banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
FA21840D-7FDC-4FA5-9730-340CE347E3E0.png

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I can't find a link now, but pretty sure I read that a beer belly is NOT caused by beer, but by kebabs.
It's caused by excess calories. Although you can get one without drinking at all, the shape is more indicative of excess alcohol, possibly because your liver is burning alcohol instead of fat?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I can't find a link now, but pretty sure I read that a beer belly is NOT caused by beer, but by kebabs.

Worrying ..... I have a small 'beer belly' but haven't eaten a kebab in 30 years. Can they really affect you after all that time ?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I really wish more people would do this. Mrs W and I often take stuff away ..... many people seem to embaressed to ask though. In parts of France it's the law that restuarants offer the ability to take left food away.

I hate the waste I see in many restuarants in this country just because people won't ask. You've bloody well paid for it so it's yours to take away !

This.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

You might have a point. I’ve never been convinced by the “water retention” argument.... more like cake retention.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Worrying ..... I have a small 'beer belly' but haven't eaten a kebab in 30 years. Can they really affect you after all that time ?

A second on the lips, a life-time on the hips.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm confused now. I have never eaten a kebab .... ever :down:

I’m usually drunk when I go for one but never so drunk I can’t ever remenber.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
the shape is more indicative of excess alcohol, possibly because your liver is burning alcohol instead of fat?

I don't think so - I think the shape is because men generally put fat on their guts whereas women's tends to go on their thighs and backs. Men are associated with drinking beer specifically and the association is made. There's also some indication that calories from alcohol do not have the same effect as those from food. https://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/act.../Is-booze-making-you-fat-Not-necessarily.html

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I don't think so - I think the shape is because men generally put fat on their guts whereas women's tends to go on their thighs and backs. Men are associated with drinking beer specifically and the association is made.
Men do indeed tend to put weight on their bellies, but it usually goes everywhere else too, while some drinkers get a beer belly while appearing slim elsewhere. I'm not convinced the idea of a beer belly is completely made up, but I don't know.

There's also some indication that calories from alcohol do not have the same effect as those from food.
Well not all calories from food have the same effect anyway - protein, for example, requires more effort from the body to process. The article you linked to only seemed to suggest that a couple of units a day doesn't do much harm, but then no one was claiming you'd get a beer belly from 1 bottle of beer a day.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here