Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Sainsburys West Hove P and R

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Indeed! Many a pleasant hour spent up to mischief on the golf course before they put that bloody Supermarket in. Our mums used to traipse down to Boundary road and lug the shopping back on foot, or on the 11 bus if they were lucky. Tell that to the kids of today and they wouldn't believe you :wink::thumbsup:

mmm the goold old blue & white number 11, it used to run along the side of Hove Park did it not?

Before my time of living in Sussex l'm afraid.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
mmm the goold old blue & white number 11, it used to run along the side of Hove Park did it not?

Before my time of living in Sussex l'm afraid.

No - that was the 26 (I think). The 11 went down Foredown Drive, OSR, Boundary Road, then along the sea front as far as King Alfred, then back into town, along Western Road to Churchill Square. As far as I recall. Would have been around 1981 last time to went on it :thumbsup:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Legendary service. :bowdown:

Thanks Kauto for the heads up.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
If you got the first bus, perhaps. Or the first coach. If not, it was an 8pm or later departure time. The managing of the car park was atrocious tonight. The club knew there would be more traffic up there but there were the same resources, two quiet ladies who had no interest or responsibility in managing the flow of the traffic out of the car park. There were arguments, dangerous driving as a result and a queue which, stupidly, was blocking in parked cars. It was badly managed for those who didn't make the first rides out of there and it wasn't necessary because it would only have needed an extra 2/3 people maximum. Surely they could have been spared from somewhere?

The traffic management needs to improve. Yes, there will always be queues at the end of the game and yes, today was going to be worse through no fault of the club. But at the same time, the management plan was either insufficient or incomplete. There doesn't seem to be any joined up thinking from the University to the Amex on site car parks themselves. Is it inappropriate to expect them all to work as one? Is there a reason why it hasn't been sorted out within the 7 years of playing there?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If you got the first bus, perhaps. Or the first coach. If not, it was an 8pm or later departure time. The managing of the car park was atrocious tonight.
The jog up the hill (that damn near killed me) was clearly worth it then.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
The jog up the hill (that damn near killed me) was clearly worth it then.

I suspect there will be strong comments to follow. Personally, I had nothing to rush back to. I was in no rush.

I didn't cycle today because the park and ride is a 5 minute walk and it's been brilliant before. I was unlucky today, I missed the coach by a person or 3 and then had to wait a bit longer. No big deal, no dramas - but it could have been managed better. Is it not possible to stack buses somewhere in the University car park or on the road?

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I suspect there will be strong comments to follow. Personally, I had nothing to rush back to. I was in no rush.

. Is it not possible to stack buses somewhere in the University car park or on the road?

Apparently not. Earlier poster said the buses in the uni car park blocked the roads causing gridlock. Not much joined up thinking here !

LadySeagull

Jan 21, 2011
Portslade
Apparently not. Earlier poster said the buses in the uni car park blocked the roads causing gridlock. Not much joined up thinking here !

Never again. We didn't even get to see a bus move for an hour, and it was cold. It was gridlock up there at the top of the road, and the stewards were ineffective.

The obvious thing would have been to be proactive and stop cars driving up the road, or at least make the traffic on one side wait while one side can go, then swap.

But oh no, let them all try to use the single lane available at the same time, including letting loads of drivers do 3 point turns, reversing at pedestrians. Meanwhile also plonk some coaches on one side permanently blocking a lane, then wonder why absolutely no buses can go either in or out for blinking ages.

Still, at least we got a point and had a game to think about, can't complain.

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
sainsburys - getting in was a breeze.

Getting out was a clusterf@@K.

no plan for the traffic - stewards who were meant to be directing/managing the traffic were absolutely useless. I guess they only had about 6 months to plan for it...

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
We caught it just right. Had a beer afterward, joined the back of the disgruntled looking long queue about 8pm, back at Sainsbury’s by 8.30pm. Heard it was the police messing up the traffic rather than our stewards.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
We caught it just right. Had a beer afterward, joined the back of the disgruntled looking long queue about 8pm, back at Sainsbury’s by 8.30pm. Heard it was the police messing up the traffic rather than our stewards.

But the stewards doing nothing of any kind won't have helped anyone. They offered nothing to the party at all. Nothing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here