Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] If Gross Were to Sign for Liverpool . . .

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
If Pascale Gross were to sign for Liverpool, (or any other club for that matter), in next month's transfer window, then l believe we have the ready made replacement, namely one Florin Andone, a man l fancy is going to be very successful at the Albion, and was an absolute bargain buy too.

Florin would make the ideal number 10, can become our new playmaker, provide the chances for Glenn Murray, and possibly bag a few more goals of his own, than Pascale has done.

I rate Pascaler Gross just as highly as anyone, and l realise that we are trying to build a squad here, not destroy one, but l just think that if he has to go, (and it must be tempting if a club with the credentials of Liverpool come calling), then I don't think things will work out as badly as some may think.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I'm sure we'll cope, but it would be the end of this particular rise where we have been adding and improving our squad, and indeed everything around the club, incrementally without losing anything.

The last time we sold a player we would rather have kept was Leo Ulloa back in July 2014. That's four years and five months where we haven't lost a single player we didn't want to. Club-wise the only significant departure during that same period was assistant manager Colin Calderwood. Its been an astonishing run.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
If Pascale Gross were to sign for Liverpool, (or any other club for that matter), in next month's transfer window, then l believe we have the ready made replacement, namely one Florin Andone, a man l fancy is going to be very successful at the Albion, and was an absolute bargain buy too.

Florin would make the ideal number 10, can become our new playmaker, provide the chances for Glenn Murray, and possibly bag a few more goals of his own, than Pascale has done.

I rate Pascaler Gross just as highly as anyone, and l realise that we are trying to build a squad here, not destroy one, but l just think that if he has to go, (and it must be tempting if a club with the credentials of Liverpool come calling), then I don't think things will work out as badly as some may think.

You pissed, they arent even close to being similar type of players.

If we replaced Andone with Gross we would be playing a 4-4-2.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
If we keep Pascal, I'd rather we went 4-4-2

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley

Disagree. I don't see Florin having Gross's passing or dead ball skills. Two different players. Gross would be a big loss

Hugo Rune

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
We could use some of the money to buy Hagi’s son off him. He is tipped to be as good as his old man. Andone could help in the negotiations and settling in. We could buy Powell as well.

All done and probably £5m+ in the Kitty as profit.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We could use some of the money to buy Hagi’s son off him. He is tipped to be as good as his old man. Andone could help in the negotiations and settling in. We could buy Powell as well.

All done and probably £5m+ in the Kitty as profit.

Which will be handy as the team tumbles into the championship having rather shortsightedly sold it's only playmaker to Liverpool's bench.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field

I always find different fans' perceptions of the same players very interesting. For me, Andone and Gross are massively different players. I've not seen enough of Andone to properly judge, but I can't see his range of passing and creativity being similar to Gross. If we were looking amongst our current squad for a closer replacement for Gross, I'd be looking at Bissouma personally.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Disagree. I don't see Florin having Gross's passing or dead ball skills. Two different players. Gross would be a big loss

I'm eager to get Andone in the team though, l definately think he offers us something we don't presently have. The problem we presently have though, is where to play him. He will never dislodge Glenn, he is a totally different knid of foward anyway, and l don't really see where he could currently fit in, unless of course we totally change our formation.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I do not think that Andone or if we brought him in Powell could replace Gross so it would be a case of buying again or changing our system to play 4-4-2. using Andone with either Murray or Locadia.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Gross is a superb footballer, probably our only player on a par with Bruno when it comes to first touch. That’s why, however fanciful it might seem, he could play for a big six side - especially one that is relentlessly offensive and would give him more opportunity to express himself

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Gross is a superb footballer, probably our only player on a par with Bruno when it comes to first touch. That’s why, however fanciful it might seem, he could play for a big six side - especially one that is relentlessly offensive and would give him more opportunity to express himself

Well no one could surely blame him he were to be tempted by any suitable offers from Liverpool, he would automatically be on a higher wage if nothing else. What I would question though, was whether or not he was going to get into the team regularly enough. Would he be happy just warming the bench for long periods?

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I see the weather has changed, no longer are the moaners out about we must give it a go, we are now back into 4-4-2 is the way forward.

Andone is not the same type of player as Gross, yet again Friday lunchtime Xmas drinks strike

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
We don't have anyone who does something similar to Gross. When Gross was injured, Andone, Bissouma and Locadia were fit and we replaced him with Solly March.

A replacement for Gross, even if we could identify him and sign him, would cost way more than the (in this market) paltry £15m allegedly on offer.

We should fight tooth and nail to keep Pascal

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
We don't have anyone who does something similar to Gross. When Gross was injured, Andone, Bissouma and Locadia were fit and we replaced him with Solly March.

A replacement for Gross, even if we could identify him and sign him, would cost way more than the (in this market) paltry £15m allegedly on offer.

We should fight tooth and nail to keep Pascal

& fight tooth and nail I'm sure that we will, however if he thinks that he will be bettering himself by going to Liverpool, and if they were to make an acceptable offer of course, l very much doubt that we would stand in his way, that isn't the way that Tony Bloom operates.

All if's and but's at this stage of course, but if we have to, and providing we get a large wedge for him, I think we would cope.

Waynflete

Nov 10, 2009
I'm sure we'll cope, but it would be the end of this particular rise where we have been adding and improving our squad, and indeed everything around the club, incrementally without losing anything.

The last time we sold a player we would rather have kept was Leo Ulloa back in July 2014. That's four years and five months where we haven't lost a single player we didn't want to. Club-wise the only significant departure during that same period was assistant manager Colin Calderwood. Its been an astonishing run.

I don’t think we wanted to lose Goldson, but couldn’t stand in his way given that he wasn’t starting. But I take your general point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here