his constant injuries, and living a lonely life with no partner (at one point, after a genuine high of completing a full training session after a long layoff, he smiled and said "I'm going home now to play FIFA). A real insight into what lies behind the glitz and glamour.

Its a carcrash of a season, from the initially high expectations of challenging to go straight back up, to the utter catastrophe that subsequently unfolded. And in a purely aesthetic view, the cutshots and editing of the live action on the pitch, with the slo-mo's, goals and impacts, are right up there with all the superb shots you get on a Top Gear car review with the gravel flying.

Chris Coleman - class act, getting his shovel out and mucking in with the rest of the staff clearing the stadium pitch from snow at one point. Deserved better.
Martin Bain - CEO, battling against the odds with an absent and disinterested chairman, but dealing with everyone with respect and humility. Came across very well.
Lewis Grabban - "I was getting subbed at 65-70 minutes....sorry, I can't be having that" - fvcked off back to the Muff in January to get his move to anywhere else (WBA) - utter, utter shithouse, would DISMALLY fail our "no dickheads" criteria. We dodged a bullet there.
Jack Rodwell - mercenary prick on his £70k a week, who saw 3 players shipped out in January so that they could balance the books as he wasn't interested in a move and would rather scoop his wonga. Yes, the clubs stupid fault for giving him that deal, but seeing the impact (and potential redundancies) as they faced L1 - what a dick.

GREAT documentary though. Probably the best football one I've seen.

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
Also completed watching the whole series yesterday after posting. One thing that annoyed me about it was the crowd shots or those taken from the touch line were featuring a completely different match than the one it was supposed to. For example, was meant to be playing away from home at Pride Park, cut to crowd scenes from a home match at the SoL.

Drebin

Jul 25, 2011
Norway
I’ve got to episode 3 and think it’s brilliant. It’s tragic/funny hearing the optimism in the first episode when you know how it all ends. My first thought was that there were many at the club who underestimated the championship.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
After seeing this thread late last night, I sat up to the early hours watching first 2 episodes - completely hooked

and knackered

Seagulltonian

C'mon the Albion!
Oct 2, 2003
Still Somewhere in Sussex!
Just rejoined Netflix to watch this.
I could have sat and watched the whole lot in one go, as it's grabbed my attention, but have decided to pace myself, as 46 games is a long season! :smokin:

Imagine if Netflix had been around in the days of our struggles, what a fantastic programme that would have made! :albion2:

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Ben Roberts on board made him the ideal back-up for us I thought. A total project yes, but better than a journeyman who's already peaked. Steele seemed pretty good as a youngster but then not seen him much for the past 6 or so years. It's a pretty low risk gamble as we brought 2 back-ups in and only need one longer term with so many amazing prospects coming through the acadamy at that position. Seems a real strength.

Oh and thanks to this post, I'm sitting down right now to watch first episode.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
If Ben Roberts and Paul Winstanley thinks he’s good enough then I’m okay with him.

They've got their work cut out - I think I counted about half a dozen howlers from him in this doc.

By the end, his confidence was absolutely shot to bits.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here