Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[NSC] Christmas Markets. Are you a MUG.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
We have quite a few in Eastbourne, but in fairness they don't offer anything startlingly different to what you can already buy in Aldi, Lidl, Morrisons or Sainsbury's for about half the price...

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I pity anyone thinking Germanic Xmas markets over here are worth visiting in comparison to the real thing over there. Still, as the bloke points out, plenty of fools here waiting to be parted from their cash. Saying that, who as football fans are we to say?!!

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
They started doing a "European Market" here in Telford a few years back - Mrs SS bought some dates without thing to ask the price first [yes, I know] - horrified at the price, we've never been back ....

I guess, the reason they charge so much is they have to make enough from 4 weeks trading to last them through until next year ....

However, given the choice between being a "mug" or a "Mancunian" - that is a very tough call, but mug just about makes the better of two poor options ....

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Lincoln was the first place to have a German market, here. I went on a coach, and really enjoyed it.
There was lots of food stalls, with Glühwein, and traditional crafts. I bought a set of Russian dolls from a stall selling only dolls. My set were done in poker work.

As Lincoln is so successful, many cheap imitations have sprung up. As with anything, let the buyer beware.

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
Theres one next to where im living. Its crap. Nothing of any worth unless you just want to pick up xmas decorations etc. and you enjoy drinking beer or hot wine in the bitter cold.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Hey family, we're going out tonight to the chippy, Wetherspoons, and a treat in the poundshop! Woohoo. (Yes I know we can go there all year but you can sit outside the pub and have a fag!) We're not mugs after all !! Oh and they have the news on so we can keep an eye on Theresa Mays shenanigans. Brexit will keep the traders out next year anyhow. Dont say I never treat you

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I've not been to a Christmas market. Or a "Christmas" anything. I hate Christmas and only go along with all the bollocks to try (with varying degrees of success) to stop the Mrs moaning.

I would much rather spend all the money we WASTE on a week in the sun when the weather's a bit nicer.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I've not been to a Christmas market. Or a "Christmas" anything. I hate Christmas and only go along with all the bollocks to try (with varying degrees of success) to stop the Mrs moaning.

I would much rather spend all the money we WASTE on a week in the sun when the weather's a bit nicer.

scroogepic.jpg

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Similar vein to all of these 'street food' outlets popping up everywhere. Trendy and cool maybe, but certainly not the prices of street food from where it allegedly originates.

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
Yup, a load of shiite. Chichester is festooned with objet de crap and GCSE level watercolours, and there's also a morose looking donkey the children can bother.
"A refurbished driftwood chopping board? That's £94 please"

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
HEY Manchester

Are you a mug or a manc?

2018/19 Season Tickets are sold out.
Take the first step towards securing any Season Tickets which may become available for future seasons by registering on the Waiting List today. Simply fill out the form below to join.
Any Season Tickets which do become available will first be offered to Official Members on the Waiting List, with priority given to those who have a paid a deposit. So to give yourself the best chance of securing a seat become an Official Member today, and consider paying a deposit to gain priority.

Thats right people you get to pay to be on the waiting list. We cant tell you the cost right now because we dont know what season you will be near the top of the list. Or how much it will increase by. Nor where you might sit

Or you a Mug or a Manc (utd) (or from South East Asia)

Last edited:

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I pity anyone thinking Germanic Xmas markets over here are worth visiting in comparison to the real thing over there. Still, as the bloke points out, plenty of fools here waiting to be parted from their cash. Saying that, who as football fans are we to say?!!

Haven't been to any in Germany admittedly, but was surprised to find that the one in Leeds was much better in terms of atmosphere and quality of stuff on offer* compared to the tat in Bruges.

*whilst ignoring the jewellery stall called "Crystal Palace"

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Yup, a load of shiite. Chichester is festooned with objet de crap and GCSE level watercolours, and there's also a morose looking donkey the children can bother.
"A refurbished driftwood chopping board? That's £94 please"

You are right.
I was in Chi the other day and I wouldn't buy anything I saw; but then again, 'Markets, Christmas or otherwise' have largely evolved from places where you may have got a bargain or value for money to a byword for 'rip-off' pretentious so called artisan goods , being sold at ludicrous prices.
Sad to say, the same goes for some over -priced gins and craft beers as well.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Similar vein to all of these 'street food' outlets popping up everywhere. Trendy and cool maybe, but certainly not the prices of street food from where it allegedly originates.

Oh come on, Everyone loves roasted chestnuts.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here