Votes: 14 4.3%
  • Remain / TMs deal

Votes: 180 54.7%
  • Remain / No deal

Votes: 39 11.9%

• Total voters

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
Not party to this conversation ('prancing ninny' is on ignore) but is this by any chance a 'mock the rich liberal remainer' circle-jerk? Good luck with that. Sixteen million ponces with second homes is your enemy? In your dreams. And, in fairness, hardly any Brexit supporters are knuckle dragging morons, so please don't imagine I am quid pro quoing you. :kiss:

You surprise there Harry. I never had you down as someone who uses the ignore option.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
A bit long winded! You bang on about there being no requirement but where does it say that you can't have a second referendum before end of the two year period?

If you wanted the question asked again parliament should have inserted in a clause to the Referendum Act that said

A referendum is to be held on whether the United Kingdom should remain a member of the European Union.
The question that is to appear on the ballot papers is—
“Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union?”
In the event the electorate decides to Leave a second referendum will be held just to make sure

If you want to be in the EU campaign to rejoin after we have left, this is the correct democratic path.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
If you wanted the question asked again parliament should have inserted in a clause to the Referendum Act that said

A referendum is to be held on whether the United Kingdom should remain a member of the European Union.
“Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union?”
In the event the electorate decides to Leave a second referendum will be held just to make sure

If you want to be in the EU campaign to rejoin after we have left, this is the correct democratic path.

This is uncharted waters, there is no correct democratic path.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
This is uncharted waters, there is no correct democratic path.

Yes there really is
If a referendum gives a decision we abide by that decision (European Communities 1975, AV 2011). If someone wins an election we abide by the decision for them to form a government, we don’t run around like wet blankets insisting that election vote is done again before the natural conclusion of an election and a government is formed. The decision to Leave should be finalised and concluded and we should Leave the EU. You can then campaign to rejoin……fill your boots.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

You're banging on about there being no requirement and I'm just pointing out that, equally, there is nothing that prevents it. You don't want it because your shitting yourself that people are more educated about the situation than they were two years ago and the vote may swing the other way. So much for democracy.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Well, people can bang on all they like about TM's deal v no deal, but the reality is that there isn't a majority in parliament for either of these options, and both are dead in the water.

The only options now are Norway+ or a second referendum, the ERG have seen to that.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
You don't want it because your shitting yourself that people are more educated about the situation than they were two years ago and the vote may swing the other way. So much for democracy.

100% wrong. That is not why i believe the vote must not be done again.I keep repeating do the vote again, just do it after we have left. This rubbish reason about being scared of the result is usually peddled by those who cannot grasp democratic accountability and how fundamentally essential it is in the relationship between the people and Parliament.

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
Well, people can bang on all they like about TM's deal v no deal, but the reality is that there isn't a majority in parliament for either of these options, and both are dead in the water.

The only options now are Norway+ or a second referendum, the ERG have seen to that.

I think that unless the EU throws the UK a bone and extends the deadline the only option open to the UK parliament considering the above is to withdraw article 50.

This is the only option that is entirely within the UK parliament's power to enact. All the other options assume foreign powers doing the UK a favour.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Yes there really is
If a referendum gives a decision we abide by that decision (European Communities 1975, AV 2011). If someone wins an election we abide by the decision for them to form a government, we don’t run around like wet blankets insisting that election vote is done again before the natural conclusion of an election and a government is formed. The decision to Leave should be finalised and concluded and we should Leave the EU. You can then campaign to rejoin……fill your boots.

Could you post a link to the legislation you quote in your first sentence as I cannot find it?

My understanding is that in general referendums are not legally binding and do not compel government to act in accordance. An exception to this was in 2011 with the referendum to change the electoral system. In this case legislation was put in place to ensure the result was binding. To my knowledge no such legislation was put in place prior to the Brexit referendum?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
100% wrong. That is not why i believe the vote must not be done again.I keep repeating do the vote again, just do it after we have left. This rubbish reason about being scared of the result is usually peddled by those who cannot grasp democratic accountability and how fundamentally essential it is in the relationship between the people and Parliament.

If that's what you say then so be it, we'll have to take you at your word, just like quite a few did with the leave campaign.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Could you post a link to the legislation you quote in your first sentence as I cannot find it?

My understanding is that in general referendums are not legally binding and do not compel government to act in accordance. An exception to this was in 2011 with the referendum to change the electoral system. In this case legislation was put in place to ensure the result was binding. To my knowledge no such legislation was put in place prior to the Brexit referendum?

There is a link but for the sake of democracy, he won't give it to you!!!!

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2015/36/contents/enacted

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Doesn't feel at all weird to me. I want to remain, and would never vote for any of the other options because I don't believe in them.

I know the poll is only here as a talking point, and it's done its job in that respect. But if there is a second referendum the choices almost certainly won't be presented in this way. The current thinking is that there'd be another straight Leave/Remain option and then, a fortnight later (if Leave wins), a binary choice on the terms of the Brexit.
So if leave won, and then a fortnight later there was a vote on the terms of the Brexit, you wouldn't vote in that second election. That is weird.

Where have you got the details from on the current thinking of what a second referendum would look like?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Yes i know its 2015, its the referendum act, its the only legislation i think i have referenced

If a referendum gives a decision we abide by that decision (European Communities 1975, AV 2011)
I was referring this this?

Either way though where am i looking in the 2015 act to find where is talks about the government being bound to the referendum's decision?

I was under the impression that this was not the case.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here