Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] We Buy Any Car

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I made the mistake of buying a Ffiesta from a Fford dealership some years ago. Absolute shysters. Everyone, including the cleaners, on commission. I brought back my car after a few years, on one of those 'pay loads of money then after several years you still don't own the car' schemes. They greedily took the car back and settled up. They failed to notice under all the mud that the driver and rear doors had been badly bashed in. Won't bore you with all the shit-housery these dealers had previously pulled on me but this small bit of eyes-wide-open revenge was sweet.
You bought a Ford Fiesta?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I had a Ford Orion many years back and it was starting to age and I bumped in to an old mate who was a motor mechanic at a local garage. He said he had a cracking low mileage car and that the garage would take my Orion in Part Exchange..... anyway deal was done and I drove away in my nice newish car..... a month later I bumped in to my mate the mechanic and he said " You lucky ******* ! " I asked why and he said that it was garage policy not to sell Fords so my old car went down to the car auction at Shoreham a week later.....on the way down there the gearbox exploded !

exKT17

Nov 27, 2016
Argyll & Bute
I had a Ford Orion many years back and it was starting to age and I bumped in to an old mate who was a motor mechanic at a local garage. He said he had a cracking low mileage car and that the garage would take my Orion in Part Exchange..... anyway deal was done and I drove away in my nice newish car..... a month later I bumped in to my mate the mechanic and he said " You lucky ******* ! " I asked why and he said that it was garage policy not to sell Fords so my old car went down to the car auction at Shoreham a week later.....on the way down there the gearbox exploded !

A couple of times I've p-exed cars at dealers - they haven't even inspected the cars for even obvious faults. Don't really understand why not.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
A couple of times I've p-exed cars at dealers - they haven't even inspected the cars for even obvious faults. Don't really understand why not.

I'm no trader but I suspect that a dealers the car is priced £1000 above that real value so they give you £500 off for the part exchange and they are still +£500 up plus whatever crumbs from your old car ?

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne

Because the salesman has chuff all mechanical knowledge (he sells new and nearly new cars with no faults as they've all been through the workshop before hitting the forecourt) and the px's all go to auction anyway, where the buyer can't take it for a drive.

As for the Orion - you could buy a gearbox for one of those for peanuts, but they were actually pretty sturdy. It was most likely the clutch release bearing which shattered...

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Because the salesman has chuff all mechanical knowledge (he sells new and nearly new cars with no faults as they've all been through the workshop before hitting the forecourt) and the px's all go to auction anyway, where the buyer can't take it for a drive.

As for the Orion - you could buy a gearbox for one of those for peanuts, but they were actually pretty sturdy. It was most likely the clutch release bearing which shattered...

It had 82K on the clock but there was no hint of a problem when driving it, as I drove over the Shoreham flyover at 85mph on the day I collected the new one I asked myself " What are you doing ?"

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
The prices they offer, they are assuming the car is knackered.

The last car i PX'ed they offered 11k for and were only interested in all that all the gear worked, quick look around it and drive around the car park, no real inspection which i would have expected at that money.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
The last car i PX'ed they offered 11k for and were only interested in all that all the gear worked, quick look around it and drive around the car park, no real inspection which i would have expected at that money.

Offered £11k for your car a second hand ???????? we move in different worlds, I only take home £14k a year !

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea
Took my father in law’s car to them a couple of years ago with a base price of £500. Ended up with them owing ME money! To be fair, they appear to have quite a solid business model. Hire cheap premises for a few hours a week, employ a nugget with a clipboard and a list of guaranteed faults you could find on even new cars, and have a guaranteed garage to either buy cars for spares or flog them at a profit. I am sure there are better ways of getting shot of your car.

Yeah yours is a good point, and funnily enough that's exactly what I want to take advantage of. It's a 2008 VW that's done 125000 miles taking us all round the UK & Europe. It's never let us down. Last week the gearbox started sounding like a sack of old spanners dragging under the car. I'll trade it in but PX is coming up at £1500 whereas WBAC suggest £2100. I just want a deposit to put on the next car. I have absolutely no problem trying to get one over on a national motor trader, they've had me plenty of times.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
Sold an A6 Audi when the seal on the windscreen failed, had flooded. Drivers side too. Fuse box went and dodgy gearbox, bodged it to sell! Kerching!!

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Fraid so. Car of the year at the time (94?).
We had one as a courtesy car not that long ago. It was new. It was shit.

We called it the baked bean tin and I didn't feel safe driving my son in it at all.

Mind you, the top of the range Mondeo we were given when some tit almost wrote off my GTD wasn't much better.

Why do people buy Fords? They are terrible.

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea

This is exactly what I wanna hear!

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Didn't even look at mine when I p/x'd it. I'd sent some photos and the mileage. Bargained them up by a grand on that but when I picked the new one up they just asked for the keys.

It was a bit of a mess as well seeing as 19" low profile tyres and diamond cut alloys + a wife who can't park isn't a good mix.

(Got 18" ones on the new one, yeah she's already scraped one)

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Certainly not a make I would ever choose.
Bottom of the range Golf has WAY better spec than the best Mondeo. It's a whole world of difference. Have only had Fords as courtesy cars. It'll stay like that. Utter shite.

The Mondeo was ok to drive (although it lost the plot when it snowed and the AA had to reset it's computer) but the awful plastic build and the shitty interface on EVERYTHING made me want to cry.

"JUST GIVE ME MY VW BACK FFS" I may have said on more than one occasion.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here