Votes: 180 54.7%
  • Remain / No deal

Votes: 39 11.9%

• Total voters

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
If there was genuinely overwhelming demand for another, because feeling had changed, then I'd agree with you. As things stand, the polls seem similar to the polls before the last one - ie, a slight preference for remain.

The main argument I accept for another referendum is the fact that we had to vote for leave before we had a chance to know which leave we'd get, so you can argue that we should get a choice on which type of leave we have, and you could also argue that if the options were May's deal or no deal, people would actually prefer to stay (and would have 2 years ago).
That's exactly what a second referendum should/would look like. May's deal, no deal or stay in.

I still can't see what's undemocratic about that.

It's a vote on something tangible rather than the previous one where millions of people didn't have a clue what they were actually voting for.

So let "the will of the people" that we've heard so much about decide what ACTUALLY happens. Now that the people have real knowledge of what each option really means, the "will of the people" can be decisive. And then everyone can just get on with it, whatever "it" is.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I don't fear project fear. No need to cross my fingers or hope. Where there is the will, there is a way. Biggest problem we face is incompetent politicians not taking the country in the direction of actually leaving the EU. Leave with no deal and get a trade deal.

There will be changes but the rest of the world copes being a third country and so we just need to adjust. Plans have been made. Of course some changes will happen but that is what leave voters voted for Change!

I accept that this government have made a poor job of managing the change.

It would all be a lot easier if the result of the referendum had been respected by the whole country.

No deal means there will be no trade deals in place, not one. People keep saying we can revert to WTO, but Rusdia, China, USA & Australia are amongst lots of countries objecting to that.

Britain is running out of friends.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
No deal means there will be no trade deals in place, not one. People keep saying we can revert to WTO, but Rusdia, China, USA & Australia are amongst lots of countries objecting to that.

Britain is running out of friends.
So are people trying to f*** up any sort of Brexit by any means possible.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Rather like being stupid enough to vote for remain, since you've decided to start (well, not exactly start - remainers have been at it for over two pointless years) chucking in vacuous insults into the debate. Still, choose your own level.
With all due respect that doesn't make sense.

Sent from my BTV-DL09 using Tapatalk

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
So are people trying to f*** up any sort of Brexit by any means possible.
That's leave MPs surely ? Their problem is they won't vote leave any means possible.

Even Fox and Gove get that....

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
That's leave MPs surely ? Their problem is they won't vote leave any means possible.

Even Fox and Gove get that....

The ERG and the Tory right have created the environment for a 2nd referendum, if it happens they are ultimately to blame.

As May for claiming a 2nd referendum it would permanently damage politics, well I'm afraid the 1st referendum has already done that.

There are only 2 options that work, current deal or May's deal...

heathgate

NSC Patreon
Apr 13, 2015
That's exactly what a second referendum should/would look like. May's deal, no deal or stay in.

Of course the whole nation is going to fall for that not so subtle attempt to divide the Leave vote,..... resulting in an intact Remain vote against two lesser Leave numbers.... get a grip.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Of course the whole nation is going to fall for that not so subtle attempt to divide the Leave vote,..... resulting in an intact Remain vote against two lesser Leave numbers.... get a grip.

All other options break the GFA and/or destroy manufacturing, farming and more....(no deal or Canada) or ignore the referendum pledges (Norway). We need a solution that works, we need to move on, Britain in a paralysis

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama

Simple solution to that. Have a 2 way referendum with leave under May's deal or remain. No deal shouldn't be an option.

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
I don’t see why May can’t go back to the public with her deal. The vote was to leave and all she would be saying is: here is the deal, are you sure you want us to proceed with it. She has done her best and now it would be back it or remain.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
If there was genuinely overwhelming demand for another, because feeling had changed, then I'd agree with you. As things stand, the polls seem similar to the polls before the last one - ie, a slight preference for remain.

The main argument I accept for another referendum is the fact that we had to vote for leave before we had a chance to know which leave we'd get, so you can argue that we should get a choice on which type of leave we have, and you could also argue that if the options were May's deal or no deal, people would actually prefer to stay (and would have 2 years ago).

I would say that is the reason there is popular demand for one. If there was little interest in a second referendum, despite the fact that the outcome is clearer now than then, it would be less likely to happen.
In the end, the only reason may be that our PM cannot get her deal past Parliament without having it approved by a referendum first, a gamble but possibly the best chance it has.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
I don't fear project fear. No need to cross my fingers or hope. Where there is the will, there is a way. Biggest problem we face is incompetent politicians not taking the country in the direction of actually leaving the EU. Leave with no deal and get a trade deal.

There will be changes but the rest of the world copes being a third country and so we just need to adjust. Plans have been made. Of course some changes will happen but that is what leave voters voted for Change!

I accept that this government have made a poor job of managing the change.

It would all be a lot easier if the result of the referendum had been respected by the whole country.

No they don't, as has been explained numerous times on here and everywhere else. (Mauritania were the last, look it up). I have been told many times that leave voters aren't stupid, so will assume you are intentionally lying.

But keep peddling lies, it will make no difference in a few weeks time :shrug:

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
It doesn’t matter what form Brexit takes, it’s fundamentally flawed. Leave voters, no matter how much evidence they see to the contrary still think Leave is a good idea. This is why people think leave voters are stupid.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

I think the very start of this thread explains how it is that the leave vote would not be split.
In the poll above, Remain is leading, and No deal is beating Mays deal 19.3% to 15.4%, so Mays deal is discounted from the vote as it has the lowest support, and it is now No deal v Remain, those that had Mays deal as their preference now have their second choice taken into account, adding 9.6% to No deal, and 4.8% to Remain. Remain wins with 70%.
The interesting thing for me is there are 10% that would rather Remain than have the wrong sort of Brexit for them.

There are other ways of transferable vote counting, to decide the most popular outcome.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Simple solution to that. Have a 2 way referendum with leave under May's deal or remain. No deal shouldn't be an option.

No Deal can be an option, but people must know we won't be doing that on 29th March 2019, and that No Deal may well end up looking like Switzerland -, we will have bi-lateral agreements, and freedom of movement is quite likely to be included at some point in the future.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

You did it to yourselves . You voted for something and you had no idea what it meant so you’ll get what you’re given. Grow a spine and own it .

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Which is why the vote should be like in the OP.

heathgate

NSC Patreon
Apr 13, 2015
You did it to yourselves . You voted for something and you had no idea what it meant so you’ll get what you’re given. Grow a spine and own it .
Did I?...... you'll never know.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It doesn’t matter what form Brexit takes, it’s fundamentally flawed. Leave voters, no matter how much evidence they see to the contrary still think Leave is a good idea. This is why people think leave voters are stupid.
So you are saying that if there was another referendum, leave would win again (since you say that leave voters still think Leave is a good idea)?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here