Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Restaurant meals are higher calories than fast food outlets

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Interesting article about how food has got more unhealthy generally, using this photo of Brighton beach in 1976 to make the point.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/aug/15/age-of-obesity-shaming-overweight-people
That's an odd article. You say (and I agree) that food has become more unhealthy, but in the article he says we're consuming fewer calories than 1976. I suspect he's wrong and that (thanks in no small part to processed foods and sugary drinks) we're consuming more calories than we used to.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Unfortunately it's not this simple, all calories aren't equal -

https://drhyman.com/blog/2014/04/10/calories-dont-matter/

Secondly calorie in vs out isn't that simple either -

Lets say you diet with a 1750 in - 2000 out = -250

If you have a calorie deficit, your body sees that as a risk to life and goes into "energy saving" mode. Suddenly your 2000 calories/day burned become 1500. Now your balance is this -

1750in - 1500 out = 250 gain!

Obviously lots of other factors in play.

https://www.t-nation.com/diet-fat-loss/a-calorie-is-sometimes-not-a-calorie
https://www.transparentlabs.com/blogs/all/everything-you-need-to-know-about-thermogenesis
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC524030/

TL;LR -

Calories are a far too simplistic look at diet, there are far bigger issues causing our obesity epidemic.

Whilst some of that is technically accurate, for the majority, obesity is simply down to eating too much (or too much crap) and not moving enough - there doesn't need to be a lot of science involved, just moderation.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The last thing I want to see is calories on restaurant menus. Most people are savvy enough to know if you order a meal covered in creamy cheese sauce followed by a desert, a cheese board, coffee and cream all accompanied by beers or wine, you’re gonna be consuming a shed load of calories and can be sensible about what they order.
I eat in restaurants probably the same amount as the average person, will treat myself but be aware I’m consuming more than normal . I exercise and watch my diet and I imagine a lot of people do. Those that don’t aren’t gonna pay attention to calorie charts.
Nanny state. People need to teach their kids to exercise and eat sensibly but appreciate a treat for what it is.

Codner pharmaceuticals

Jun 17, 2009
Border Country
Here in Donald Trump's land of fatties, there is new regulation to have calories on everything. Whilst it scares the bejeesus out of me it helps me moderate over a day / week if I know I'm going out for dinner. So here I am browsing NSG with a 190 calorie veggie chilli at lunchtime before walking to a local Mexican tonight with my son tonight and enjoying guilt free.

The other ways in my soon to be published, just thought of the idea, how not to get fat in America book include:
- Share meals - our local Thai portion size was ridiculous
- The box it up take it home mentality - which we frequently do so 1 meals turns into 2.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Prawn cocktail, steak and chips with mushroom cream sauce and 4 slices of buttered white, creme brûlée, 6 Irish coffees and a kebab and chips on the way home to keep my strength up before my bedtime pack of digestives and two scoops of tutti fruity, quick bulb of brandy and some Stilton. Cigar to aid digestion, quick whiskey , couple of Rennies and off to bed. Repeat 5 times a week.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Now the key is, everything in moderation. Who eats out at a sit down restaurant for every meal?
If I'm going out in the evening, I'll have a lighter lunch to balance it out. It's not rocket science.

This.

As an aside, anyone remember Nouvelle Cuisine? I was taken to Chez Nico with a group in 1988, and the portions were miniscule. An American lad with us went to macky D's after the meal for a big mac and fries :lolol:

porzioni-ridotte-nouvelle-cuisine-1300x867.jpg

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Prawn cocktail, steak and chips with mushroom cream sauce and 4 slices of buttered white, creme brûlée, 6 Irish coffees and a kebab and chips on the way home to keep my strength up before my bedtime pack of digestives and two scoops of tutti fruity, quick bulb of brandy and some Stilton. Cigar to aid digestion, quick whiskey , couple of Rennies and off to bed. Repeat 5 times a week.

Are you what is known in the medical community as a Fat ****???

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Are you what is known in the medical community as a Fat ****???

