Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Question Time

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
A nice send-off for Dimbleby there, and one that is well deserved. He's done a good job over many years.

Most cringeworthy moment of the night was hearing the Labour woman reject a People's Vote whilst clinging on to the pipe dream of a General Election and renegotiated Brexit. The Tories should thank their lucky stars Corbyn is still leading the Opposition and not Starmer or Umunna.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
A nice send-off for Dimbleby there, and one that is well deserved. He's done a good job over many years.

Most cringeworthy moment of the night was hearing the Labour woman reject a People's Vote whilst clinging on to the pipe dream of a General Election and renegotiated Brexit. The Tories should thank their lucky stars Corbyn is still leading the Opposition and not Starmer or Umunna.

.. and the **** in the audience at the end.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
Given most of the conversation was about Brexit should they really have had only one leaver on the panel v four remainers? Hardly representative of the vote is it?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Given most of the conversation was about Brexit should they really have had only one leaver on the panel v four remainers? Hardly representative of the vote is it?

That was debunked last week. The panel was actually representative of political thinking, so you are gonna get politicians who voted remain, but have now accepted we are going to leave.

The Labour MP was quite clear she didn't want a second referendum.

Quite why there is this obsession with break down of the panel is beyond me. Both leavers and remainers on here can't quite decide which bias this programme displays

:)

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

I've never liked Dimbleby - the BBC couldn't have picked a more pompous entrenched into the establishment presenter if they'd tried. I'm delighted he's leaving, to be honest.

Agree with your second point. I've always thought that Labour politician was absolutely DIRE, and precisely the reason why this crap Tory government gets in by default. You're absolutely right about her clinging onto that pathetic GE pipe dream.

The star of the show was Lucas. By far the best politician on the panel, IMO. Many years ago I'd have had respect for David Davies but his utter uselessness and cowardice over Brexit have revealed him to be a clown not worth listening to.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
This should be good this evening and easy for David Davis as the panel includes 2 comedians Jo Brand & Caroline Lucas MP.

David Davis, the Secretary of State for" Exiting the European Union" (for TWO YEARS)?

And here we are five months after he resigned with a terrible deal that he had a hand in negotiating, and most government departments not ready for the no deal option.

Yeah should be so easy for him.......

Based on your misogynistic post regarding women and sports, it's no surprise the disregard you have for a successful female politician who is widely respected by her peers and the public.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I've never liked Dimbleby - the BBC couldn't have picked a more pompous entrenched into the establishment presenter if they'd tried. I'm delighted he's leaving, to be honest.

Agree with your second point. I've always thought that Labour politician was absolutely DIRE, and precisely the reason why this crap Tory government gets in by default. You're absolutely right about her clinging onto that pathetic GE pipe dream.

The star of the show was Lucas. By far the best politician on the panel, IMO. Many years ago I'd have had respect for David Davies but his utter uselessness and cowardice over Brexit have revealed him to be a clown not worth listening to.

Don't agree with your first point but certainly strongly agree with the 2&3 points.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
The impression I got from the programme last night

Labour are only there to pick up the pieces after they let the car crash happen, putting party politics before national interest. The lady just kept saying what they would have done , that's no good now its too late. They have no way now of taking things forward beyond what May has agreed as the EU know we are on the floor especially after the vote of confidence. They need to be clear that as they don't support May's deal then it will be no deal.

David Davis being an absolutely smug ****even though as lead negotiator it is his f**k up and he has the audacity to blame May. He thought it would be easy and didn't pay any attention to what was going on

Nicky Morgan came over sensible

Caroline Lucas was brilliant passionate & articulate. Really needs to sign up with the centralists within Labour & Tory party to take this country out of this mess.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
That was debunked last week. The panel was actually representative of political thinking, so you are gonna get politicians who voted remain, but have now accepted we are going to leave.

The Labour MP was quite clear she didn't want a second referendum.

