Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] 40 years ago today: Three trains went to Notts...

... went to Nottingham Forest,
three trains two trains one train and it's band of fans, went to Nottingham Forest

for our only ever appearance in the quarter finals of the FLC (would be more than happy to be corrected on that one!).
Were you one of the unlucky ones on the other two trains ?

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
... went to Nottingham Forest,
three trains two trains one train and it's band of fans, went to Nottingham Forest

for our only ever appearance in the quarter finals of the FLC (would be more than happy to be corrected on that one!).
Were you one of the unlucky ones on the other two trains ?

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk

Nope, went by coach. Was grateful two didn't get to the ground, we were packed in tight in the away end without the extras.

Nope, went by coach. Was grateful two didn't get to the ground, we were packed in tight in the away end without the extras.
Expect plenty of (deserved) grief for that remark! As I recall, we were in the side. This was before its redevelopment as it was a large stand under which there were no seats. The only other times I can remember us being put in such sides were at Orient, Blackpool, Leeds Road and Elm Park. (also Swindon and Hereford in 1997 but they were double deckers).

bobbysmith01

Feb 6, 2015
I was on that train stuck in Kettering I think. So frustrating. I had a radio and was very popular as there was a major crush in my carriage as people tried to listen to the game. Remember the train finally moved after several hours to be greeted by loads of police on the station with dogs and riot shields expecting a smashed up train, they were surprised that there no trouble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
I was on train no.3. Made it as far as Kettering before it turned back. I remember it being stuck at Neasden for ages. Not many trains in those days could go through straight through London except by little used back routes. Free sandwiches at East Croydon. Strangely enough I’ve still never been to Nottingham in my whole life

Falmerfourtickets

Dec 14, 2010
I was on train no.3. Made it as far as Kettering before it turned back. I remember it being stuck at Neasden for ages. Not many trains in those days could go through straight through London except by little used back routes. Free sandwiches at East Croydon. Strangely enough I’ve still never been to Nottingham in my whole life
Actually they did. The direct service from Manchester to Brighton each way , used to divert off just past Clapham Junction and carry on through Kensington Olympia. However, there were speed restrictions and some single track navigation I believe.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
We suffered a breakdown too ... on the M1.

Left the car on the hard shoulder and, highly illegally, thumbed a lift. Jamie Baker, the then Argus reporter gave us a lift.

On the way back, I walked around the coach park seeing if any coaches had spare seats - got a lift back from the Varndean coach - didn't hear about the trains till later.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Expect plenty of (deserved) grief for that remark! As I recall, we were in the side. This was before its redevelopment as it was a large stand under which there were no seats. The only other times I can remember us being put in such sides were at Orient, Blackpool, Leeds Road and Elm Park. (also Swindon and Hereford in 1997 but they were double deckers).

Wigan, Wimbledon (Shitehole park)....?

Brovion

Jul 6, 2003
Went by coach. I was amazed when they announced that two trains hadn't made it as the away section was rammed. God knows how they'd have fitted another 1400 or whatever people in. Our equaliser, for me, was one actually of the highlights of the season (even though we went on to lose). We all went absolutely batshit mental. Still remember it now.

EDIT: And yes, the away 'end' was a side.

EDIT 2: And yes, it was the first time I heard the "We're proud of you" chant. I certainly didn't find it cringeworthy as we really were proud of them.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Was in the third train. Went to the Hove town hall showing and also Charlton away.

Missed out that year but was there two years later when we beat them. Pretty sure on that occasion the away fans were in the open end behind the goal.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
EDIT 2: And yes, it was the first time I heard the "We're proud of you" chant. I certainly didn't find it cringeworthy as we really were proud of them.

My memory could be playing tricks here but I'm sure we sang the "We're proud of you" chant at Derby, a couple of years previously.

And we were down the side for that game too.

Poyningsgull

Apr 12, 2007
I was on that train stuck in Kettering I think. So frustrating. I had a radio and was very popular as there was a major crush in my carriage as people tried to listen to the game. Remember the train finally moved after several hours to be greeted by loads of police on the station with dogs and riot shields expecting a smashed up train, they were surprised that there no trouble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

.....and I was one of them. 13 hours on that bloody train. Your radio was a godsend though.

Never been to an away game by train since.

Brovion

Jul 6, 2003
My memory could be playing tricks here but I'm sure we sang the "We're proud of you" chant at Derby, a couple of years previously.

Possibly, but f it was the away replay game I wasn't there. One of the few games, home and away, I missed during the period we used to refer to as the 'Glory Years'.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Still at school, we banded together and hired a coach from Plumpton coaches. Neither our school nor our parents knew anything about it!

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011

Left the car on the hard shoulder and, highly illegally, thumbed a lift. Jamie Baker, the then Argus reporter gave us a lift.

On the way back, I walked around the coach park seeing if any coaches had spare seats - got a lift back from the Varndean coach - didn't hear about the trains till later.

Oi!! That was our "Varndean coach" :D Happy days

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012

And you just left the car on the Motorway. That’s hardcore.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here