• Remain / TMs deal

Votes: 180 54.7%
  • Remain / No deal

Votes: 39 11.9%

• Total voters

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
If a referendum gives a decision we abide by that decision (European Communities 1975, AV 2011) I was referring this this?

:lolol:
I really dont know what you are asking, yes we do normally abide by a referendum decision, it would be odd not to, but abiding by a decision is not "legislation" :shrug:

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
:lolol:
I really dont know what you are asking, yes we do normally abide by a referendum decision, it would be odd not to, but abiding by a decision is not "legislation" :shrug:

If a referendum gives a decision we abide by that decision (European Communities 1975, AV 2011)

You used the quote above as evidence for your assertion that there was a 'correct democratic path". I was simply asking where your quote and citation came from so i could get a better understanding of what you were getting at. You then posted a link to the European Union Referendum Act with no indication of where your quote came from within that.

I am trying to piece together your point about this 'correct democratic path' you mention as it seems confused to me. My question is if this path is correct because you think it is what should be done or if it is correct because there is some legal, political or legislative documentation underpinning it.

You certainly have made clear what you consider to be the most appropriate democratic path but I am struggling to see why this can boldly be proclaimed as the correct one. So I thought I would look at your evidence to see if it shed more light on the subject.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
You used the quote above as evidence for your assertion that there was a 'correct democratic path". I was simply asking where your quote and citation came from so i could get a better understanding of what you were getting at. You then posted a link to the European Union Referendum Act with no indication of where your quote came from within that.

I am trying to piece together your point about this 'correct democratic path' you mention as it seems confused to me. My question is if this path is correct because you think it is what should be done or if it is correct because there is some legal, political or legislative documentation underpinning it.

You certainly have made clear what you consider to be the most appropriate democratic path but I am struggling to see why this can boldly be proclaimed as the correct one. So I thought I would look at your evidence to see if it shed more light on the subject.

Umm you asked me

"Could you post a link to the legislation you quote in your first sentence as I cannot find it? "
I didnt think i had posted or quoted any legislation but sent you a link to the referendum act as it was the only legislation i had quoted on this thread and thought that was what you were referring to
I gave you two examples of referendums where abiding by the decision happened, abiding by the decision the electorate gives in a referendum is the correct democratic path.
It would be the incorrect democratic path or simply wrong to ignore referendum results for whatever reason

Trelford Mills Guide Dog

Jun 14, 2008
I keep hearing those who voted to leave the EU say that they knew exactly what they voted for, as if to suggest there is a single, homogenous position amongst leavers. Judging by the chaotic scenes in parliament and the differing views on this post, this would seem to be bollocks (?).

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Umm you asked me

"Could you post a link to the legislation you quote in your first sentence as I cannot find it? "
I didnt think i had posted any legislation but sent you a link to the referendum act as it was the only legislation i had quoted on this thread and thought that was what you were referring to
I gave you two examples of referendums where abiding by the decision happened, abiding by the decision the electorate gives in a referendum is the correct democratic path.

SO you don't have a link for the citation "(European Communities 1975, AV 2011)" at the end of 'If a referendum gives a decision we abide by that decision'?

This is getting painful

I'll ask again and I'll try to be clearer.

You asserted that "If you want to be in the EU campaign to rejoin after we have left, this is the correct democratic path." (post 126).

You didn't say

"abiding by the decision the electorate gives in a referendum is the correct democratic path." as in your last post. This is a truism, bloody obvious and not something I am trying to argue against.

What I thought the link from the sentence and citation in question* might tell me was if said assertion was your opinion or if it had any basis in law or legislation.

I am guessing that this 'correct politcal path" is your opinion?

*I now understand this not to be legislation (something i would have found out via the link)

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Sorry, but have to pick you up on that one.

My Company receives between 10-15 deliveries/collections a day.

Most of the drivers are Eastern European, and very pleasant.

Approx 50% of them speak little (or in some cases no) English.

Where our transport industry will be without foreign workers is another question - but to say they all 'have excellent English' is complete and utter rubbish.