Quite why there is this obsession with break down of the panel is beyond me. Both leavers and remainers on here can't quite decide which bias this programme displays

:)

Well I get that if the programme is going to focus on all issues, but last night was entirely Brexit related so should have had at least half of the panel made up of Leavers.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
The impression I got from the programme last night

Labour are only there to pick up the pieces after they let the car crash happen, putting party politics before national interest. The lady just kept saying what they would have done , that's no good now its too late. They have no way now of taking things forward beyond what May has agreed as the EU know we are on the floor especially after the vote of confidence. They need to be clear that as they don't support May's deal then it will be no deal.

David Davis being an absolutely smug ****even though as lead negotiator it is his f**k up and he has the audacity to blame May. He thought it would be easy and didn't pay any attention to what was going on

Nicky Morgan came over sensible

Caroline Lucas was brilliant passionate & articulate. Really needs to sign up with the centralists within Labour & Tory party to take this country out of this mess.

Caroline please.....can you save Britain?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Well I get that if the programme is going to focus on all issues, but last night was entirely Brexit related so should have had at least half of the panel made up of Leavers.
Eh?

As well as Brand, we had:
1 Labour who wants to respect the referendum vote
1 Tory who wants to respect the referendum vote by backing May's bodge
1 Tory who wants to respect the referendum vote by leaving with no deal if needs be
1 Green who wants a people's vote

I fail to see how that is anything other than balanced. You're not going to get equal leave/remain proportions amongst politicians as you seem to want, because Remain is a MASSIVE majority in the house.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

One day the Tory's will disband ofcom and you're get Fox News UK. Till then, stick with Guido, Breibart etc..

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

Davis's role in this shambles should not be underestimated. Last night on QT he kept repeating himself about the last 3 months before the Brexit deadline being the most important, i.e. "we're getting to the crunch time now".

People say that he didn't turn up and put a shift in and it's easy to see why if his attitude all along was the real talking doesn't start until he New Year. Unfortunately for him and Britain the EU said at the outset the talks would have to have concluded by November 2018 in order to be ratified by the EU leaders, and sure enough they stuck to their word. By the end of November "EU - The Withdrawal Agreement" had hit the shelves of WH Smith and Juncker was already penning the sequel "EU - Planning for No Deal".

You wonder if he had stayed as Brexit Secretary at what point the penny would have dropped re his 'pie in the sky' timetable.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Disagree and it also doesn't really add to the debate to stay or remain that's over.

75 percent of the political classes would prefer remain, the ones that voted leave tend to be of the frothing at the mouth variety - completely at tangent with the "sensible" leavers.

The mandate of the programme is to reflect political views, not a balance of HOW people voted.

Put your paranoia to bed, leave won

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
Eh?

As well as Brand, we had:
1 Labour who wants to respect the referendum vote
1 Tory who wants to respect the referendum vote by backing May's bodge
1 Tory who wants to respect the referendum vote by leaving with no deal if needs be
1 Green who wants a people's vote

I fail to see how that is anything other than balanced. You're not going to get equal leave/remain proportions amongst politicians as you seem to want, because Remain is a MASSIVE majority in the house.

There won't be a panel or even an audience that is equal leave vs remain, as in reality it's remain vs leave on TMs deal vs leave on another deal* vs leave whatever.

There's such disparity within the leave element, I mean Ken Clarke on CH4 news this evening was even talking about revoking Article 50, then putting together a plan based on what we now before then invoking Article 50 again.

* the another deal that apparently everyone believes they can negotiate but cannot actually articulate or get agreement on.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials

Pretty much this. Dimbleby is an embarrassment who doesn't appear to understand half of what is being said and seems to prioritise male Tory opinions over anything voiced by anyone else, especially women. Angela Rayner used to be an independent, moderate voice within the Labour cabinet but she has allowed herself to be dragged into the idiotic 'We want an election' chorus when there's no evidence whatsoever that they would win it. Davis has become a joke, albeit not a very funny one.

That just leaves the divine Caroline. She should be Prime Minister of an emergency coalition government. Unlike most voters in this embattled nation, those of us in Brighton Pavilion can hold our heads high in the knowledge that we sent a proper MP to Westminster.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here