Au contraire . I insist on my starter having extra iceberg, once a month I have a spa day where I have a carrot juice and a karate lesson and 8 times a year we head over to our time share on the Costa Brava where I will endeavour to get a couple of widths of the pool under my belt on the first day then I’ll spend some time shouting at foreigners to get the old lungs working. It’s all about finding a balance. I’ll bring back one of those giant Swiss health food bars from duty free too, the ones in the shape of the alps to denote a healthy outdoors lifestyle and they have nuts in them which are a health food so, win win.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Whilst some of that is technically accurate, for the majority, obesity is simply down to eating too much (or too much crap) and not moving enough - there doesn't need to be a lot of science involved, just moderation.

When I was a kid, the fat lad was said by his mum have 'glands'.

Yes, the 'greedy *******' gland being the key player in this ongoing situation.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
All they need is to make restaurants include the calorie count on the menus, so we can make more informed decisions.

They do this in the USA, however they are already getting flack from some people that it fat shames them when they order a high calorie meal.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Au contraire . I insist on my starter having extra iceberg, once a month I have a spa day where I have a carrot juice and a karate lesson and 8 times a year we head over to our time share on the Costa Brava where I will endeavour to get a couple of widths of the pool under my belt on the first day the I’ll spend some time shouting at foreigners to get the old lungs working. It’s all about finding a balance.

For some reason my emojis aren't working. Have a :lolol: and a :bowdown:

Edit they work as typed letters, as you see above.

Also, what are your thoughts about colonic irrigation? Apparently if you want to go hard core, you can get the caecum, duodenum and ilium done as well. Bracing!

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Interesting article about how food has got more unhealthy generally, using this photo of Brighton beach in 1976 to make the point.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/aug/15/age-of-obesity-shaming-overweight-people

(Sorry about double photo)

And article it is, filed correctly under opinion rather than fact. Monbiot has a well known agenda and is basically agreeing with a film that is itself an opinion piece.

As usual with any journalist he picks an answer first and then works backwards to prove it. Some of the links are extremely thin (sorry) in scientific process. The study that purports to describe children’s exercise for example is a 300 child study with no details on how the sample was randomised or corroborated and no meta analysis results of other supporting studies. Plus they were looking at diabetes and not exercise as a primary study - something Monbiot doesn’t mention at all. In other words he’s cherry picked it.

If I was after a serious explanation of the obesity “epidemic” I’d be spending years researching it and compiling meta analyses of studies, not cracking out 1000 words in the Grauniad to support my mock outrage about fat shaming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
For some reason my emojis aren't working. Have a :lolol: and a :bowdown:

Edit they work as typed letters, as you see above.

Also, what are your thoughts about colonic irrigation? Apparently if you want to go hard core, you can get the caecum, duodenum and ilium done as well. Bracing!

I had one once. Waste of brandy in my opinion.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
When I was a kid, the fat lad was said by his mum have 'glands'.

Yes, the 'greedy *******' gland being the key player in this ongoing situation.

The fat kid at our primary school was eventually ordered by his doctor to eat his meals at the school rather than go home for his lunch (clever doctor was probably wanting him to see what we ate). At that time some of us had a lunch box from home and some school dinners. His lunch box could have fed 6 of us no exaggeration and both he and his mum were arguing that he didnt eat any more than the rest of us (his mum was a friend of my mum).

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The fat kid at our primary school was eventually ordered by his doctor to eat his meals at the school rather than go home for his lunch (clever doctor was probably wanting him to see what we ate). At that time some of us had a lunch box from home and some school dinners. His lunch box could have fed 6 of us no exaggeration and both he and his mum were arguing that he didnt eat any more than the rest of us (his mum was a friend of my mum).

It is ALWAYS the parents. Philip Larkin had it spot on.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

Mr Monbiot seems to be making an error when counting calories then looking at the sources. if you need and consume about ~2000 calories, it doesnt matter much if you get it from brown rice and peas or yoghurt and crisps, a calorie is the same and you burn those carbs. then goes on to blame sugar which can bypass appetite control... infering we do eat too much, which earlier in the article he said we dont. which is it?
prehaps, those factors so easily dismissed (eating more, too little exercise) are true and the calories consumed are not very equal among the population?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here