Maybe Thunderbolt has never met one of your drivers?

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
SO you don't have a link for the citation "(European Communities 1975, AV 2011)" at the end of 'If a referendum gives a decision we abide by that decision'?

This is getting painful

I'll ask again and I'll try to be clearer.

You asserted that "If you want to be in the EU campaign to rejoin after we have left, this is the correct democratic path." (post 126).

You didn't say

"abiding by the decision the electorate gives in a referendum is the correct democratic path." as in your last post. This is a truism, bloody obvious and not something I am trying to argue against.

What I thought the link from the sentence and citation in question* might tell me was if said assertion was your opinion or if it had any basis in law or legislation.

I am guessing that this 'correct politcal path" is your opinion?

*I now understand this not to be legislation (something i would have found out via the link)

"If a referendum gives a decision we abide by that decision (European Communities 1975, AV 2011)"
(European Communities 1975, AV 2011) is not a citation i didnt think it needed a link, sorry i thought it was obvious.Its two referendums as examples of where we abide by the decision that the electorate gives

The 2011 referendum on Alternative Vote

av-ballott.jpg

And The 1975 referendum on remaining in or leaving the European Community

c99b3444e163ba3d_1358945451_9j-4aaqsk.jpeg

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I wasnt suggesting anything except the nurse in question did not have the language skills to carry out her job properly. I wont compromise on my health on that subject.
You can read into it whatever you like. The check up was after the referendum.

Which bookmark is this Nurse fantasy under?

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
There is nothing dictatorial about it. The only sufficient evidence of changing opinions you can possibly cite as conclusive would be the evidence of voting analysis from another referendum
The process is clear and defined. After deciding to Leave in accordance with our own constitutional requirements (the referendum)we shall give notice of our withdrawal. There then follows a two year period to negotiate the terms of withdrawal from the EU(extendable). There is no requirement either by the EU, by our own constitutional requirements or by Act of parliament to vote again during this process to see if we are really really really sure.
The decision has been taken by a democratic vote, Parliament democratically voted to allow this vote to take place and the decision to Leave must be allowed to reach its conclusion and we Leave the EU.
Campaign to rejoin after we have left by all means,Do not be fooled into thinking it is “more democracy” to ignore and overturn the democratic decision taken by the people before that decision reaches its natural conclusion. It really isn’t.

If it is the will of the living people, what is the problem? If TM's deal gets the nod, we can do it in 3 months, and I can't complain that a number of those that voted for it are dead and that there is no mandate from the living, by the time it happens,

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
If it is the will of the living people, what is the problem? If TM's deal gets the nod, we can do it in 3 months, and I can't complain that a number of those that voted for it are dead and that there is no mandate from the living, by the time it happens,

The people have already expressed their will, they dont have to be asked twice because you hate losing and are furious at their decision.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
The people have already expressed their will, they dont have to be asked twice because you hate losing and are furious at their decision.

And a good number of them have died since, and another good number have become eligible to vote, are you interested in the will of the living?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
"If a referendum gives a decision we abide by that decision (European Communities 1975, AV 2011)"
(European Communities 1975, AV 2011) is not a citation i didnt think it needed a link, sorry i thought it was obvious.Its two referendums as examples of where we abide by the decision that the electorate gives

The 2011 referendum on Alternative Vote

View attachment 102966

And The 1975 referendum on remaining in or leaving the European Community

View attachment 102967

I see, sorry that was not obvious to me. Makes sense though, ,my apologies.

To be honest i was expecting something a bit more concrete than your two examples. I am not sure the precedent set by these examples stacks up against the Brexit vote. Entangling the country from the EU is way way way to complex an undertaking to be decided on an in out vote.

To me it seems like madness to wait until you are out of the EU before deciding to go back in again. That is two sets of negotiations to get screwed over by. Why not make sure that is what you want before you do it? Surely making sure you have made the right decision is the correct politcal path?

Although you are correct and a precedent has been set i think it would be wise to look at the current circumstances as extraordinary and consider the correct path for the current situation.

Last edited:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here