Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Lefty loonies

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
More stuff to get outraged about. I’m going to need a bigger notepad although I’ll stick under ‘not worth worrying about until everything else is sorted’

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Well, as a lefty myself, I'm going to stand up for the right here and say they aren't interested in inequality, they are interested in freedom. And as any student of politics will tell you, you cannot have true freedom without inequality, and you cannot have true equality without restricting freedoms.

Its a battle between two well-meaning ideals that has raged since time immemorial. The French made the best philosophical effort to reconcile the two things by adding a third ideal, brotherhood, to the mix in their famous 'liberte, egalite, fraternite'. We know that true brotherhood between people means that some will accept being a little less equal in return for more freedoms, and others will accept being a little less free in return for more equality, and if we trust and respect each other we can all get along just fine.

Its what allows us to create bigger and better unions with more and more people to live happier and more prosperous lives.... but when the brotherhood falls apart things start sliding...........

Respect.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Well, I've offered an example of how to distinguish them. I appreciate that it's not been too popular, but no-one really has offered up an alternative. Does this mean that they are indefinable because, if it does, they're surely redundant terms that we should consign to the dustbin of history and yet, they continue to excite/incite much interest.

I don't know to be honest. They're convenient terms but I just don't find them that useful when drilling down into the more specific elements of ideology, such as definitions of liberty and freedom of all vs freedom of the individual.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here