Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Lefty loonies

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
"Adverts showing a woman struggling to park a car or a man refusing to do housework while his wife cooks dinner will be banned from next year as part of an industry-wide crackdown on sexist stereotypes.
Under the new rules, British companies will no longer be able to create promotions that depict men and women engaged in gender-stereotypical activities, amid fears that such depictions are contributing to pay inequality and causing psychological harm.
Adverts will no longer be able to show a person failing to achieve a task specifically because of their gender, such as a man unable to change a nappy or a woman unable to do DIY".

Oh dear. The world has lost its sense of humour.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Source: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...struggling-nappy-gender-stereotype-crackdown/

"Cap said the evidence from the review did not show that gender stereotypes were always problematic or that the use of seriously offensive or potentially harmful stereotypes in advertising was endemic.

It said the aim of the new rule was therefore to identify specific harm that should be prevented rather than banning gender stereotypes outright."

So luckily you'll still be able to laugh at all those hilarious adverts [MENTION=144]goldstone[/MENTION].

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
"Adverts showing a woman struggling to park a car or a man refusing to do housework while his wife cooks dinner will be banned from next year as part of an industry-wide crackdown on sexist stereotypes.
Under the new rules, British companies will no longer be able to create promotions that depict men and women engaged in gender-stereotypical activities, amid fears that such depictions are contributing to pay inequality and causing psychological harm.
Adverts will no longer be able to show a person failing to achieve a task specifically because of their gender, such as a man unable to change a nappy or a woman unable to do DIY".

The last comment is interesting.

Do you find adverts funny ?

Have you got a box set of Carling Black Label classics ?

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Jim Davidson. Michael McIntyre. :laugh:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

The stereotype I absolutely detested through the 2000s and 2010s was the one where the man of the house is just portrayed as useless and stupid, with the woman giving some cringeworthy knowing look. And yet, women have had to put up with a lot worse before then and since.

In essence, I think I'm saying I'm pleased this is happening. It's a change for the better.

Stumpy Tim

The stereotype I absolutely detested through the 2000s and 2010s was the one where the man of the house is just portrayed as useless and stupid, with the woman giving some cringeworthy knowing look. And yet, women have had to put up with a lot worse before then and since.

In essence, I think I'm saying I'm pleased this is happening. It's a change for the better.

Exactly this

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London

Genuinely wondering what this has to do with left wing politics?

In that it is against sexism and about tackling inequality? This is a genuine question btw.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Genuinely wondering what this has to do with left wing politics?

In that it is against sexism and about tackling inequality? This is a genuine question btw.

Wise words. If I was a right-thinking Conservative (of which there are many), I think I'd take offence at this idea that the left-wing have cornered the market on changes that make people's lives less of a misery.

"lefty looney" is a stupid dated phrase thrown about by the ignorant and intolerant these days. It might have had merit when describing neo-Marxist councillors banning school sports day on the grounds of unnecessary competition in the 1980s, but this? Do me a favour.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003

https://www.asa.org.uk/asset/FA0CDD1A-6453-42FF-BD2892D70C53C5E7/

Yep - from the ASA report they're banning ads that feature "a man trying and failing to undertake simple parental or household tasks."

I just lament the fact that none of us will ever laugh again. This truly is the death of humour.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003

I agree. I am concerned that comedy and laughter will not survive this destruction of witty, clever and amusing generalisations.

I may have to look past adverts for my comedy fix, but where else will I find such quality?

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen

I know, this country hasn't been the same since Mrs T got stabbed in the back

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here