• Remain / TMs deal

Votes: 180 54.7%
  • Remain / No deal

Votes: 39 11.9%

• Total voters

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Or alternatively, see if there is more support for May’s version of leave than Rees-Mogg’s?

It’s been pointed out many times that we need to be clearer as to what people actually want, as we currently don’t know because the question wasn’t asked.

In which case Remain shouldn't be an option.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
We already had a People's Vote. Some folks lost. They need to get over it and swot up on how democracy works. Or maybe we can rerun the last few General Elections also :shrug:

Well ... we will re-run general elections .... when there's next a general election .... and it's possible that some who votes will have changed their minds (or not turn up or are dead) and the result will be a different one. This is a well founded feature of democracy. The alternative of course is that we would still have the party that got elected in 1803.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Well ... we will re-run general elections .... when there's next a general election .... and it's possible that some who votes will have changed their minds (or not turn up or are dead) and the result will be a different one. This is a well founded feature of democracy. The alternative of course is that we would still have the party that got elected in 1803.

Totally respect your right to spout gibberish that clearly means something to YOU :thumbsup:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
We already had a People's Vote. Some folks lost. They need to get over it and swot up on how democracy works. Or maybe we can rerun the last few General Elections also :shrug:

Would you prefer the likely alternative which is backsliding to Norway type model without the people having a say?

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Eh....

I want out of Europe, I want the May Out and I don't give a feck about a deal....

I also don't want Corbyn sneaking in the back door...

There isn’t a simple leave option. You have to say which you prefer. If you then find that you’re in the minority, you’d have put the other leave option as second choice and your vote would count there instead. Otherwise, you’d find that remain might have the highest vote even though you’d have voted for that last.

It’s a fairly simple concept.

mac04

Nov 15, 2011
RH12
People turned down this style of voting in favour of our current system. Why should we use it here? Either we elect MPs this way as well or the referendum should have 3 options and you pick one.

If there is a second referendum, it would be interesting to see if the government use the AV system (which is obviously the only way to do it with one remain option and two leave options). I would love to see how they could justify it in this case, but not in General Elections.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
There isn’t a simple leave option. You have to say which you prefer. If you then find that you’re in the minority, you’d have put the other leave option as second choice and your vote would count there instead. Otherwise, you’d find that remain might have the highest vote even though you’d have voted for that last.

It’s a fairly simple concept.

Oh no it isn't.....

otherwise it would be sorted by now

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
You ever been to Norway? It's doing just fine.

Yeah, its a beautiful place, only has a few million people, is rich of oil and gas and is kind to its fisherman

Its also in the single market and customs union, pays into EU budget and has no say in the rules

OK with something like that for us?

mac04

Nov 15, 2011
RH12
I would too! It would make them look massive hypocrites if they use AV or open the door to another voting system referendum (perhaps a silver lining to all this).
But to be consistent with our current system they need to have all three options and the one with the most votes wins.

So, "Remain" could win easily with, say 48% of the vote. Maybe there is a way out of this mess.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
Assuming a ref wouldn't be held until Parliament has voted on Maybots deal (which would be defeated), then the inly conceivable option would be no deal/remain. Ambiguity is what caused brexit to win. People had a million different visions of what it would look like. Once May's disaster deal is out the way, we'll know Brexit will most likely look like a no deal cliff-edge. Cannot see any ref being held before parliament has voted on the deal.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Unless it comes with caveat of not happening for 10 years until all the billions of pounds worth of infrastructural and systems work is put in place to be ready for it, No deal shouldn't be on the ballot paper, so in the absence of a Norway+ option, I voted remain/no deal, because as no deal isn't sustainable for very long we'd be taking the Norway+ option quite quickly afterwards.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Why not just have two ballot papers, the first asking Leave/Remain, the second Theresa's shi!te deal/the even worse sh!te no deal?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
It would also represent the "will" of the largest group. The leavers are a splintered bunch.

The leavers never voted for something in 2016, they voted against something. Now they've been asked what they're for, they can't come to an agreement. The only valid response is to ask a slightly more complicated question, involving three alternatives that are all for something.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
Yeah, its a beautiful place, only has a few million people, is rich of oil and gas and is kind to its fisherman

Its also in the single market and customs union, pays into EU budget and has no say in the rules

OK with something like that for us?

Yes, it's my first choice.
Remain would be my back up option

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Sorry, but have to pick you up on that one.

My Company receives between 10-15 deliveries/collections a day.

Most of the drivers are Eastern European, and very pleasant.

Approx 50% of them speak little (or in some cases no) English.

Where our transport industry will be without foreign workers is another question - but to say they all 'have excellent English' is complete and utter rubbish.

Read what I said. I obviously haven't come across your drivers. That doesn't make my statement wrong.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here